Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

english schools in mallorca or spain

english schools in mallorca or spain

Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

watson66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation english schools in mallorca or spain

can anyone help? we are seriously thinking of moving to either spain or mallorca but the biggest worry is schooling for our children age 7 and 10. Can anyone please advise where would be the best place to look.

Also is it very easy to rent out there, and find work.

Also do you still get family allowance and tax credits in living in an EU country.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Tracy
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: english schools in mallorca or spain

Originally Posted by watson66
can anyone help? we are seriously thinking of moving to either spain or mallorca but the biggest worry is schooling for our children age 7 and 10. Can anyone please advise where would be the best place to look.

Also is it very easy to rent out there, and find work.

Also do you still get family allowance and tax credits in living in an EU country.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Tracy

spain is a huge country & there are international/english/bilingual schools all over the place - I don't know about mallorca though

I personally would consider spanish state school - certainly for the younger & possibly for the older child too - though not much older than 10 years - not everyone here will agree with me

do a search on this forum - try just putting in 'schooling' or 'education'

I'm pretty certain that you would lose both of those benefits if you came to spain - I know family allowance has to have a UK address

work is really hard to find - even for fluent spanish speakers - indeed even for the spanish themselves at the moment - unemployment is climbing at an alarming rate
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:38 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

look I even did it for you

jobs
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1053617

education

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=1053633
Old Oct 15th 2008, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest Spanish state school asap, plus find yourself a native Spanish private tutor for your children after school maybe once a week. Our school actually (until this term - don't know why they stopped) had Spanish for foreign pupils lessons weekly as well, after hours. The sooner they're immersed, with at least 30% of waking hours among native Spanish speakers (to quote an article I read recently) the better. My 6 year old is now into his third year & although his vocabulary won't be as comprehensive as his classmates, his general understanding, tenses, pronunciation, etc., is doing fine. Older kids naturally will find it harder, so strike while the iron's hot. (nb all this has the caveat of where you set up home may have a backswood mentality for example on the education of girls, or no university expectations, etc..... but that doesn't usually kick in, if it's going to, until they're approaching 12 or 13)
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all

There is an English School in Seville which teaches the English curriculum, called Britannia.