British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/end-expats-want-move-uk-spain-post-brexit-936294/)

Stingychips Dec 30th 2020 6:41 pm

Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexit?

Do people think that spain will close the door on potential British expats post brexit.? The visa system that people have talked about will affect many holiday destinations like Ibiza , Tenerife and Majorca which rely on summer workers floating in and out of the country. Will the Spanish make it harder for British people to invest , potentially loosing out to another expat destination. Will be interesting to see how these next few months play out. The tourism industry needs British next year more so than any other year on record.

Joppa Dec 30th 2020 7:18 pm

Re: Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexi

This is my personal observation and prediction, for what it is worth.
I don't see Spain going out of its way to make it easier for Brits to stay longer than 90-in-180 days (which probably meets most people's needs).
There is always a demand for Spanish holiday/second home/retirement properties, because of the excellent climate and lower costs, and any slack left by British buyers will be eagerly taken up by other Northern Europeans, especially Scandinavians, as it's happening now. Here in Nerja, Scandinavian buyers outnumber other nationalities including British, and there are new developments (urbanizaciones) of high spec targeted at Scandinavian market.
British accounted for around 18% of foreign tourists in Spain in 2019, so not insignificant but a lot of EU/EEA/Swiss citizens continue to be attracted so any drop in UK tourists and expats won't be as devastating as some people predict.

Barriej Dec 30th 2020 7:21 pm

Re: Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexi

Don't see why, anyone with an average employment pension should be able to comply with the financial requirements (if I had stayed at work till 65 my pension was estimated at around £30k a year based on current investment) and private health care is already needed for residency, it might be slightly more expensive but I can't see why.
Police checks are easy to obtain (my daughter did this for Australian residency)

Summer workers on short contracts may still be allowed as like the UK, the local young may not want to work the hours for little pay (although this may allow more eastern europeans into Spain instead) and the Uk has already said that migrant workers on short contracts would be welcome, so there could be some agreement there.

Spain and the rest of the EU cannot make rules to penalise the Uk, as the Uk will be treated as any other 3rd country.
So Uk citizens should be able to follow the same route to live here as an American or Canadian etc.

Tourists wont have a problem, they should have insurance cover anyway (although most rely on the EHIC card). I have (had) free worldwide travel insurance through the Nationwide by having an account for over 10 years.

Visa wise travelling to the the EU will become the same as anywhere else in the world. At the moment I have a USA, Canada, Australian and New Zealand tourist visas still active, the African and Egyptian ones have now lapsed.

Easy to get, although at a small cost.

Stingychips Dec 30th 2020 7:39 pm

What about places like Benidorm and Ibiza. Places that have built up British communities. A lot of those places are seasonal so workers only work the summer months and go home for the rest of the year.

Stingychips Dec 30th 2020 7:54 pm

Ideally I want to move to Spain in the new year with my girlfriend and daughter. My mum has an Irish passport and I believe i am eligible for one too. My gfs parents also want to move out there for good for early retirement. They have maybe 40-50 k in their banks. Will moving/living/working in Spain still be possible or will it be that difficult that it’s not worth even trying. I’ve lived in Spain before andhave my NIE. My daughter is due to start school next September so would have to get her into a Spanish school as soon as possible. I’ve also put a deposit down on a cheap little house , but after reading all this doom and gloom I don’t know wether to walk away. Any help on this subject would be appreciated.

Joppa Dec 30th 2020 8:44 pm

With your Irish passport, you and your daughter are covered by EU freedom of movement. Is your girlfriend your daughter's mother? Then she can be included too, but if she is not, you will either have to marry her or enter into civil partnership, or or she applies as third country national for a visa. It's quite difficult to find a job in Spain that pays enough to maintain a family. As for your girlfriend's parents, they need non-lucrative visas, and the requirement is for annual income of around 32,000 euro for a couple, plus private medical insurance.

Stingychips Dec 30th 2020 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 12951608)
With your Irish passport, you and your daughter are covered by EU freedom of movement. Is your girlfriend your daughter's mother? Then she can be included too, but if she is not, you will either have to marry her or enter into civil partnership, or or she applies as third country national for a visa. It's quite difficult to find a job in Spain that pays enough to maintain a family. As for your girlfriend's parents, they need non-lucrative visas, and the requirement is for annual income of around 32,000 euro for a couple, plus private medical insurance.

