Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

English Butchers

English Butchers

Old Dec 22nd 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to beholdmitzipurr is a splendid one to behold
Post English Butchers

There is an English butchers opening in the New Year near the bottom of El Marquesado road just a short distance from the Opel Garage and not far from the roundabout...

No excuses now for not making good old fashioned Liver and Onions!!

Old Dec 22nd 2006, 6:30 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: English Butchers

Originally Posted by mitzipurr
There is an English butchers opening in the New Year near the bottom of El Marquesado road just a short distance from the Opel Garage and not far from the roundabout...

No excuses now for not making good old fashioned Liver and Onions!!

Hi Mitzipurr,

As I write the liver and onions is simmering away in our kitchen. Bought it from the local Spanish supermarket! Cant beat it better than English supermarket liver anyday!!

Sam
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

paulio will become famous soon enough

whats wrong with spanish meat!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 7:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We always use Spanish meat, much tastier and of course much cheaper
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 6:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
We always use Spanish meat, much tastier and of course much cheaper
Yes, we started getting our meat from a local British Butcher, but it's now all from spanish ones, as you say much cheaper, and I reckon it's better quality, we have no complaints at all, especially as we buy from the meat counter, not any prepacks.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 7:29 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Yes, we started getting our meat from a local British Butcher, but it's now all from spanish ones, as you say much cheaper, and I reckon it's better quality, we have no complaints at all, especially as we buy from the meat counter, not any prepacks.
Nearly always use Spanish butcher, but there are certain things I like to get from the Brit one (unfortunately around 70km to find the nearest - and fortunately the best). Getting the cuts you want is often difficult. I've never once got the Lamb Chops that I would like. So I get my lamb from the Brit place - unless of course, I want to do Lechal.

Not entirely convinced with the "Spanish meat is better" argument. Like in many butchers it depends. In general I find steak not as good as a nice Aberdeen Angus or even beef from France
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Nearly always use Spanish butcher, but there are certain things I like to get from the Brit one (unfortunately around 70km to find the nearest - and fortunately the best). Getting the cuts you want is often difficult. I've never once got the Lamb Chops that I would like. So I get my lamb from the Brit place - unless of course, I want to do Lechal.

Not entirely convinced with the "Spanish meat is better" argument. Like in many butchers it depends. In general I find steak not as good as a nice Aberdeen Angus or even beef from France
We have a British Butcher, just opened up near here, His prices for Lamb and Beef is much better than the Spanish shops, The steaks are some of the best I have tasted and on the Pork Joints you get the skin for the crackling! and the Sausages are to die for!!!¬

IMV you choose the supply for the occasion, IE BBQ Spanish, Sunday Roast English. Lunch snaks Spanish Meats, Breakfast Spanish, etc etc
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 9:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Spanish beef is the problem. Compared to English beef it is usually inferior due to the fact that it is usually just over a year old when killed (hence it is often called Añojo). UK beef is killed after at least 2 years and is usually hung for longer.

This is one of the reasons that there is so much good imported beef in Spain particularly from South America.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Spanish beef is the problem. Compared to English beef it is usually inferior due to the fact that it is usually just over a year old when killed (hence it is often called Añojo). UK beef is killed after at least 2 years and is usually hung for longer.

This is one of the reasons that there is so much good imported beef in Spain particularly from South America.
That is interesting. It is so hit and miss. I had a wonderful solomillo down at La Rambla restaurant in town (Chiclana) but last night I had solomillo at Venta Candela (Medina outskirts) and it was diabolical.

I will definitely pay him a visit Mitzipurr and see what he has to offer and how it compares. Hope he will make sausages and pasties. Let us know what you think if you get there first.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

Clive C is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glynis
That is interesting. It is so hit and miss. I had a wonderful solomillo down at La Rambla restaurant in town (Chiclana) but last night I had solomillo at Venta Candela (Medina outskirts) and it was diabolical.

I will definitely pay him a visit Mitzipurr and see what he has to offer and how it compares. Hope he will make sausages and pasties. Let us know what you think if you get there first.
I don't think I will bother, 40 euro's for a turkey! Complete rip off in my opinion and I also wouldn’t fancy any other meat supplies from somebody who I believe is not even licensed to be trading!
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clive C
I don't think I will bother, 40 euro's for a turkey! Complete rip off in my opinion and I also wouldn’t fancy any other meat supplies from somebody who I believe is not even licensed to be trading!
What are you trying to say? Surely the Town Hall would come cracking down on somebody trading as a butcher who didn´t have a licence.
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glynis
What are you trying to say? Surely the Town Hall would come cracking down on somebody trading as a butcher who didn´t have a licence.
A Spanish Town Hall and Licences is a contradiction in terms.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:23 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf42
A Spanish Town Hall and Licences is a contradiction in terms.
I know someone who knows him and, I believe, he does have a licence. The delay in it coming through prevented the shop being open before Christmas.
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:24 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clive C
Are you saying he was asking 40 euros for a turkey? How big was it, donkey size
Old Dec 24th 2006, 1:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

2 to 3 euros a kilo, turkeys near us and we are in ripoff area

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.