Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Embargo de bienes - help!

Embargo de bienes - help!

Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default Embargo de bienes - help!

Hi guys,

I've just had a call from my Mum who rents a friends apartment, the friend lives in the UK and is really bad with paperwork.....

Mum has already very nearly had the electricity cut off, even though she pays the money for the rent and bills into the owners a/c.... so we have suspicions that there are constant embargos on the account and never enough money in there....

Mum has permission to open all post in the owners name, and now the owner has received a couple of green/white official looking papers, with details of around 10 grand worth of debts...

Mum doesn't live near me, so I cannot see the paperwork for myself yet, but it has the words 'embargo de bienes' on it, I looked up bienes and it means goods.....

Could they be like UK debt collectors that you hear about, where they come and take your TV etc?.....

Help!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Embargo de bienes - help!

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Hi guys,

I've just had a call from my Mum who rents a friends apartment, the friend lives in the UK and is really bad with paperwork.....

Mum has already very nearly had the electricity cut off, even though she pays the money for the rent and bills into the owners a/c.... so we have suspicions that there are constant embargos on the account and never enough money in there....

Mum has permission to open all post in the owners name, and now the owner has received a couple of green/white official looking papers, with details of around 10 grand worth of debts...

Mum doesn't live near me, so I cannot see the paperwork for myself yet, but it has the words 'embargo de bienes' on it, I looked up bienes and it means goods.....

Could they be like UK debt collectors that you hear about, where they come and take your TV etc?.....

Help!
It sounds like it, yes. 'Bienes' are your assets. So it sounds like they are talking about seizing assets.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

Hi Veleta,

Getting an embargo on a bank account is quite normal here, do you think that they try that first then this would be the next step?

Mum doesn't have a rental contract, so they might take her stuff!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe an idea to look for another apartment before its to late , there`s plenty around , not nice but sounds neccesary

Last edited by Rotor; Sep 17th 2010 at 1:48 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rotor,

No its nothing like that..... the annoying thing is that the owners have more money than sense, literally!

It is quite a plush apartment in Marbella and when bills come in they just pay them, so if they haven't received facturas for any reason (mainly the crap postal system) they don't chase them up, they probably don't even know what they're paying for half the time!

I think that they are IBI payments, but don't know for sure.....

Around 4 months ago, they offered the apartment as a favor to my Mum, but Mum insisted on paying rent......needless to say we didn't know about these problems before...

We are obviously worried that they may come and try and take Mum's stuff away!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Based on what you say Rotors advice is spot on.

Forget her "friends" seem to own a plush apartment in Marbella and seem to have more money than sense.

The bottom line is her "friends" appear to be in serious financial trouble and as the taxman seems to have acted it is quite possible your Mum will get a visit very shortly and will have to convince the "bailiffs" she owns every single item she does own and it is NOT the property of the debtor" NIGHTMARE!

Legally the key word is Embargo

I will PM you a decent explanation in English from a Spanish law firm.

Best

Loco

Hi Rotor,

No its nothing like that..... the annoying thing is that the owners have more money than sense, literally!

It is quite a plush apartment in Marbella and when bills come in they just pay them, so if they haven't received facturas for any reason (mainly the crap postal system) they don't chase them up, they probably don't even know what they're paying for half the time!

I think that they are IBI payments, but don't know for sure.....

Around 4 months ago, they offered the apartment as a favor to my Mum, but Mum insisted on paying rent......needless to say we didn't know about these problems before...

We are obviously worried that they may come and try and take Mum's stuff away!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Loco,

I've sent that explanation onto Mum, so that she can send it on...

The problem is that they do have the money to pay the debt, but the worry is that will it get paid in time!

Fingers crossed!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Loco,

I've sent that explanation onto Mum, so that she can send it on...

The problem is that they do have the money to pay the debt, but the worry is that will it get paid in time!

Fingers crossed!
They would take the cash owing and the bailiffs fees even on the day of the visit, much easier than trying to flog second hand stuff.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:27 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Do they have Baliffs in Spain?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:37 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Court bailiffs, but no private ones as far as I know.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I had an embargo on biens delivered in person by police and it was my car they wanted, the police came with some kind of immobiliser. The amount on the demand was less than a thousand euros and my car was worth 30,000 Euros

As a cautionary tale, I had never received any notification whatsoever of any money owing to seg soc (paperwork gave dates of 3 non payments of autonoma) and even though I had proof that all payments had been made the police were not interested and still wanted my car.

AFAIK Hacienda, Seg soc etc dont go to Court to do this. Hence no bailiffs just police.

Fortunately we had more than 1 vehicle so just left the one they wanted in our garage for a few days whilst the gestor sorted it out. It was a traumatic experience at the time and we never ever received an apology.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Court bailiffs, but no private ones as far as I know.

I'm sure that I remember watching a Spanish documentary about private companies who turn up mob handed in liveried vans containing a number of big blokes wearing fancy dress costumes. They blow whistles and carry placards re the debt, in order to cause as much humiliation as possible for the debtor.

Nothing like the couple of "discreet" shaven headed bruisers that you associate private company bailiffs with in the UK
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by big wheels
I'm sure that I remember watching a Spanish documentary about private companies who turn up mob handed in liveried vans containing a number of big blokes wearing fancy dress costumes. They blow whistles and carry placards re the debt, in order to cause as much humiliation as possible for the debtor.

Nothing like the couple of "discreet" shaven headed bruisers that you associate private company bailiffs with in the UK
They are cobradores del Frac, employed by companies or individuals to try and shame the debtor into paying as can take years and a lot of money to pursue debtors through the courts. They often target the wife of a debtor, following her on the school run and in to town etc.

However the tax office, town hall etc dont need to go to court they can go straight for goods such as a car or the house.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
They are cobradores del Frac
That's them. I couldn't remember the name.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Blimey! At least the letters arrived at the house, so we have been pre-warned!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.