Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Employer abuse in Spain

Employer abuse in Spain

Old May 4th 2012, 7:34 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer abuse in Spain

Originally Posted by amideislas
Germany has no minimum wage, and yet the pay scale is much higher than Spain, and Germany is considered to be substantially more competitive than Spain:

Spain and German unit labour costs

And the German unemployment rate is a mere fraction of Spain:

German jobless rate

The U.S. minimum wage varies by state, US minimum wages but according to cmanconspiracytheory.com, the US secretly has always been the single most impoverished nation on earth, with massive unemployment, and most of the population lives in trailer parks, far worse off than anything you've ever seen in Europe:

US economy

Spain now at US great depression unemployment rate

world poverty comparison

World poverty index wiki
I suppose it depends on how the figures are massaged
The UK moved many people off JSA to IS then to ESA, this kept the official JobSeeker figures down, but since the fuss about perfectly fit people hiding behind ESA and being caught claiming benefits when fit to work, we are seeing the JSA figures rising.
The sending of youngsters on to training courses that lead to nothing also delays the pain for a while
Old May 4th 2012, 7:56 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Christ, those links posted by the lady in Majorca make for depressing reading. I was going to reply to them, but I'm not going to link to them again, they might stop people from sleeping.

Somewhere today I read of Chinese people working for absolutely silly wages, compared to the West; I think the article was about Apple tablets, made in China.

What made me wonder was how happy those Chinese workers looked, a long line of them working for what we in the West consider diabolical wages.

Perhaps the Chinese are unsackable, I've got no idea if that's true.
Old May 4th 2012, 10:01 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Most likely is true for those working in political prison camps.
Old May 5th 2012, 10:01 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

surely it is all relative.......
in the uk we are expected to pay 80p for a very small (but "perfectly shaped") pepper
in spain we are paying around €1 (80p) for a kilo - may be misshapes, may be quite large and only get 2 to the kilo
but the greengrocer seems happy to sell to me and all my neighbours at that price.

so, if these chinese have peppers how much are they paying?
they probably smile because the cameras are there, but, they are providing income to the household, their way of life is much different,
in the same way as spain is less materialistic than the uk, china is less materialistic to spain.

but - china has problems with its undeveloped eastern provinces compared with the highly materialistic western provinces led by hong kong where subsistance wages are Not paid
Old May 5th 2012, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
surely it is all relative.......
in the uk we are expected to pay 80p for a very small (but "perfectly shaped") pepper
in spain we are paying around €1 (80p) for a kilo - may be misshapes, may be quite large and only get 2 to the kilo
but the greengrocer seems happy to sell to me and all my neighbours at that price.

so, if these chinese have peppers how much are they paying?
they probably smile because the cameras are there, but, they are providing income to the household, their way of life is much different,
in the same way as spain is less materialistic than the uk, china is less materialistic to spain.

but - china has problems with its undeveloped eastern provinces compared with the highly materialistic western provinces led by hong kong where subsistance wages are Not paid
Your paying way too much for your UK peppers lol (80p/€0.97 a kilo in Lidl this morning).

Lets be honest, pay in Spain is pee poor top or bottom but great compared to China where workers are committing suicide and factories are meshing off windows and fitting jump nets in stair wells.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Old May 5th 2012, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

I know of so many people have been working in the black economy in Spain and so many employers that pay cash in hand undeclared.
A friend of mine was treated really badly by her employer.
Desperate to earn, tried to ignore the shouting language, long hours and disrespect.
He refused to give her a contract after a few weeks and because she wanted to work legally he sacked her.
She has now denounced him,
I can not say any more than this for obvious reasons
The days of working off the books are over as everyone needs to show their tax deductions . Incase things happen and one needs to claim benefits.
How times change
Old May 5th 2012, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
I know of so many people have been working in the black economy in Spain and so many employers that pay cash in hand undeclared.
A friend of mine was treated really badly by her employer.
Desperate to earn, tried to ignore the shouting language, long hours and disrespect.
He refused to give her a contract after a few weeks and because she wanted to work legally he sacked her.
She has now denounced him,
I can not say any more than this for obvious reasons
The days of working off the books are over as everyone needs to show their tax deductions . Incase things happen and one needs to claim benefits.
How times change
That has happened to me in the UK, also reneged on contract of employment
but in the UK at that time anyway no one seemed to be interested.

where are fluffy bunnies when you want one
Old May 6th 2012, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Your paying way too much for your UK peppers lol (80p/€0.97 a kilo in Lidl this morning).

