British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   English Football (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/english-football-713590/)

marqueemoon Apr 16th 2011 10:01 pm

English Football

I know I am new here, and this has nothing to do with Spain (apart from the english bar I was in) but can I congratulate my team for 35 years Manchester City on beating the team from Salford?

I am really chuffed!
:thumbsup:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 16th 2011 10:10 pm

Re: English Football

Well done City.
Hopefully we will see a long overdue change in the pecking order.

jdr Apr 17th 2011 5:50 am

Originally Posted by marqueemoon (Post 9309316)
I know I am new here, and this has nothing to do with Spain (apart from the english bar I was in) but can I congratulate my team for 35 years Manchester City on beating the team from Salford?

I am really chuffed!
:thumbsup:

Try HERE.

agoreira Apr 17th 2011 7:42 am

I'm not a fan of either, but delighted to see United lose!;) And to see Ferdinand performing at the end was the icing on the cake.

agoreira Apr 17th 2011 8:47 am

And talking about sport, brilliant Lewis, great drive.

Dick Dasterdly Apr 17th 2011 10:07 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9309744)
And talking about sport, brilliant Lewis, great drive.

Yeh, nice one Lewis, though it would help if his mate could remember which team he's driving for.

Mitzyboy Apr 17th 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9309320)
Well done City.
Hopefully we will see a long overdue change in the pecking order.

Unlikely ... they said that about Chelsea with all the money they Obrmiwotsit threw at it, but not as much achieved as they thought

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 9309693)
And to see Ferdinand performing at the end was the icing on the cake.

I seem to remember it was one of the other team performing that sparked that off :D

Glad to see an interesting F1 race though with a brilliant win by Hamilton

rugbymatt Apr 17th 2011 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9310350)
Glad to see an interesting F1 race though with a brilliant win by Hamilton

Without a doubt the drive of the race was Webber, what a brilliant driver, no KERS (apparently) and he gained 15 places! Not since the MIGHTY Schumie have we seen that!

licinius Apr 21st 2011 8:12 pm

Fingers crossed Spurs dump Man City out of the top 4 places.

How refreshing it is to see a good honest football club near the top.

steviedeluxe Apr 21st 2011 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by licinius (Post 9319573)
Fingers crossed Spurs dump Man City out of the top 4 places.

How refreshing it is to see a good honest football club near the top.

Hmmm Honest? I too hope that Spurs make the top 4, and they're very close to becoming my London team - as I live in London now, I have to chose one. But I'm really not sure that the team of El Tel, and the various divers (and yes I know other teams try to hoodwink the ref for penalties) would meet my idea of "honest". As for their moving to Stratford - well there are some things in football I will never understand...

licinius Apr 21st 2011 8:48 pm

All teams dive that's not what I meant. I meant honest as in a genuine club & team of players who want to play for the fans rather than whores selling out to the highest bidder.

Man City fans are among the biggest hypocrites having claimed for decades that they are a family club but now they can't wait to BUY success. Their victory over Gillingham still sickens me.

Out of interest steviedeluxe why do you have to 'chose' a team? Surely if you're a true football fan you'll support your local team.

steviedeluxe Apr 21st 2011 8:55 pm

Out of interest steviedeluxe why do you have to 'chose' a team? Surely if you're a true football fan you'll support your local team.
Well since I'm in north London (just) that means Arsenal or Spurs. So they are "local" teams to me. But I don't see why it makes a difference - otherwise Man U wouldn't have so many fans. There are plenty of fans based in south London who support Arsenal or Chelsea. Theoretically Chelsea too could count as a local option, but there's no way I'd support that lot!

Dick Dasterdly Apr 21st 2011 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe (Post 9319591)
Hmmm Honest? I too hope that Spurs make the top 4, and they're very close to becoming my London team - as I live in London now, I have to chose one. But I'm really not sure that the team of El Tel, and the various divers (and yes I know other teams try to hoodwink the ref for penalties) would meet my idea of "honest". As for their moving to Stratford - well there are some things in football I will never understand...

Having had the chance to compare two games in one evening, I would say that the Spurs Arsenal game was like a breath of fresh air compared to the boring and childlike nonsense purporting to be Spains showpiece el classico cup final.
Lttle wonder that the UK Prem. is still the most popular league for viewers Worldwide