Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the end of the euro in Spain

the end of the euro in Spain

Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the end of the euro in Spain

Originally Posted by jackytoo
In the meantime the almost bankrupt countries still have to find a way to pay their debts. Friday's summit meant nothing, that's why the markets have fallen today and borrowing costs are climbing again. UK isolated....I wish
Erm, the UK is almost bankrupt too. It is actually the most indebted country on the planet, along with Japan, even higher than the US

You guys dont get it, Europe is in a better state of health than the UK. The Euro problems are structural not cronic. The summit will change the rules of the ballgame so Europe can be more in control of their financial destiny (e.g. having control of the bond markets, European ratings agencies)

When this happens the EU will be control of their own debt and then noone will buy the UK's. Then the UK goes down the pan

I was talking to investment banker only on Friday, a UK one - and this was his prognosis. The UK is increasingly irrelevant to the US, if it becomes irrelevant to Europe too there will be disaster. Already a lot of the international finance operations have moved to the Far East
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:11 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I dont know what newspapers you read, but some of your opinions are strange

The summit deal isnt failing, everyone is behind it except the UK. Which means it will be passed but the UK will be isolated from Europe
I dont read newspapers - they're too busy printing doom, gloom and scaremongering to believe much of what they say

Jo xxx
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:20 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Erm, the UK is almost bankrupt too. It is actually the most indebted country on the planet, along with Japan, even higher than the US

You guys dont get it, Europe is in a better state of health than the UK. The Euro problems are structural not cronic. The summit will change the rules of the ballgame so Europe can be more in control of their financial destiny (e.g. having control of the bond markets, European ratings agencies)

When this happens the EU will be control of their own debt and then noone will buy the UK's. Then the UK goes down the pan

I was talking to investment banker only on Friday, a UK one - and this was his prognosis. The UK is increasingly irrelevant to the US, if it becomes irrelevant to Europe too there will be disaster. Already a lot of the international finance operations have moved to the Far East
Investment bankers all have different views and opinions, just like everyone else. No not everyone "gets it" cos the media dont seem to "get it" , oh and like to sensationaize (Good news is no news!) and therefore are printing complete tosh! The Uk isnt in a good shape, however, the UK is able to get itself back on track, albeit slowly and is showing that it is making good inroads!

Jo xxx
Old Dec 12th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Investment bankers all have different views and opinions, just like everyone else. No not everyone "gets it" cos the media dont seem to "get it" , oh and like to sensationaize (Good news is no news!) and therefore are printing complete tosh! The Uk isnt in a good shape, however, the UK is able to get itself back on track, albeit slowly and is showing that it is making good inroads!

Jo xxx
Yes of course. You are taking the optimistic view, I was stating the pesimistic one

The point I wanted to make it that apparently 70% of Brits support what Cameron did, so they want to be gloriously isolated which I find crazy

But probably that is because the lying sensationalist press in the UK have been saying that the UK have been bankrolling Europe for years when the very opposite is true. With Thatchers rebate the UK were barely even net contributers

One of the papers I read today said it wasnt fair because the UK contribute one third more to the EU than Spain. However, they didnt mention that the UK's population is one third higher than Spain's
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:02 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

No country can control it's debt unless it owns it. No the UK is not in a good state but it is better than the eurozone as is it's banks. 3 French banks were downgraded on Friday and La Mancha has had it's debts graded to junk. One of the reasons European banks are in a mess is because they pretended they didn't have a problem. The UK can still attract investors at a little over 2%...what is Spains...5%+. Many of Europes banks need re-financing, that didn't come from the UK media.

Maybe we will get our fishing rights back now which we handed to Europe on a plate.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo

Maybe we will get our fishing rights back now which we handed to Europe on a plate.
One of the things I find shocking is the "this vs. them" attitude typified by the comment above

Did you really not relate to Spaniards or other Europeans having lived in Europe so long? How can people who are so staunchly in defense of their country not want to live there?

