Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
We (Ireland/Republic) are in the EU:-). You mean Northern Ireland.
The whole of the island of Ireland enjoys the benefits of the EU single market.

As an aside, I've noticed people have started saying "Ireland" and not differentiating between the supposed two regions.

Last edited by Lou71; Nov 10th 2022 at 2:43 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lou71
The whole of the island of Ireland enjoys the benefits of the EU single market.

As an aside, I've noticed people have started saying "Ireland" an not differentiating between the supposed two regions.
They no longer get EU funding and are subject to a limited set of EU rules on the single market for goods and the customs union.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63235144

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 10th 2022 at 2:05 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, I've noticed people have started saying "Ireland" an not differentiating between the supposed two regions.
I think it's always been like that to be honest and people from Belfast or Dublin would say they are from Ireland.
When you drive across the border, I would say I was in Northern Ireland.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond reputeLou71 has a reputation beyond repute

They no longer get EU funding and are subject to a limited set of EU rules on the single market for goods and the customs union.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63235144
Whatever it is, NI is clearly benefiting from it and the vast majority of businesses support it.

People in NI have access to EU freedom of movement too and like you (presumably) most are obtaining Irish passports as opposed to British. Lucky them.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: End of the 90 day rule for non residents?

Of course if people wanted to stay longer they could always apply for a Visa couldn't they?
After all Brexit means Brexit
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's always been like that to be honest and people from Belfast or Dublin would say they are from Ireland.
When you drive across the border, I would say I was in Northern Ireland.
I've certainly never heard any one from Belfast claiming to be from Ireland. Maybe when they're on holiday just to avoid the usual questions, but over there? No way.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Possibly.

However, Spain isn't the only country which has relatively benign winters in areas which rely to some extent on tourism and whose governments have justifiable concerns about the highly seasonal nature of the sector and its effects on the labour market and local communities as a result. Those other Schengen member countries also lending their voices to a move for change, or alternatively for dispensation to issue some easy form of national long stay authorisation wouldn't necessarily go completely unheeded.
I take your point Eric but I doubt the EU will bust a gut on this one.

Back in the early days of Brexit when I was still British, I was involved with a pressure group and we were trying to find ways of UK nationals retaining EU freedom of movement. The message from the Commission was loud and clear, third country nationals can never enjoy anything like the same level of EU free movement that members enjoy. This is an absolute red line and sadly, our campaign died.

Old Nov 10th 2022, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanNico
I've certainly never heard any one from Belfast claiming to be from Ireland. Maybe when they're on holiday just to avoid the usual questions, but over there? No way.
A rugby fan from Belfast or Dublin would support Ireland. A Turkish kebab shop owner would say I live in Ireland. When Republic of Ireland play against Northern Ireland, then yes.
I could say I'm from Spain, I live in Barcelona and some might claim they are Catalan. The majority still say I'm from Ireland.

Old Nov 10th 2022, 4:40 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I take your point Eric but I doubt the EU will bust a gut on this one.

Back in the early days of Brexit when I was still British, I was involved with a pressure group and we were trying to find ways of UK nationals retaining EU freedom of movement. The message from the Commission was loud and clear, third country nationals can never enjoy anything like the same level of EU free movement that members enjoy. This is an absolute red line and sadly, our campaign died.
Well the EU is only what the member states make it.

It isn't (as sometimes popularly portrayed) the Commission which is the be-all and end-all of EU policy. It comes down to consensus, and if a number of member states see some benefit to something, there's always room for that to be considered.

In this case, it's not a matter of giving third country nationals member state benefits. It would be a matter of making the case for the benefit to member states.

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
Of course if people wanted to stay longer they could always apply for a Visa couldn't they?
After all Brexit means Brexit
Not, I believe, currently available simply for the purposes of "I fancy a longer holiday"

And easily missable when reading the Express version is that the UK isn't seen as the only potential market for such a provision.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

France has easy-to-obtain visas that allow Brits and other TCNs to stay for over 3 months, usually for 6 months to a year. All they have to do is prove they have enough dosh to last the visa.
Any reason why Spain can't introduce a similar visa, rather than try to change the entire freedom of movement concept?
Sounds like a sledgehammer to crush a fly, or whatever it is they say. You want Brits to be able to stay in your country for longer, set up a visa that lets them do just that.
Old Nov 10th 2022, 8:27 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

The Sun says that Mallorca's tourism boss isn't interested in more Brits staying there so who to believe...
Old Nov 11th 2022, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

A rugby fan from Belfast or Dublin would support Ireland. A Turkish kebab shop owner would say I live in Ireland. When Republic of Ireland play against Northern Ireland, then yes.
I could say I'm from Spain, I live in Barcelona and some might claim they are Catalan. The majority still say I'm from Ireland.
I think it depends on your political stance. My son went to school in Belfast from 2018-2020 with Irish and Northern Irish kids. They're very proud of who they are, woe betide the new kid who confused the two.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanNico
I think it depends on your political stance. My son went to school in Belfast from 2018-2020 with Irish and Northern Irish kids. They're very proud of who they are, woe betide the new kid who confused the two.
As a kid I used to visit N Ireland quite a bit as my mother was N Irish and we visited my grandmother. This was early to late 60s right up to the "Troubles" starting in earnest. When me and my sister went to the local playground all the local kids would gather around quite friendly. Then they would ask were we Catholic or proddies? We didn't get it as in England no one really bothered what religion one was. Eventually they would say what religion are you. Once we said Cof E many would dissappear and start hurling abuse at us and sometimes stones. It's a very different place to most others N Ireland. I also served there with the military in the early 70s it was a dark unpleasant place back then. I spoke here in Spain to an Irish man originally from Southern Ireland all be it he was a protestant. He said it wasn't the same hatred between protestants and catholics being brought up there. It's certainly a beautiful country and I have many happy memories of my childhood visits. I would like to think things are better there now between the different communities. Certainly they are all Irish and all entitled to Irish passport although most protestants I have met from the North refier proudly to them being Northern Irish.
Old Nov 11th 2022, 3:29 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
France has easy-to-obtain visas that allow Brits and other TCNs to stay for over 3 months, usually for 6 months to a year. All they have to do is prove they have enough dosh to last the visa.
Any reason why Spain can't introduce a similar visa, rather than try to change the entire freedom of movement concept?
Sounds like a sledgehammer to crush a fly, or whatever it is they say. You want Brits to be able to stay in your country for longer, set up a visa that lets them do just that.
Do you have a link to these French visa regulations?
Old Nov 11th 2022, 4:20 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/...long-stay-visa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.