Lets be honest, pay in Spain is pee poor top or bottom
I think I´d rather pay a bit more for a pepper than pay what this woman has been quoted to get her daughter´s teeth fixed, especially on Spanish wages.
€1,400 plus a monthly charge of €50 on top. This woman has 3 kids, very little money, I bet the kids end up with poor teeth.
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/c...tista/1393413/
Old May 6th 2012, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I think I´d rather pay a bit more for a pepper than pay what this woman has been quoted to get her daughter´s teeth fixed, especially on Spanish wages.
€1,400 plus a monthly charge of €50 on top. This woman has 3 kids, very little money, I bet the kids end up with poor teeth.
http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/c...tista/1393413/
Sounds like social security payments need to be increased to help pay for free dentistry then

Something the expats on here wouldnt be happy with

You can't have everything and pay nothing. But I agree, the poorest in society should be able to get their teeth fixed at a subsidised rate
Old May 6th 2012, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
Sounds like social security payments need to be increased to help pay for free dentistry then

You can't have everything and pay nothing. But I agree, the poorest in society should be able to get their teeth fixed at a subsidised rate
I agree the poor should have help tp pay for their dentristy
Old May 6th 2012, 4:36 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
I agree the poor should have help tp pay for their dentristy
you can get them taken out for free
Old May 6th 2012, 9:29 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman

Come to think of, the BMW needs some new tyres. I reckon if I show them how poor I am, I figure can get new teeth and new tyres.

Thanks, Cman. Couldn't get a better deal at Carrefour or on Ebay!
Old May 15th 2012, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

pain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud ofpain-in-spain has much to be proud of

As usual with these threads, things get a bit off topic, although it's all been interesting reading and good to see other's views. As the OP I felt it necessary to update any of you interested. I have now had a couple of meetings with my boss who has become increasingly hostile and arrogant, mainly due to knowing he is in a very vulnerable position due to his illegality. However, he totally believes that he can give me a freelance contract so I can go to the SS to become self employed, at my own cost as well.

He told me that the existing contract (not worth the paper it's written on) wouldn't be seen a legal, what a surprise! He says that if he gives me the freelance contract (obviously he'd take out the bits about the hours worked and location worked in along with holiday allowance etc) he would have to pay me from the company Spanish bank (they are an SL) rather than from their UK Guernsey offshore account. Then, he says, I'd have to pay tax and SS contributions, because, as he insists I am self employed. He insists that I can be freelance and have to work hours dictated by him and made to work in his office (actually the cellar of his house).

When I refused, he said he could give me a freelance contract from the UK but I live and work in Spain so once again, even if I were self employed, which I'm not, I would have to pay tax here, which even he doesn't. He says he pays tax in the Uk, but the company is here, all his staff are here, yet he is not paying anything in Spain, which I know is illegal. His wife is listed as the only employee for their SL and she pays her own contributions, but that is just a cover. He thinks that just because they have an office address in the UK, which is his mum's house, he can get away with it.

We are now discussing our holidays, which at the very least should be in line with our rights here. Currently we get a measly 15 days plus national Spanish public holidays, yet we are in Barcelona so should get the local holidays too so that would give us the 13 or so days all workers get here. He refuses. Now my team members have agreed to back me up and we are having a team meeting this week, we all know we won't get legal contracts but at the very least want to get better holidays.

He has contradicted himself on so many levels it's pathetic, but a freelance worker is not paid any holidays or sickness, which he gives us as he says he's being kind and obviously doesn't have to! He must think we were born yesterday, the reason he does this is because he knows it's all a sham but hides behind the pretense that it's a kosher operation.

I still plan to shop him, but will wait till I am leaving. He has had a chance to redeem himself or at least attempt to placate us and instead continues to act as if he is above board, truly amazing but what I have come to expect from the banana republic style employers that flock to this land of no law and anything goes attitude.

Last edited by pain-in-spain; May 15th 2012 at 7:16 pm.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain
As usual with these threads, things get a bit off topic, although it's all been interesting reading and good to see other's views. As the OP I felt it necessary to update any of you interested. I have now had a couple of meetings with my boss who has become increasingly hostile and arrogant, mainly due to knowing he is in a very vulnerable position due to his illegality. However, he totally believes that he can give me a freelance contract so I can go to the SS to become self employed, at my own cost as well.