Yes she is the mother of my child. Also we don’t mind getting married in Spain quickly to try and help things out. That was on the agenda anyway before my daughter started school.I have a business idea which I think would be enough to support me and my family. Also have my own savings and rent from property I own. Most of the clients would come from the uk anyway so as long as short term tourism can continue I don’t see how it would be affected.Does the lucrative visa have an expiry? I think they have over that amount in funds. Just don’t think that they will have that as an annual income.

Joppa Dec 30th 2020 9:19 pm

You can get married if you want to (much easier in UK than in Spain), but there is no absolute need to, as your girlfriend qualifies as your family member, though being married may make life easier when dealing with Spanish red tape. If you want to run a business, you need to meet the requirements as autonomo - self-employed person in Spain, which can be complicated so I suggest you get Spanish lawyer's advice.
Non-lucrative visa is valid just over 3 months, during which you have to apply for residence permit. Financial requirement is in terms of annual income. There is also a Golden Visa with a minimum investment in Spanish properties of 500,000 euro.

Stingychips Dec 30th 2020 9:24 pm

Do you know if I register as an Irish citizen wether I’ll be able to use my uk driving licence still?. Or at least would I be able to swap it for the Spanish document without taking the test?

Joppa Dec 30th 2020 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12951618)
Do you know if I register as an Irish citizen wether I’ll be able to use my uk driving licence still?. Or at least would I be able to swap it for the Spanish document without taking the test?

I don't know. UK citizen with UK licence has to initiate exchange by 31st December. If you have an EU licence (i.e. a licence issued by EU country), you can use it for up to 2 years in Spain before having to exchange it. If you can get Irish licence, it will make your life easier but you will probably have to live in Ireland first (you can ask the Irish embassy).

Stingychips Dec 30th 2020 9:49 pm

Thank you for your help.

bobd22 Dec 31st 2020 8:52 am

If I were you I would ensure your right to to the Irish passport is secured asap. I believe it is not a quick process from someone who looked into it. I would make them enquires quickly especially given you are in process of buying a property .

Notdunroamin Dec 31st 2020 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Barriej (Post 12951571)
Don't see why, anyone with an average employment pension should be able to comply with the financial requirements

There's elitist for you, you grossly overestimate the average persons pension resources!

There are many here who survive on little more than UK state pension and maybe a few quid in savings to smooth out bumps.

If they have one at all the average UK personal pension pot is around £50k which 'invested' in an annuity will yield around £2,500 pa in pre tax income.

For the majority the post Brexit financial requirements might as well be a million a year!

Stingychips Dec 31st 2020 9:22 am

Originally Posted by bobd22 (Post 12951731)
If I were you I would ensure your right to to the Irish passport is secured asap. I believe it is not a quick process from someone who looked into it. I would make them enquires quickly especially given you are in process of buying a property .

My mums father is Irish and born in Ireland so I think that entitles me to a passport. We applied for my mums and have all the documents ready to apply for mine like marriage and birth certificates. My mum got hers ok. At the minute the online passport application is closed due to Covid. Soon as it’s open I’ll apply.

Joppa Dec 31st 2020 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12951741)
My mums father is Irish and born in Ireland so I think that entitles me to a passport. We applied for my mums and have all the documents ready to apply for mine like marriage and birth certificates. My mum got hers ok. At the minute the online passport application is closed due to Covid. Soon as it’s open I’ll apply.

In that case you need first to register on the Foreign Births Register. There used to be a long delay and people typically waited a year or more till they got citizenship and passport. Irish government site says a typical delay of 12 to 18 months is expected after they start accepting applications.

Barriej Dec 31st 2020 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12951732)
There's elitist for you, you grossly overestimate the average persons pension resources!

There are many here who survive on little more than UK state pension and maybe a few quid in savings to smooth out bumps.

If they have one at all the average UK personal pension pot is around £50k which 'invested' in an annuity will yield around £2,500 pa in pre tax income.

