Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

the end of the euro in Spain

the end of the euro in Spain

Old Dec 11th 2011, 10:53 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the end of the euro in Spain

Originally Posted by cricketman

And if the UK do completely isolate themselves from Europe then you very well may find your life in Spain cut short
People keep saying that but not saying why. Can you explain?
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:03 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Really? How mate? One of the things that Labour are trying to push as an agenda in Europe is tighter austerity measures and a crack down on overspending. So a Labour party in Britain is endorsing austerity measures in Europe far away from its own electorate, further proving that if Labour got back in they would be doing exactly the same thing that the Con-Dems are doing now.

My point about DOUGLAS Alexander is that after being asked 4 times the only answer he could give was that he would have done it different, well thats like the guy sat in the pub who shouts at the TV when Rooney misses the goal and says, "I wouldn't have kicked it like that!"

Labour had 13 years to "do it different" and all they did was do the same as everyone else.
Read my post again. It has nothing to do with Labour / Conservative ..... it has to do with distancing ourselves from something that is very good for the country. No matter what some other people think on here, even by trade standards, the EU is something unfortunately we have to be a major part of.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
People keep saying that but not saying why. Can you explain?
Well, although its unlikely Spain will throw you out, you may find the restrictions on work, education and health care for pensioners etc restricted if the UK completely isolates itself from the rest of Europe

Some people would still be alright, but maybe people couldnt stay if they werent able to work or access the state health or education systems. All the British pensioners for example who benefit from the health agreement between the UK and Spain. If that were to be taken away, many may have to go home
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:25 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, although its unlikely Spain will throw you out, you may find the restrictions on work, education and health care for pensioners etc restricted if the UK completely isolates itself from the rest of Europe

Some people would still be alright, but maybe people couldnt stay if they werent able to work or access the state health or education systems. All the British pensioners for example who benefit from the health agreement between the UK and Spain. If that were to be taken away, many may have to go home
I really cant imagine that anything like that would happen or how, so we dont have the same currency and we dont want Merkozy telling us how to run (read ruin) our financial sector, so what??! But even if we were to leave Europe, which I doubt - It would be pandemonium! What about all the europeans in the UK??? Would they have to return??? I suspect that there would be some major contingency plans put into place for those who are already living there and for those who are simple thinking about moving there???? Well it wouldnt be any different to moving anywhere else! But nothing is changing accept the UK is refusing to allow europe to run our very successful financial sector and I'm sure Merkozy would love to take that from us!

As my OH has just pointed out. It doesnt matter whether we're part of the EU or not. The EU has rules about allowing other nationalities into their countries to live, work and trade - so even if we werent part of it, they would still have to allow it. Also my OH pointed out that the confusion seems to be because so many people arent distinguishing between the EU and the eurozone, which are two totally different mechanisms!

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Dec 11th 2011 at 11:33 am.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
But nothing is changing accept the UK is refusing to allow europe to run our very successful financial sector and I'm sure Merkozy would love to take that from us!

Jo xxx
Yes very successful financial sector.... it is the deregulation of financial sectors that has caused the economic crash, this is a UK and US economic model that was set up in the 80s

If the rest of Europe regulate themselves without the UK, then the UK will become an irrelevance. Europe will not trade with the UK if it means the UK gets to make twice as much money than them because they can do what they like withough fear of regulation

Cameron and the UK going alone with this could be catastrophic for the UK. Remember when the UK joined the EU it was actually one of the poorest members. And if the EU countries stopped buying UK debt then it could turn back that way

Dont make the mistake of thinking the UK is a global economic power anymore, this isnt 100 years ago!
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: the end of the euro in Spain

I really cant imagine that anything like that would happen or how, so we dont have the same currency and we dont want Merkozy telling us how to run (read ruin) our financial sector, so what??! But even if we were to leave Europe, which I doubt - It would be pandemonium! What about all the europeans in the UK??? Would they have to return??? I suspect that there would be some major contingency plans put into place for those who are already living there and for those who are simple thinking about moving there???? Well it wouldnt be any different to moving anywhere else! But nothing is changing accept the UK is refusing to allow europe to run our very successful financial sector and I'm sure Merkozy would love to take that from us!

