Employment?

Old May 25th 2012, 3:26 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment?

Originally Posted by Jenny22
I have a similar job. I'm an Operating Department Practitioner and work for an agency which supplies healthcare workers to the public and private sector.

Although in my case my main residence is the UK because I spend a total of more than 7 months there a year and never spend more than 2 months at a time in Spain. As such, I do not qualify for free health care in Spain and have to have private health insurance cover for visiting here.

My job is not transferable to Spain, so I have little choice. I have to work in the UK. But having read this thread, I am wondering if I too would qualify for an SI under the reciprocal arrangement if I spent more time in Spain. My husband lives here and is registered for health care, so it wouldn't be that difficult, would it?
if your husband gets state health care here - either because he pays NI or because he gets a UK pension, then you can register under the state system here as his dependant, if you are resident here

if you are only here for 2 months at a time, then you can use your EHIC as a visitor
Old May 25th 2012, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnxa
if your husband gets state health care here - either because he pays NI or because he gets a UK pension, then you can register under the state system here as his dependant, if you are resident here

if you are only here for 2 months at a time, then you can use your EHIC as a visitor
Yes I thought about that after I wrote my post, but I have had to use my EHIC here twice already in the years we have been coming to Spain and I don't want to push my luck.
My husband retired a few months ago so gets state health care as a British pensioner. It would be tempting to live here for over 183 days and claim as his dependent and fill in tax returns in Spain, but then that would leave me without free access to the NHS in the UK where I would still be working and paying tax and insurance nearly 6 months each year.
I know of people who use both systems and get away with it, but knowing my luck I would get caught. This is why I was wondering about the reciprocal S1. I had always thought it was for people living permanently in Spain, not being almost 'half and half', but if it works for half and halfers, I would be very interested.
Old May 25th 2012, 9:32 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I thought about that after I wrote my post, but I have had to use my EHIC here twice already in the years we have been coming to Spain and I don't want to push my luck.
My husband retired a few months ago so gets state health care as a British pensioner. It would be tempting to live here for over 183 days and claim as his dependent and fill in tax returns in Spain, but then that would leave me without free access to the NHS in the UK where I would still be working and paying tax and insurance nearly 6 months each year.
I know of people who use both systems and get away with it, but knowing my luck I would get caught. This is why I was wondering about the reciprocal S1. I had always thought it was for people living permanently in Spain, not being almost 'half and half', but if it works for half and halfers, I would be very interested.
yes -I know some who play both too

If you're here in Spain more than there in the UK though I'd certainly look into it more though

the S1 is really for pensioners, those with OHs who live & pay tax & NI in the UK, those who still pay tax & NI in the UK or recent immigrants to Spain (or wherever has an agreement) who have paid enough NI recently enough

stricly speaking - if you are here in Spain less than 90 days at a time, & less tha 6 months a year in total, you can use your EHIC - although there have been reports of people having problems when trying to use it 'too often'
Old May 26th 2012, 7:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It would be tempting to live here for over 183 days and claim as his dependent and fill in tax returns in Spain, )
The 183 day rule is not the only condition that makes you tax resident in Spain.

If your husband is tax resident then you may also be considered tax resident
Old May 26th 2012, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Jenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really niceJenny22 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
The 183 day rule is not the only condition that makes you tax resident in Spain.

If your husband is tax resident then you may also be considered tax resident
Yes I went through this a while back when my husband decided to up sticks and move here and I decided to carry on living and working most of the time in the UK.
I took my name off the Padron (it had been on there for some years owing to bad advice when we bought our house here) and at the same time moved to rented accommodation in the UK, signed on the council tax register for that address, and changed my address on the electoral register. I also consulted a solicitor and obtained a declaration that I was living in the UK and all my financial interests are there. The house here is in my husbands name only so this does apply.
So fingers crossed, allowing that I can do nothing about Spanish inheritance rules, I have everything covered.

But this thread interested me as the lady who started it seems to be living and working almost half in Spain and half in the UK, only from a different angle.
And I was testing the waters to see if this would be a better option for me.