For the majority the post Brexit financial requirements might as well be a million a year!

Ok maybe I should have said many, but I wasn't being elitist so please don't accuse me of it. I spent 40 plus years doing manual labour (ok some of it was worldwide but there you go)

But thats the problem with the word AVERAGE.
One person drives 45k miles a year (me before I retired) another just goes down the shops, but the Average is 12k a year for Uk drivers.
And I bet if you took a poll on here the AVERAGE pension would be higher (just saying)

There are thousands who have never put money in a pension pot, and up until 7 years ago all mine was put in by me without help from an employer etc and I have more than 65k. (even at a 2% increase a year if i had put £1,000 away each year it would be about £66,159.47, i worked it out. (and in the last couple of years my pension pot has grown 6.5%, although it dropped about 16% in April, but its regained that and another 4% since))

And most of my friends, most of whom have just managed to get by over the years but 2 of them are on final salary pension in excess of £70k a year (one was a tube driver the other one used to disappear for months on end and come back with suntans, but couldn't tell us why). :)

I just think the difference being that we wont get threads on here asking if any more handymen are needed in Benidorm (insert city, beach destination here).

There WILL always be people wanting to come here in retirement, after all its only a couple of hours back to the Uk.
I wanted to bugger off to the Caribbean, drink all my pension and then go and sponge off the Uk about 10 years later, but the wife wanted to be nearer her dad who has lived here for 20 years. (but seriously we wanted a base so we could visit our daughter in Australia and still travel if we wanted too and have a home in the sun. Didn't own a property in the UK but do here)

The only issue here is that previous to Brexit (or in the good ole days of the late 70's) you could just rock up here in Spain with little more than the basic Uk pension and some savings and sort of live Ok, not well of but just getting by. What kind of a life that is when you are old and don't bother to become resident or have healthcare, I cannot understand.

Will it stop people coming here to live?
YES of course but it wont be the end and it wont be Spain that does it (which was the point the OP was making).

Moses2013 Dec 31st 2020 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Joppa (Post 12951750)
In that case you need first to register on the Foreign Births Register. There used to be a long delay and people typically waited a year or more till they got citizenship and passport. Irish government site says a typical delay of 12 to 18 months is expected after they start accepting applications.

Still very long delays and it could even go up to 2 years the way it looks now.

bobd22 Dec 31st 2020 12:42 pm

I spent 22 years as you mention disappearing to the sun followed by 18 years wearing a big strange helmet so 40 years in final salary scheme and I don't get anywhere near the 70 grand pension you mention. My pensions are ok and I can live fine but I'm nearer the average mentioned by others . Obviously such pensions are dependant on how far one climbs up the greasy pole.

Stingychips Dec 31st 2020 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12951801)
Still very long delays and it could even go up to 2 years the way it looks now.

It it’s two years it’s two years. My mum managed hers in 3 weeks earlier on in the year. I know business owners who moved to Spain from places like Russia , United States , China and packistan. They have never been in the EU and still managed to settle in spain.

Moses2013 Dec 31st 2020 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12951842)
It it’s two years it’s two years. My mum managed hers in 3 weeks earlier on in the year. I know business owners who moved to Spain from places like Russia , United States , China and packistan. They have never been in the EU and still managed to settle in spain.

If you have 500K to spend on property not an issue but you still need a visa if you want to live in Spain legally. They are all listed here:

Visas (FAQ)

Joppa Dec 31st 2020 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12951842)

Your mother got her Irish citizenship from her father born in Ireland, so no need to register on foreign births register like you, which is really time-consuming.
You can get a visa to live in Spain as a third country national if you meet the requirements, including financial, health insurance, criminal history check etc.

