British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/end-expats-want-move-uk-spain-post-brexit-936294/)

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 11:19 pm

Re: Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexi

Dont apologise for being negative, that's why I'm here to here what opportunities may be open to me. I agree jobs including my options will be gone in seconds but I'll still keep this on the back burner and sort things out with time and planning!

Rosemary Mar 24th 2021 11:44 pm

Re: Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexi

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987474)
Dont apologise for being negative, that's why I'm here to here what opportunities may be open to me. I agree jobs including my options will be gone in seconds but I'll still keep this on the back burner and sort things out with time and planning!

Learn Spanish. Research your options.

Think about what you would say to a Spanish person who does not speak English wishing to go to the UK for work.

Rosemary

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 11:51 pm

Hi Rosemary, good point, I understand, I'll get there, I can retire there lol I'm only 43 lol

Gozit Mar 25th 2021 3:46 am

Do you have any option for dual nationality? Parents or grandparents born on the island of Ireland would get you an Irish passport and therefore regain your EU rights.

If you have no family ties that could get you any EU dual nationality then you can always go to Ireland, live there for 5 years (you are allowed to as a UK citizen under the Common Travel Agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland), naturalise as an Irish citizen and then move to Spain after that.

Unfortunately you are looking for unskilled work so they would sooner give that to a Spanish / EU citizen over someone who needs to be sponsored on a work permit.

Moses2013 Mar 25th 2021 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12987510)
Do you have any option for dual nationality? Parents or grandparents born on the island of Ireland would get you an Irish passport and therefore regain your EU rights.

If you have no family ties that could get you any EU dual nationality then you can always go to Ireland, live there for 5 years (you are allowed to as a UK citizen under the Common Travel Agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland), naturalise as an Irish citizen and then move to Spain after that.

Unfortunately you are looking for unskilled work so they would sooner give that to a Spanish / EU citizen over someone who needs to be sponsored on a work permit.

It's been recommended and I also said it before, but it's not always that easy and becoming an Irish citizen means a lot more. Apart from that, you still need qualifications and skills that are in demand and unless you are willing to integrate and adapt, people who are focused on one country often struggle. No doubt there are plenty of opportunities here in IT and Intel just announced 1600 new jobs for Leixlip, but with Covid and other sectors maybe struggling, how easy would it be to find work? Fota Island Resort is looking for a Duty Manager, but probably has plenty of applicants and then you have other issues such as rental shortages and what does the 19 year old do? As always location is key and there are ways to make money with the right attitude and effort. But what happens after 5 years, because going to Spain and making money won't be much easier if you don't have the skills that are in demand .When people talk about moving to Spain, are they talking about Lugo or maybe Roquetas de Mar, as the two places couldn't be more different.

Notdunroamin Mar 26th 2021 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987454)
You know what, I guessed it wouldn't be easy!! Shall I pursue?

For clarity you cannot come to Spain without a visa issued BEFORE you travel.

Simplest is the 'non lucrative' visa which is basically for those who want to retire to Spain and can afford to support themselves, working is strictly forbidden.
For two people you will need a tad shy of €34,000 pa.

If you need to work then you must have a job offer from a Spanish employer, or possibly plans to open a business and the funds necessary to operate it for at least a year.

In short if you need to work then unless you have some sort of exceptional skill which is in demand in Spain, and which cannot be covered by a Spanish or other EU national, then for all practical intents and purposes the door is closed to you.

pommybird Mar 28th 2021 5:20 pm

Say we wanted to buy a property in Spain and live there roughly 4 or 5 months of the year and not work there, will we be able to do this? Will we only be able to reside in Spain for 90 days out of every 180 and if so if you fly back to the UK after 90 days how long before you can reside back in Spain?

Joppa Mar 28th 2021 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12988694)
Say we wanted to buy a property in Spain and live there roughly 4 or 5 months of the year and not work there, will we be able to do this?

Your stay mustn't exceed 90 days in any rolling 180 days, so to stay 4-5 months in a year, you can stay for example from March to June, leave and return September to November.

Will we only be able to reside in Spain for 90 days out of every 180 and if so if you fly back to the UK after 90 days how long before you can reside back in Spain?
90 days.

Stingychips Mar 28th 2021 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12988694)
Say we wanted to buy a property in Spain and live there roughly 4 or 5 months of the year and not work there, will we be able to do this? Will we only be able to reside in Spain for 90 days out of every 180 and if so if you fly back to the UK after 90 days how long before you can reside back in Spain?

you have to wait another 90 days in an area out of the Schengen zone. Seems like many British are already on their way home. The exodus has begone. Such crazy times. Even people in Catalonia are flabbergasted about not being able to drive their British cars about anymore. You see so many in the Catalan mountains.

Barriej Mar 28th 2021 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12988716)
you have to wait another 90 days in an area out of the Schengen zone. Seems like many British are already on their way home. The exodus has begone. Such crazy times. Even people in Catalonia are flabbergasted about not being able to drive their British cars about anymore. You see so many in the Catalan mountains.

Rather strangely, there seem to be fewer Uk plated cars in this area, than in previous years. However the number of Russian ones are increasing, there were 4 in the car park behind Consum in Albir on Friday.
We went into Benidorm last week and I think I only saw a handful of Uk cars, most were big 4x4 types.
There are 2 in the car park here in the village, but they both belong to the same couple, who usually only come here for a couple of months at the most, he had an accident just before Christmas and to save the hassle of going back to the Uk and leaving a car here, applied for residency and is having one of the cars put onto Spanish plates, the other one they will be selling or driving back.

The best place for Uk plate spotting is near Iceland in Benidorm and there is usually a couple parked by the Benidorm Palace (seeing as the camp sites are all there Im not surprised). I expect the local Police to be visiting the campsites later in the week to check.

Dxf Mar 28th 2021 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 12988715)
Your stay mustn't exceed 90 days in any rolling 180 days, so to stay 4-5 months in a year, you can stay for example from March to June, leave and return September to November.

90 days.

Hola,
You must remember it is a rolling 180 days. Most people will spend a month or two and then return. Therefore they can in theory return any time and will adjust to suit their lifestyle.
My method of working out is to say that today is day 180, therefore yesterday was day 179 etc. Then count the number of days in the Schengen area, If it is under 90 then you can return, otherwise no you can't

Davexf

agree_to_disagree Mar 28th 2021 10:46 pm

Can someone set up a webcam near Iceland please...

I want a live stream of the action and not have to wait until the footage of police catching UK illegals appears on TV.

pommybird Mar 29th 2021 4:49 pm

Thanks all, think I get it now....