Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the end of the euro in Spain

the end of the euro in Spain

Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of
Default Re: the end of the euro in Spain

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well, although its unlikely Spain will throw you out, you may find the restrictions on work, education and health care for pensioners etc restricted if the UK completely isolates itself from the rest of Europe

Some people would still be alright, but maybe people couldnt stay if they werent able to work or access the state health or education systems. All the British pensioners for example who benefit from the health agreement between the UK and Spain. If that were to be taken away, many may have to go home
Evidence for your basis please.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:35 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tex_ritter
Evidence for your basis please.
Just in case you are not too sure, this is a discussion forum, not a court of law.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I can see that we appear to be equally divided between people who live in Spain and want to stay in the EU, and those who don't and don't care.

Common sense, I suppose.
You missed those of us who live in Spain and would have gladly seen the UK leave Europe a long time ago
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:06 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I can see that we appear to be equally divided between people who live in Spain and want to stay in the EU, and those who don't and don't care.

Common sense, I suppose.
Well, I live and work in Spain and although I guess I would prefer it if the UK stayed in the EU, I also acknowledge that there are many (many more than live in Spain) that live in countries outside of the EU (Australia, the USA and Canada to name just three) that get on just fine, always have done and may very well carry on doing so. We'll just have to ask them how on earth they manage it rather than just throwing in the towel and "going home" won't we?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Well, I live and work in Spain and although I guess I would prefer it if the UK stayed in the EU, I also acknowledge that there are many (many more than live in Spain) that live in countries outside of the EU (Australia, the USA and Canada to name just three) that get on just fine, always have done and may very well carry on doing so. We'll just have to ask them how on earth they manage it rather than just throwing in the towel and "going home" won't we?
could you imagine the length of the queue at the Human Rights court if it was decided to kick all the Brits out of Spain, France, Germany, Italy etc etc because of this.

France and Germany have an unholy alliance, and have had since the end of WWII, with France prefering one enemy to one friend. Many cannot understand what underlies this alliance - has someone got Hitler's gold salted away?
The UK is the best performer when it comes to complying with EU legislation, most others seem to do what they want irrespective, and yet the UK seems to get the thick end of the stick when they disagree, whilst other countries including France still fail to comply.

IMHO all that will happen is some reciprocal agreements will cease to exist - but as there is no way out of the Euro, as Greece has now found out, there is (theoretically) no way out of the Union. So the UK is there to stay.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

Common sense, I suppose.
I'm sometimes asked why, if I agree with the above, I don't take out a Spanish passport. Well, so far, I haven't needed to because I'm a European. If things change, then I will have to adapt to the new circumstances.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 7:44 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
I tried to move to the US a few years ago, and found that my personal circumstances would only allow me to live there for six months every year.

I've got family in Australia and got even closer to moving there until I considered the impact of my pension being frozen at entry level.

I also have family in Canada, but it's too cold for me up there.

And I'm not throwing the towel in, in Spain; I mentioned it to over dramatise my view on what had happened. It took 38 years to get us expats our rights in Spain, if it takes another 38 years to take them away from us, I will probably be dead by then and expect my ashes to be scattered in the Med, rather than the North Sea.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Just an aside and a very small issue, but apparently had we have signed this treaty we would be obliged to adhere to the eurozone planned new rules on "buy to let" properties in which the owners would be charged heavy taxes on properties that they rent out as it would be considered a business and the "buy to let" mortgages would be abolished! Obviously that wouldnt apply to Spain as they dont ever declare their rentals - yet....!!! So therein lies just one small negative.

Jo xxx
So why should renting out properties not be considered and taxed as a business? Surely that's exactly what it is.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:39 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
So why should renting out properties not be considered and taxed as a business? Surely that's exactly what it is.
I agree! But as we know the Spanish tend not to declare their rentals. The UK tax this "business" differently at source! However, this new clause is just one of the clauses that prevented Cameron signing. The UK have always adhered to the rules and regs that come from Europe, unlike a lot of other countries. So we're simply being honest by not saying we'll do something when we dont think its good for our country - that was my point.

Jo xxx
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

No the oppoiste will happen. Keeping the UK free from Brussels involvement means that Cameron will keep control of our banks, had he have signed they all would have moved out of Europe! Apparently there is a huge sigh of relief from the banking sectors over this! Cos like them or not, they generate huge wealth for the UK and that is filtered down into everyones pockets

Jo xxx
Banks generate huge wealth for the UK - are you kidding? So far the UK Government has spent £123.95bn on bailing out British banks - and at times has been exposed to risk of almost TEN TIMES that amount. Plus the value of the shares owned by the British taxpayer in RBS and Lloyds has fallen dramatically since they were bought, incurring further huge losses.

And let me see, then there have been the scandals of mis-selling endowment mortgages, mis-selling personal pensions, mis-selling PPI policies, and the most recent example of mis-selling care bonds to vulnerable elderly people.

As far as I can see all the banks do is to extract the most money they can from everyone's pockets, in order to fund their inflated management salaries and obscene bonuses.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I agree! But as we know the Spanish tend not to declare their rentals
Are you sure? The people I know do declare their rental income

If you rent a property then you can get 15% of your rent back as a tax break in exchange for putting the address on your tax return (at least in Andalucia you can)

Hacienda then check their records to make sure the landlord has been declaring the income on that property. So dont assume that tax evasion as as high as you presume
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:53 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Banks generate huge wealth for the UK - are you kidding? So far the UK Government has spent £123.95bn on bailing out British banks - and at times has been exposed to risk of almost TEN TIMES that amount. Plus the value of the shares owned by the British taxpayer in RBS and Lloyds has fallen dramatically since they were bought, incurring further huge losses.

And let me see, then there have been the scandals of mis-selling endowment mortgages, mis-selling personal pensions, mis-selling PPI policies, and the most recent example of mis-selling care bonds to vulnerable elderly people.

As far as I can see all the banks do is to extract the most money they can from everyone's pockets, in order to fund their inflated management salaries and obscene bonuses.
The UK has a very prosperous and envied financial sector - its not just about the banks. In fact since the 80s, its the main industry in the UK and therefore needs to be run by the UK internally rather than the Brussels making the rules for it

Jo xxx
Old Dec 12th 2011, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: the end of the euro in Spain

Go to the top of the class and have a brownie point a brilliant exposition of what the banks have done are doing and will carry on doing unless they are controlled as CamClegg said they were going to do on election. Seems they forgot that promise then and it would have been easy as part of a 27 group now they will simply say they can't do it since the Bankers (school buddies) will all move to HK, Singapore, NY or anywhere just to make obscene profits and bonuses there.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: the end of the euro in Spain

The UK has a very prosperous and envied financial sector - its not just about the banks. In fact since the 80s, its the main industry in the UK and therefore needs to be run by the UK internally rather than the Brussels making the rules for it

Jo xxx
BUT CamClegg were elected on a promise to Re-Balance the economy away from Thatchers 80's banking bonansa to a more sustainable model that's another one dropped then.
Old Dec 12th 2011, 9:04 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by John & Kath
BUT CamClegg were elected on a promise to Re-Balance the economy away from Thatchers 80's banking bonansa to a more sustainable model that's another one dropped then.
Well give em a minute, they only arrived 9 months ago in the midst of a world wide recession LOL!!!

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.