British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Electricity Trickery ??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/electricity-trickery-715123/)

Dxf Apr 30th 2011 1:05 pm

Electricity Trickery ???

Hi

I have just opened my electricity bill; estimated usage is ZERO giving a bill of 8,04€ for Potencia and "Equipos de medida".

The previous month was similar - estimated usage ZERO giving a bill of 7,30€ for Potencia and "Equipos de medida".

The bill before that had an estimate lectura 26,658 with a real reading of 26,375 which gave me a "normal sized" bill of 56,29€ for 283 Kwh.

I have now used 28,300 on my meter. At around 14 cents per Kwh gives around 230€ that I owe them.

Anyone any ideas

"Worried of Chiclana"

Davexf

lynnxa Apr 30th 2011 2:35 pm

Re: Electricity Trickery ???

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 9334674)
Hi

I have just opened my electricity bill; estimated usage is ZERO giving a bill of 8,04€ for Potencia and "Equipos de medida".

The previous month was similar - estimated usage ZERO giving a bill of 7,30€ for Potencia and "Equipos de medida".

The bill before that had an estimate lectura 26,658 with a real reading of 26,375 which gave me a "normal sized" bill of 56,29€ for 283 Kwh.

I have now used 28,300 on my meter. At around 14 cents per Kwh gives around 230€ that I owe them.

Anyone any ideas

"Worried of Chiclana"

Davexf

take the reading & the bills into the Endesa/Iberdrola/whoever you get your electricity from office

I'm sure they'll happily take the money from you, which going by the meter reading you owe them

or do you think something is wrong with the reading/meter?

lyric030250 Apr 30th 2011 2:36 pm

Don't know if your company allows but I seem to have got round this with Endesa by enrolling for on line billing.
This allows me to enter a meter reading which I do on the same day every month. My bills are trending to flatten off now with the expected seasonal decrease.

Chiclanagir Apr 30th 2011 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 9334674)
Hi

Anyone any ideas

"Worried of Chiclana"

Davexf

Why on earth didn´t you contact them when your bill came through for zero?

Fred James Apr 30th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 9334973)
Why on earth didn´t you contact them when your bill came through for zero?

I couldn't agree more.

The electricity companies are well known for giving out bills based on incorrect or estimated readings.

With some exceptions, they will always rectify it if you can be bothered to contact them with the correct readings.

Dxf May 2nd 2011 10:50 pm

Re: Electricity Trickery ??? Solved

Hi

Whilst with my next door neighbour in the venta, a friend whose husband works for the electricity company solved the mystery.

Sevillana Endesa simply wait for three months, then do a reading, attribute all electricity used to the ultimate month, claim your potencia is wrong, and make you change it for an exhorbitant sum of money.

Will be at the door first thing Monday morning and raise cain !!!

Davexf

EsuriJohn May 3rd 2011 6:00 am

Re: Electricity Trickery ??? Solved

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 9339315)
Hi

Whilst with my next door neighbour in the venta, a friend whose husband works for the electricity company solved the mystery.

Sevillana Endesa simply wait for three months, then do a reading, attribute all electricity used to the ultimate month, claim your potencia is wrong, and make you change it for an exhorbitant sum of money.

Will be at the door first thing Monday morning and raise cain !!!

Davexf

Endesa did just that with me for 6 mths they just charged the standing charge then the January bill had all the previous years usage on it. They could not ask for an increase in Potencia since I am already on 13kw. However it did mean that all of the previous years usaage was charged at the new increased January rate. Took them 6 months to sort it out and I feel I still lost out on the way they re-distributed the use over the previous 6 mths.

Fred James May 3rd 2011 6:24 am

Isn't it odd how it varies from place to place.

We have been in our present house for 8 years and they have never failed to read the meter on time and I have never had an estimated bill - and we are out in the Campo!

snikpoh May 3rd 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 9334779)
take the reading & the bills into the Endesa/Iberdrola/whoever you get your electricity from office

I'm sure they'll happily take the money from you, which going by the meter reading you owe them

or do you think something is wrong with the reading/meter?

Iberdrola do not now have offices* for 'Joe public' so it all has to be done on the 'phone - have you ever tried arguing with them on the 'phone????

(* Unless you know of an office where one can discuss such issues - I'd really like to know if there is!)

lynnxa May 3rd 2011 10:38 am

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 9340140)
Iberdrola do not now have offices* for 'Joe public' so it all has to be done on the 'phone - have you ever tried arguing with them on the 'phone????

(* Unless you know of an office where one can discuss such issues - I'd really like to know if there is!)

do they not??

an electrical goods shop here used to be a sort of 'agent' between certain hours - but I have to admit it's a few years since I've been there

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they don't though

actually yes, I have dealt with them on the phone - with some success, usually

Fred James May 3rd 2011 2:25 pm

I have dealt with Iberdrola by email - again with complete success.