Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexit?

Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexit?

Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexi

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
There's elitist for you, you grossly overestimate the average persons pension resources!

There are many here who survive on little more than UK state pension and maybe a few quid in savings to smooth out bumps.

If they have one at all the average UK personal pension pot is around £50k which 'invested' in an annuity will yield around £2,500 pa in pre tax income.

For the majority the post Brexit financial requirements might as well be a million a year!
Ok maybe I should have said many, but I wasn't being elitist so please don't accuse me of it. I spent 40 plus years doing manual labour (ok some of it was worldwide but there you go)

But thats the problem with the word AVERAGE.
One person drives 45k miles a year (me before I retired) another just goes down the shops, but the Average is 12k a year for Uk drivers.
And I bet if you took a poll on here the AVERAGE pension would be higher (just saying)

There are thousands who have never put money in a pension pot, and up until 7 years ago all mine was put in by me without help from an employer etc and I have more than 65k. (even at a 2% increase a year if i had put £1,000 away each year it would be about £66,159.47, i worked it out. (and in the last couple of years my pension pot has grown 6.5%, although it dropped about 16% in April, but its regained that and another 4% since))

And most of my friends, most of whom have just managed to get by over the years but 2 of them are on final salary pension in excess of £70k a year (one was a tube driver the other one used to disappear for months on end and come back with suntans, but couldn't tell us why).

I just think the difference being that we wont get threads on here asking if any more handymen are needed in Benidorm (insert city, beach destination here).

There WILL always be people wanting to come here in retirement, after all its only a couple of hours back to the Uk.
I wanted to bugger off to the Caribbean, drink all my pension and then go and sponge off the Uk about 10 years later, but the wife wanted to be nearer her dad who has lived here for 20 years. (but seriously we wanted a base so we could visit our daughter in Australia and still travel if we wanted too and have a home in the sun. Didn't own a property in the UK but do here)

The only issue here is that previous to Brexit (or in the good ole days of the late 70's) you could just rock up here in Spain with little more than the basic Uk pension and some savings and sort of live Ok, not well of but just getting by. What kind of a life that is when you are old and don't bother to become resident or have healthcare, I cannot understand.

Will it stop people coming here to live?
YES of course but it wont be the end and it wont be Spain that does it (which was the point the OP was making).

Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is this the end for Expats that want to move from the UK to Spain post brexi

Originally Posted by Joppa
In that case you need first to register on the Foreign Births Register. There used to be a long delay and people typically waited a year or more till they got citizenship and passport. Irish government site says a typical delay of 12 to 18 months is expected after they start accepting applications.
Still very long delays and it could even go up to 2 years the way it looks now.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I spent 22 years as you mention disappearing to the sun followed by 18 years wearing a big strange helmet so 40 years in final salary scheme and I don't get anywhere near the 70 grand pension you mention. My pensions are ok and I can live fine but I'm nearer the average mentioned by others . Obviously such pensions are dependant on how far one climbs up the greasy pole.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Still very long delays and it could even go up to 2 years the way it looks now.
It it’s two years it’s two years. My mum managed hers in 3 weeks earlier on in the year. I know business owners who moved to Spain from places like Russia , United States , China and packistan. They have never been in the EU and still managed to settle in spain.
Old Dec 31st 2020, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
It it’s two years it’s two years. My mum managed hers in 3 weeks earlier on in the year. I know business owners who moved to Spain from places like Russia , United States , China and packistan. They have never been in the EU and still managed to settle in spain.
If you have 500K to spend on property not an issue but you still need a visa if you want to live in Spain legally. They are all listed here:

Visas (FAQ)
Old Dec 31st 2020, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Your mother got her Irish citizenship from her father born in Ireland, so no need to register on foreign births register like you, which is really time-consuming.
You can get a visa to live in Spain as a third country national if you meet the requirements, including financial, health insurance, criminal history check etc.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

siuk2eu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys!! So, this will have been asked a thousand times over, so im just adding to the queue! appologies! Id like to relocate to spain, im 43, and with my daughter who is 19. Im aware of the 90 day rule. Wondering if its easy to do a basic job in spain.......ive worked in a holiday park in the uk, doing everything from cleaning to duty manager. All i would like is a job to pay and i go, enough for the rent and living, .....what do you think !?!?! i don't speak spanish.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siuk2eu
Hi guys!! So, this will have been asked a thousand times over, so im just adding to the queue! appologies! Id like to relocate to spain, im 43, and with my daughter who is 19. Im aware of the 90 day rule. Wondering if its easy to do a basic job in spain.......ive worked in a holiday park in the uk, doing everything from cleaning to duty manager. All i would like is a job to pay and i go, enough for the rent and living, .....what do you think !?!?! i don't speak spanish.
To relocate to Spain you will need to apply for residency. You will need to apply for residency through the Spanish embassy while you are still living in the UK. You will need to prove that you have full healthcare for yourself and all family members who will be relocating with you, paid for a full year and be able to meet all the income requirements.
Spain has one of the highest unemployment rates in the EU. It is highly unlikely that you will find a job now that the UK has left the EU. To successfully gain employment you will need to find an employer who is willing to sponsor your application for a work visa. All employment is required to be offered to a member of the eu.

Steve

Last edited by tebo53; Mar 24th 2021 at 9:41 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

hughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond reputehughandi has a reputation beyond repute

not an easy task at all.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hughandi
not an easy task at all.
You know what, I guessed it wouldn't be easy!! Shall I pursue?
Old Mar 24th 2021, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

You know what, I guessed it wouldn't be easy!! Shall I pursue?
"Should I pursue"

That depends on you really and how much you want to do it.

You need to apply to the Spanish embassy and find out the requirements needed for healthcare and income to be able to apply for residency

Steve
Old Mar 24th 2021, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Well that's a start, I'll make some enquiries! Must have a fall back plan anyway I guess!
Old Mar 24th 2021, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Well that's a start, I'll make some enquiries! Must have a fall back plan anyway I guess!
Do you drive?
If so you will only have 6 months after you get here and then you will need to take a Spanish driving test.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

I do drive but will stop, I'd like quite a simple life for my daughter and I, really just a relocation with a job that will pay rent and Bill's etc. Dont know if that's possible? I sweep the floors lol
Old Mar 24th 2021, 11:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I do drive but will stop, I'd like quite a simple life for my daughter and I, really just a relocation with a job that will pay rent and Bill's etc. Dont know if that's possible? I sweep the floors lol
With thousands of Spanish people willing to do any job in order to keep their families fed I do not think that there is much chance of you gaining work. When a job such as the ones that you are willing to do become available it goes in seconds as they use word of mouth a lot here. Sorry for the negativity but we prefer to be honest on this forum so will not give people false hope. As Tebo says it is necessary to start the ball rolling at your end.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.