Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

ENGLISH & SPANISH PENSION (Moved to Spain Forum)

ENGLISH & SPANISH PENSION (Moved to Spain Forum)

Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

jane leggett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ENGLISH & SPANISH PENSION (Moved to Spain Forum)

Hi,

Hope yu can help. I have been working 15 years in the UK and hope to get my pension in June when I will be 65 (I did not claim from 60). Before coming back to England I worked in Spain. I have been told that I have to claim my Spanish pension via the UK and that I wont be entitled to any Spanish bit as they only take the last 15 years worked and of course I worked in the UK. They can take the years worked in Spain so that I can get full UK pension but I was hoping that I would get 2 pensions, part UK pension and park Spanish. Has anybody got any ideas.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ENGLISH & SPANISH PENSION

Originally Posted by jane leggett
Hi,

Hope yu can help. I have been working 15 years in the UK and hope to get my pension in June when I will be 65 (I did not claim from 60). Before coming back to England I worked in Spain. I have been told that I have to claim my Spanish pension via the UK and that I wont be entitled to any Spanish bit as they only take the last 15 years worked and of course I worked in the UK. They can take the years worked in Spain so that I can get full UK pension but I was hoping that I would get 2 pensions, part UK pension and park Spanish. Has anybody got any ideas.
Hello and welcome to BE.

I am moving your thread over to our Spain Forums where you will get a much better response to your questions.

BE is a large expat website...so it's understandable that you may have problems finding your way around our many forums. We have a team of concierges who will direct you around the website. You can find a list of their names at the bottom right hand side of this page.

Problems and complaints should be addressed to a moderator. The mods for the Spain forums are Fred James and Mitzyboy.

Please shout out if you need any further help.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ENGLISH & SPANISH PENSION (Moved to Spain Forum)

Hi,

It appears you are in Spain now but your post is not clear and there is not enough info to say exactly but you are entitled to both although one country may administer payment.
I'm sure someone will be along soon with better knowledge than me.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You will get a pension from both countries.

Lots of info here

http://ec.europa.eu/employment_socia...faq=0&name=Faq
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
It appears you are in Spain now but your post is not clear and there is not enough info to say exactly but you are entitled to both although one country may administer payment.
I'm sure someone will be along soon with better knowledge than me.
Thanks for eply. I will be retiring in UK and will claim my UK pension where I have worked for the past 15yrs. I worked in Spain from 1975 - 1995 (20 years) but am not sure whether I will get a pension from there as I have been told that the Spanish pension is only payable if you have worked at least 2 years in the last 15 before retirement which I have not as I went back to work 15 years ago and I have been told that all my spanish contributions will do is up my British state pension to the maximum ie. 97.65 gbp. Do you know if there is a way round this?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for eply. I will be retiring in UK and will claim my UK pension where I have worked for the past 15yrs. I worked in Spain from 1975 - 1995 (20 years) but am not sure whether I will get a pension from there as I have been told that the Spanish pension is only payable if you have worked at least 2 years in the last 15 before retirement which I have not as I went back to work 15 years ago and I have been told that all my spanish contributions will do is up my British state pension to the maximum ie. 97.65 gbp. Do you know if there is a way round this?
A couple of the Consulate staff are members on here and should be able to answer your question if they see this thread.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all

With regard to the last 15 years before retirement, it doesn't have to be in Spain. As long as 1 year was done in Spain at some point, you should have entitlement.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: ENGLISH & SPANISH PENSION (Moved to Spain Forum)

Your Spanish work will only be counted if you had a proper contract and you paid your social payments. If that is the case and you also have HRA you should get ( in aggregate ) the equivalent of a full pension from both locations.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 15th 2011 at 9:39 am.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Your Spanish work will only be counted if you had a proper contract and you paid your social payments. If that is the case and you also have HRA you should get the equivalent of a full pension from both locations.
Thanks - yes I had a full contract and paid all the necessary taxes, contributions etc but I left spain in 1995 and the social security office in Mallorca said I couldn't get a Spànish pension as I need to have worked at least 2 years in the last 15 before retirement which of course I haven't as I went back to the UK and worked there. I am confused...
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - yes I had a full contract and paid all the necessary taxes, contributions etc but I left spain in 1995 and the social security office in Mallorca said I couldn't get a Spànish pension as I need to have worked at least 2 years in the last 15 before retirement which of course I haven't as I went back to the UK and worked there. I am confused...
What matters is have you paid enough contributions in your whole life to be eligible for a pension.
Where you paid them is largely irrelavent. The ones you made in Spain will be added to your UK ones and count towards your overall eligibilty.
Call the DWP and tell them your details of payments in Spain and let them work it out for you, that's what they do, no need for you to worry.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:07 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
What matters is have you paid enough contributions in your whole life to be eligible for a pension.
Where you paid them is largely irrelavent. The ones you made in Spain will be added to your UK ones and count towards your overall eligibilty.
Call the DWP and tell them your details of payments in Spain and let them work it out for you, that's what they do, no need for you to worry.
This is good advice - within the EU you only need to have accumulated the necessary number of years to get a full pension.

Contact DWP or even 'DWPINSPAIN'