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 9:21 pm

Hi guys!! So, this will have been asked a thousand times over, so im just adding to the queue! appologies! Id like to relocate to spain, im 43, and with my daughter who is 19. Im aware of the 90 day rule. Wondering if its easy to do a basic job in spain.......ive worked in a holiday park in the uk, doing everything from cleaning to duty manager. All i would like is a job to pay and i go, enough for the rent and living, .....what do you think !?!?! i don't speak spanish.

tebo53 Mar 24th 2021 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987444)
Hi guys!! So, this will have been asked a thousand times over, so im just adding to the queue! appologies! Id like to relocate to spain, im 43, and with my daughter who is 19. Im aware of the 90 day rule. Wondering if its easy to do a basic job in spain.......ive worked in a holiday park in the uk, doing everything from cleaning to duty manager. All i would like is a job to pay and i go, enough for the rent and living, .....what do you think !?!?! i don't speak spanish.

To relocate to Spain you will need to apply for residency. You will need to apply for residency through the Spanish embassy while you are still living in the UK. You will need to prove that you have full healthcare for yourself and all family members who will be relocating with you, paid for a full year and be able to meet all the income requirements.
Spain has one of the highest unemployment rates in the EU. It is highly unlikely that you will find a job now that the UK has left the EU. To successfully gain employment you will need to find an employer who is willing to sponsor your application for a work visa. All employment is required to be offered to a member of the eu.

Steve

hughandi Mar 24th 2021 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987444)

not an easy task at all.

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by hughandi (Post 12987449)
not an easy task at all.

You know what, I guessed it wouldn't be easy!! Shall I pursue?

tebo53 Mar 24th 2021 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987454)

"Should I pursue"

That depends on you really and how much you want to do it.

You need to apply to the Spanish embassy and find out the requirements needed for healthcare and income to be able to apply for residency

Steve

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 10:02 pm

Well that's a start, I'll make some enquiries! Must have a fall back plan anyway I guess!

Barriej Mar 24th 2021 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987457)
Well that's a start, I'll make some enquiries! Must have a fall back plan anyway I guess!

Do you drive?
If so you will only have 6 months after you get here and then you will need to take a Spanish driving test.

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 10:34 pm

I do drive but will stop, I'd like quite a simple life for my daughter and I, really just a relocation with a job that will pay rent and Bill's etc. Dont know if that's possible? I sweep the floors lol

Rosemary Mar 24th 2021 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987462)
I do drive but will stop, I'd like quite a simple life for my daughter and I, really just a relocation with a job that will pay rent and Bill's etc. Dont know if that's possible? I sweep the floors lol

With thousands of Spanish people willing to do any job in order to keep their families fed I do not think that there is much chance of you gaining work. When a job such as the ones that you are willing to do become available it goes in seconds as they use word of mouth a lot here. Sorry for the negativity but we prefer to be honest on this forum so will not give people false hope. As Tebo says it is necessary to start the ball rolling at your end.

Rosemary

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 11:19 pm

Dont apologise for being negative, that's why I'm here to here what opportunities may be open to me. I agree jobs including my options will be gone in seconds but I'll still keep this on the back burner and sort things out with time and planning!

Rosemary Mar 24th 2021 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987474)
Dont apologise for being negative, that's why I'm here to here what opportunities may be open to me. I agree jobs including my options will be gone in seconds but I'll still keep this on the back burner and sort things out with time and planning!

Learn Spanish. Research your options.

Think about what you would say to a Spanish person who does not speak English wishing to go to the UK for work.

Rosemary

siuk2eu Mar 24th 2021 11:51 pm

Hi Rosemary, good point, I understand, I'll get there, I can retire there lol I'm only 43 lol

Gozit Mar 25th 2021 3:46 am

Do you have any option for dual nationality? Parents or grandparents born on the island of Ireland would get you an Irish passport and therefore regain your EU rights.

If you have no family ties that could get you any EU dual nationality then you can always go to Ireland, live there for 5 years (you are allowed to as a UK citizen under the Common Travel Agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland), naturalise as an Irish citizen and then move to Spain after that.

Unfortunately you are looking for unskilled work so they would sooner give that to a Spanish / EU citizen over someone who needs to be sponsored on a work permit.

Moses2013 Mar 25th 2021 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 12987510)
Do you have any option for dual nationality? Parents or grandparents born on the island of Ireland would get you an Irish passport and therefore regain your EU rights.