If I loved Britain so much I would never have left
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

French Presidential candidate Francois Hollande who is ahead in the polls at the moment would renegotiate the deal on the Euro.
He is not happy that France has bowed to German pressure.
So don't think everything in the Euro garden is lovely
Old Dec 12th 2011, 2:31 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
French Presidential candidate Francois Hollande who is ahead in the polls at the moment would renegotiate the deal on the Euro.
I would suggest France isnt the only one

They all know they signed up for a common marketplace, where you can cross borders without much hassle, theoretically pay the same price for something irrespective of which country you buy it in.
But none of them agreed to sign up for the German austerity, no laughs a minute lifestyle, where German fiscal stormtroopers will come in and tell you how much you must save, how much you can spend and on what.

Perhaps that is what is wrong with the Eurozone, they are all pulling in different directions, all want their interest before depositing the money.
whilst Merkozy want UK to be party so they can demand more payments from us to protect them in their forthcoming elections. Sarkozy even talked Carla into having a baby to get the sympathy vote.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

One of the things I find shocking is the "this vs. them" attitude typified by the comment above

Did you really not relate to Spaniards or other Europeans having lived in Europe so long? How can people who are so staunchly in defense of their country not want to live there?

If I loved Britain so much I would never have left
Call me old fashioned but isn't this exactly the same way as you see things but from Spanish perspective?
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Though a painful read for a British national, the article is spot on. The Eurozone especially, and even the EU itself, is much better off without the UK trying to block every move to move forward.

The UK may also be much better off out of the EU, but maybe that only applies to England and not Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales.

England and the Tories will cling to the idea of Empire, and the friends across the Atlantic, for at least another hundred years; Labour might change its mind in twenty, leaving only the Lib/Dems to beat the tiny drum for Europe.

And after their act of treachery in siding with the boys from Eaton, who's going to vote for them?
Do you only ever read things that agree with your point of view? I only ask because while everyone else is developing the thread into a nice healthy discussion you are banging the same drum! This isn't about party politics, Cameroon was left with only one option, it was reported today at the lunchtime news that France wouldn't even listed to any concessions made by the UK, they wouldn't even hear what the UK had to say, what do you think his options were when that happened? Open your mind a little and just accept that who ever was in power the result would be the same... Oh and the whole Eaton thing is a little boring now...

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
Interesting you mention Hollande as its the upcoming Presidential Elections that I feel is driving the Poison Dwarf more than anything else... shock horror, a politician looking after their own interests!
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Call me old fashioned but isn't this exactly the same way as you see things but from Spanish perspective?
Not at all. Most the time in here I am just redressing the balance
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all. Most the time in here I am just redressing the balance
Fair enough if that's what you think. I suspect there's a few that may not see it that way.
Just an observation looking at your posts on various threads.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 4:18 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough if that's what you think. I suspect there's a few that may not see it that way.
swings with the wind
Old Dec 12th 2011, 7:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The few that may not see it that way are the few that sit in the UK slagging off Spain all the time and blaming it for all the problems in the world.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:21 pm
squeaky clean

Yes of course. You are taking the optimistic view, I was stating the pesimistic one

The point I wanted to make it that apparently 70% of Brits support what Cameron did, so they want to be gloriously isolated which I find crazy

But probably that is because the lying sensationalist press in the UK have been saying that the UK have been bankrolling Europe for years when the very opposite is true. With Thatchers rebate the UK were barely even net contributers

One of the papers I read today said it wasnt fair because the UK contribute one third more to the EU than Spain. However, they didnt mention that the UK's population is one third higher than Spain's
I'm just pleased to see the UK standing up for itself for a change and not being a wimpy little country who does as the "oh so important" Germany tell us to. Isolated??????? Nah, Sweden isnt going to sign either - they say they're putting it to referendum, but we all know that the result will be a "no", the others arent sure yet IMO, the UK are leading this and far from isolating themselves

BTW, I love Spain, but this topic isnt about who we like the best, its about the issue surrounding this recent treaty and the problems in the Eurozone!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Dec 12th 2011 at 9:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.