He told me that the existing contract (not worth the paper it's written on) wouldn't be seen a legal, what a surprise! He says that if he gives me the freelance contract (obviously he'd take out the bits about the hours worked and location worked in along with holiday allowance etc) he would have to pay me from the company Spanish bank (they are an SL) rather than from their UK Guernsey offshore account. Then, he says, I'd have to pay tax and SS contributions, because, as he insists I am self employed. He insists that I can be freelance and have to work hours dictated by him and made to work in his office (actually the cellar of his house).

When I refused, he said he could give me a freelance contract from the UK but I live and work in Spain so once again, even if I were self employed, which I'm not, I would have to pay tax here, which even he doesn't. He says he pays tax in the Uk, but the company is here, all his staff are here, yet he is not paying anything in Spain, which I know is illegal. His wife is listed as the only employee for their SL and she pays her own contributions, but that is just a cover. He thinks that just because they have an office address in the UK, which is his mum's house, he can get away with it.

We are now discussing our holidays, which at the very least should be in line with our rights here. Currently we get a measly 15 days plus national Spanish public holidays, yet we are in Barcelona so should get the local holidays too so that would give us the 13 or so days all workers get here. He refuses. Now my team members have agreed to back me up and we are having a team meeting this week, we all know we won't get legal contracts but at the very least want to get better holidays.

He has contradicted himself on so many levels it's pathetic, but a freelance worker is not paid any holidays or sickness, which he gives us as he says he's being kind and obviously doesn't have to! He must think we were born yesterday, the reason he does this is because he knows it's all a sham but hides behind the pretense that it's a kosher operation.

I still plan to shop him, but will wait till I am leaving. He has had a chance to redeem himself or at least attempt to placate us and instead continues to act as if he is above board, truly amazing but what I have come to expect from the banana republic style employers that flock to this land of no law and anything goes attitude.
You have him over a barrel, go and get some advice from one of the unions, you will not have to give them all your details, just tell them the story without specifics and then you will be able to make and informed desicion.

Only having one employer as it has been pointed out, you are not responsible for you own SS, they are.

If they are an SL, the will have stricter rules and regs for employmee regs than a one man band sole trader.

If you denounce them, and can prove that you have worked for them for x amount of time, they will either try to deny it or agree with you.

If they deny that you are employed by them, and you have a bogus contract , you will have them by the short and curlies.

They then will have to pay you for all the time you worked for them if they cannot establish that you were paid, if they are denying that you were in their employ, then they will not be armed with the signed payslips.

If you can establish beyond doubt the length of time you were employed, then will then have to pay the back SS, they holiday pay, and your wage up until the date of the tribunal hearing.

Also to get rid of you there will be a final payment.

on the other hand if they say that you were working for them on a self employed basis, then their SL accounts over the employement period would have to show this, and the union would go for the annulment of the self employed status, to be changed to employed status, retrospectively.
Which then would mean the back SS and such, still a short and curlies situation.

Of course whatever course of action you take, there will be an inspection of the company as a matter of course, the unions will demand to see all the contracts for the firm, and will arrange a meeting with the bosses and the gestor or accountant who is responsible for the affairs of the SL,

Being corner like that the employer might agree to arbitration to avoid the fines, inspections, and hassle, then you can name your price, and then haggle over the table, they will avoid the tribunal,

As for not being a member of a union, that is not necessary, they will still fight your case, a lot of people I know are not members but they still have had the back up from one or other of the unions, for a percentage of the money awarded to you,

Whatever you decide, I hope you get the result you want, it is a shitty way to be treated and the sooner these people learn that they will not get away with it the better.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pain-in-spain

The problem is the lack of employment, not the lack of law. This means that people such as yourself are forced into such positions. This wouldnt happen in a competitive market.

All you need to do is report him and he would be treated very seriously indeed. He is breaking many laws. He would be likely to get a severe fine, the company closed down and even a prison sentence. You and your colleagues would probably lose your job though and whether you'd get compensation depends on whether the authorities can locate his assets.

Just so you know, the authorities inspect autonomos who only ever invoice to one client as it is a known scam on the part of the employer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.