Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Elon Musk arriving....Starlink Network

Elon Musk arriving....Starlink Network

Old May 13th 2021, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Elon Musk arriving....Starlink Network

A friend of mine was talking about this the other day telling me he has signed up

https://english.elpais.com/economy_a...ral-spain.html

great if you are rural.
Old May 13th 2021, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elon Musk arriving....Starlink Network

Hmm. Not very affordable at 560 euros inc shipping for the kit and 99 euros a month according to the article.

on the plus side it is fast and presumably unlimited - plusses for content heavy home workers.

we used to have satellite internet ( KA sat) but it was limited except during the night. The only other alternative for a rural situation is a 4G router. Movistar do one as part of a package ( TV and mobiles) . It is unlimited but only has a max speed of 10MB and doesn’t have a fixed IP. The latter makes using DNS service for foreign TV very difficult. One plus is you can take it with you in Spain on your travels.

I wonder if these new offerings have any technical limitations? It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has taken up the service. How easy was it to set up the service? Was the signal easy to lock on to? Where does the dish point to? Do you get a Spanish IP address.
Old May 13th 2021, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I agree not cheap!

When I came to the village fibre optic was not an option (now it is) so Movistar provided a router with a SIM runs at 20MB and has been fantastic but I am lucky as it has a good line of sight to the mast.
Old May 13th 2021, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Just done an ookla speed test. 13.6 down, ( so mine is 20 nominal and not 10) up only 0.2 which can be an issue on Video calls. It is supposed to be 0.7 max.

one thing I have discerned is the contention rate at peak mobile network usage times is good so we don’t get buffering on TV streaming. Do you find the dynamic IP address is a problem for TV e.g. using BBCiplayer?

my big hope was with 5G , Movistar would change out the routers and give us more speed down and up. I suspect they wouldn’t put more masts in, just upgrade the existing from 4 to 5
Old May 13th 2021, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

We had satellite internet connection in the uk some 10 years ago. Biggest problem was latency due to the huge distance the signal had to travel. This was minimised by them caching a lot of pages when you were browsing, but was useless when using a secure connection say to a bank. In fact it was quicker to use dialup for banking.

Sure technology has moved on, but the speed of light hasn't changed. 🤣
Old May 13th 2021, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_day
We had satellite internet connection in the uk some 10 years ago. Biggest problem was latency due to the huge distance the signal had to travel. This was minimised by them caching a lot of pages when you were browsing, but was useless when using a secure connection say to a bank. In fact it was quicker to use dialup for banking.

Sure technology has moved on, but the speed of light hasn't changed. 🤣
Spot on, latency time is slow on Starlink, no good for gamers and its very expensive IMO
Old May 14th 2021, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if one connecton could be shared over 3 or 4 close neibours ? Hence reducing the cost to 25 a month or so.

there would have to be everyone on the contract in case of illegal activity i suppose, but that might work.

Individually it seems expensive, but if you are 10km into the campo and its your only option, its priceless.