If you have no family ties that could get you any EU dual nationality then you can always go to Ireland, live there for 5 years (you are allowed to as a UK citizen under the Common Travel Agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland), naturalise as an Irish citizen and then move to Spain after that.

Unfortunately you are looking for unskilled work so they would sooner give that to a Spanish / EU citizen over someone who needs to be sponsored on a work permit.

It's been recommended and I also said it before, but it's not always that easy and becoming an Irish citizen means a lot more. Apart from that, you still need qualifications and skills that are in demand and unless you are willing to integrate and adapt, people who are focused on one country often struggle. No doubt there are plenty of opportunities here in IT and Intel just announced 1600 new jobs for Leixlip, but with Covid and other sectors maybe struggling, how easy would it be to find work? Fota Island Resort is looking for a Duty Manager, but probably has plenty of applicants and then you have other issues such as rental shortages and what does the 19 year old do? As always location is key and there are ways to make money with the right attitude and effort. But what happens after 5 years, because going to Spain and making money won't be much easier if you don't have the skills that are in demand .When people talk about moving to Spain, are they talking about Lugo or maybe Roquetas de Mar, as the two places couldn't be more different.

Notdunroamin Mar 26th 2021 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by siuk2eu (Post 12987454)

For clarity you cannot come to Spain without a visa issued BEFORE you travel.

Simplest is the 'non lucrative' visa which is basically for those who want to retire to Spain and can afford to support themselves, working is strictly forbidden.
For two people you will need a tad shy of €34,000 pa.

If you need to work then you must have a job offer from a Spanish employer, or possibly plans to open a business and the funds necessary to operate it for at least a year.

In short if you need to work then unless you have some sort of exceptional skill which is in demand in Spain, and which cannot be covered by a Spanish or other EU national, then for all practical intents and purposes the door is closed to you.

pommybird Mar 28th 2021 5:20 pm

Say we wanted to buy a property in Spain and live there roughly 4 or 5 months of the year and not work there, will we be able to do this? Will we only be able to reside in Spain for 90 days out of every 180 and if so if you fly back to the UK after 90 days how long before you can reside back in Spain?

Joppa Mar 28th 2021 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12988694)
Say we wanted to buy a property in Spain and live there roughly 4 or 5 months of the year and not work there, will we be able to do this?

Your stay mustn't exceed 90 days in any rolling 180 days, so to stay 4-5 months in a year, you can stay for example from March to June, leave and return September to November.

Will we only be able to reside in Spain for 90 days out of every 180 and if so if you fly back to the UK after 90 days how long before you can reside back in Spain?
90 days.

Stingychips Mar 28th 2021 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 12988694)
Say we wanted to buy a property in Spain and live there roughly 4 or 5 months of the year and not work there, will we be able to do this? Will we only be able to reside in Spain for 90 days out of every 180 and if so if you fly back to the UK after 90 days how long before you can reside back in Spain?

you have to wait another 90 days in an area out of the Schengen zone. Seems like many British are already on their way home. The exodus has begone. Such crazy times. Even people in Catalonia are flabbergasted about not being able to drive their British cars about anymore. You see so many in the Catalan mountains.

Barriej Mar 28th 2021 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 12988716)
you have to wait another 90 days in an area out of the Schengen zone. Seems like many British are already on their way home. The exodus has begone. Such crazy times. Even people in Catalonia are flabbergasted about not being able to drive their British cars about anymore. You see so many in the Catalan mountains.

Rather strangely, there seem to be fewer Uk plated cars in this area, than in previous years. However the number of Russian ones are increasing, there were 4 in the car park behind Consum in Albir on Friday.
We went into Benidorm last week and I think I only saw a handful of Uk cars, most were big 4x4 types.
There are 2 in the car park here in the village, but they both belong to the same couple, who usually only come here for a couple of months at the most, he had an accident just before Christmas and to save the hassle of going back to the Uk and leaving a car here, applied for residency and is having one of the cars put onto Spanish plates, the other one they will be selling or driving back.

The best place for Uk plate spotting is near Iceland in Benidorm and there is usually a couple parked by the Benidorm Palace (seeing as the camp sites are all there Im not surprised). I expect the local Police to be visiting the campsites later in the week to check.