Jo xxx
This is the "very successful financial" that together with its US counterpart has put the whole world in the financial poo and precipitated the worst crisis since the 1920's. Never mind the heirs to Thatcher will look after the rich old Etonians/Bullingdon Oxfordians and the middle and lower classes can go to hell in a handcart as the world economy cartwheels into a depression deeper and wider than seen in modern times.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

As my OH has just pointed out. It doesnt matter whether we're part of the EU or not. The EU has rules about allowing other nationalities into their countries to live, work and trade - so even if we werent part of it, they would still have to allow it. Also my OH pointed out that the confusion seems to be because so many people arent distinguishing between the EU and the eurozone, which are two totally different mechanisms!
Jo xxx
Like you, I really can't understand all this talk about having to leave Spain, or that we need to be in the EU to trade in Europe, it's total nonsense. I don't think we'll leave the EU either, but even if we did, Article 50 of Lisbon requires the EU to make a trade arrangement with any nation deciding to leave it.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:48 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
This is the "very successful financial" that together with its US counterpart has put the whole world in the financial poo and precipitated the worst crisis since the 1920's. Never mind the heirs to Thatcher will look after the rich old Etonians/Bullingdon Oxfordians and the middle and lower classes can go to hell in a handcart as the world economy cartwheels into a depression deeper and wider than seen in modern times.

Like it or not, take our financial sector away and the UK has very little. I dont necessarily agree with it, but move the power to Brussels and the "bankers" will just leave and go to Asia or US and spend their millions there (I work on the food chain theory, it all comes down to the bottom in the end). The UK has become a world leader in finacial matters. The recession was caused thru greed and risk management across the world, but we really dont need it to be taken over by countries who dont even use the same currency!

Jo xxx
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:50 am
squeaky clean

My husband just made what I think is quite a valid point He says that its more likely that Spain will get unceremoniously kicked out of the eurozone AND the EU than the UK choosing to leave the EU!

Jo xxx
Old Dec 11th 2011, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Like it or not, take our financial sector away and the UK has very little. I dont necessarily agree with it, but move the power to Brussels and the "bankers" will just leave and go to Asia or US and spend their millions there (I work on the food chain theory, it all comes down to the bottom in the end). The UK has become a world leader in finacial matters. The recession was caused thru greed and risk management across the world, but we really dont need it to be taken over by countries who dont even use the same currency!

Jo xxx
We don't need to worry then CamClegg have undertaken to move from a one horse race to re-instate our manufacturing ability to rival those of other successful exporters such as Germany and bring back the apprentice's and salarymen. I bet Merkozy can't sleep at the threat of such competition.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:02 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by John & Kath
We don't need to worry then CamClegg have undertaken to move from a one horse race to re-instate our manufacturing ability to rival those of other successful exporters such as Germany and bring back the apprentice's and salarymen. I bet Merkozy can't sleep at the threat of such competition.
Its a good job its not a competition then lol!!

jo xxx
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My husband just made what I think is quite a valid point He says that its more likely that Spain will get unceremoniously kicked out of the eurozone AND the EU than the UK choosing to leave the EU!

Jo xxx
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but on what basis does your husband have this one?

Spain has a lot less debt than the UK - and they have already got rid of their budget defecit. They have done everything and more that Europe has asked of them. In fact they are one of the few countries in Europe who actually abide by the terms of Euro membership (having a trade deficit of less than 3%)

Spain's biggest problem in unemployment and GDP growth, but that has nothing to do with the EU or Euro membership
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:17 pm
squeaky clean

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but on what basis does your husband have this one?

Spain has a lot less debt than the UK - and they have already got rid of their budget defecit. They have done everything and more that Europe has asked of them. In fact they are one of the few countries in Europe who actually abide by the terms of Euro membership (having a trade deficit of less than 3%)
Exactly! Thats the point - neither are likely to leave the EU anytime soon.

My husband is very interested in the whole political/european thing than I am. A good friend of his is an international financier and they chat about it alot!?? Me????? I'm more concerned about why our christmas tree lights arent working right now!!! But I am interested in people views and where its all heading

Jo xxx
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Nobody knows where it is all heading because if they did they would surely do something to assist it if its going in the right direction or halt it and redirect it if not.

Too many people seem to not understand that at the moment being a member of the Eurozone is not the same as being a member of the EU:
Old Dec 11th 2011, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Spain's biggest problem in unemployment and GDP growth, but that has nothing to do with the EU or Euro membership
I think Ireland is the other one and like Spain the pain has been horrendous and just like Spain a whole generation of very well qualified young people is having to emigrate to make a start to their careers again Germany which has over employment is a magnet for the qualified. I even read that Ireland ahs a good compared to others GDP growth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.