Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

England to Canada to Spain?

England to Canada to Spain?

Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of
Default Re: England to Canada to Spain?

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
I'm in the same position. I moved from UK to Richmond BC thinking that it would be warmer in BC but I don't like the wet weather there & the BC's weather is not far out from UK's weather.

So I'm now in Spain which Is OK if you're prepared for the cold winter for about 5 mths as the house in Spain is not insulated. I'm so used to the radiant heating with warm floors in BC but hopefully I'm prepared for the winter here this year.

If you like growing fruits & vegs, here is definitely better. I prefer Spain but rent the area first to see if you like it & then buy. Properties are a lot cheaper but also a lot smaller than BC.

Luckily though I'm a Canadian citizen I hold a British passport & is a UK pensioner. It is easier to mover over here as a British citizen even with shipping of your household contents over.

Hope this helps.
"....the BC's weather is not far out from UK's weather".

We live right under the mountains here, so we get so much more rain than Richmond... 28 days in a row is the record since coming here .

I do look at the winter temperatures for the eastern areas of Spain and all in all, taking into consideration that the summers may be too hot in the south, we opted for 'the middle coast somewhere' as the winters aren't too cold. Hailing originally from the north east coast in England we're pretty hearty!

We love Barcelona, Estartit, Figueres but it will be just too cold as you say. Perhaps we may end up on Majorca ... it's early days.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spritzer
"....the BC's weather is not far out from UK's weather".

We live right under the mountains here, so we get so much more rain than Richmond... 28 days in a row is the record since coming here .

I do look at the winter temperatures for the eastern areas of Spain and all in all, taking into consideration that the summers may be too hot in the south, we opted for 'the middle coast somewhere' as the winters aren't too cold. Hailing originally from the north east coast in England we're pretty hearty!

We love Barcelona, Estartit, Figueres but it will be just too cold as you say. Perhaps we may end up on Majorca ... it's early days.
Don`t panic, but one year it rained from mid December to March here almost non stop.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Spritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud ofSpritzer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Don`t panic, but one year it rained from mid December to March here almost non stop.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I remember that winter - 95/96 I think. There had been a seven year drought and all the reservoirs were empty.

After that winter they were all full again.

Rain here can easily come down at a rate of 4 inches in one hour - sometimes more.