Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Suppliers

Electricity Suppliers

Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by olivia
What does ICP stand for? My OH would like the translation if you have it.
Thanks.
ICP = Interruptor de Control de Potencia
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
When I bought my house I left my lawyer to set everything up. However my electricity potencia is set at a peak of 5.75kw.
Is it easy to change to higher potencia and does it entail a visit from Iberdrola to implement the change?
As I am only over every 6 weeks or so this could be a problem.
For a holiday home 5.75Kw should be adequate.

Why do you think you need more?

If you upgrade the potencia then it will always require a visit to change the ICP fuse.

If it is an older house then it may require a new survey of the installation and a new "boletin". They may also charge you for upgrading to a new contract.

If the supply you have does not trip out when everything is on under normal usage then just leave it alone.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
For a holiday home 5.75Kw should be adequate.

Why do you think you need more?

If you upgrade the potencia then it will always require a visit to change the ICP fuse.

If it is an older house then it may require a new survey of the installation and a new "boletin". They may also charge you for upgrading to a new contract.

If the supply you have does not trip out when everything is on under normal usage then just leave it alone.

It is newly reformed (2008)and tripped once last winter (I'm all electric). On what you have said I shall just watch my usage and turn things off when I think I am near the limit and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice it was very helpful.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by johnnyone
It is newly reformed (2008)and tripped once last winter (I'm all electric). On what you have said I shall just watch my usage and turn things off when I think I am near the limit and see how it goes.

Thanks for your advice it was very helpful.
You can get a "thingy" which you just place round the incoming supply and it transmitts instant readouts of usage to a meter in the casa that way you can see as you turn the kettle, hot air blower and such on then you will now which takes most and what you can slim down usage. In UK they are marketed as green eco meters.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

What sort of buildings do you mean?

Is each building on a separate phase with a single ICP?
Casa, Casita and pool equipment house. They are separated on the phases but I have not yet worked out what with what. Though the loss of supply did indicate the casita was on one phase. That leads me to believe that the other parts are on the other phases.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

I understand that I got a 5.75KW Iberdrola power supply. I just bought a electric oil filled radiator which I only use for about 7 hrs a day. My neighbor told me that my meter box red light is flashing.

It seems like 5.75Kw is not enough. If I apply for a 10 Kw will I have to pay for a higher standing charge even sometimes I don't use that amount? By how much extra will I need to pay? is there a fee to apply for a higher voltage?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
It seems like 5.75Kw is not enough. If I apply for a 10 Kw will I have to pay for a higher standing charge even sometimes I don't use that amount? By how much extra will I need to pay? is there a fee to apply for a higher voltage?
Your standing charge is based on the contracted potencia so, yes, it will cost more - it's about €2 per kw per month.

They will charge for an upgrade and you will have to ensure that you boletin shows that you can take the higher load.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Hi Fred,
Where do I get the boletin as I don't see one nor have it? Do you mean that for every Kw I use, I'll be charged 2 euro per mth more for the standing charge?
Thanks.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:09 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fred,
Where do I get the boletin as I don't see one nor have it? Do you mean that for every Kw I use, I'll be charged 2 euro per mth more for the standing charge?
Thanks.
Only a qualified electrician (generally Spanish) can issue a boletin but he will have to check the entire system first (very similar to how UK now works).

I personally wouldn't worry about it unless the existing ICP (presuming that you have one) trips.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't understand. Fred said that I got to ensure that the boletin can take the higher load. How will I know this?
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:33 pm

I don't understand. Fred said that I got to ensure that the boletin can take the higher load. How will I know this?
The electricity company will want to see a current "boletin" before they allow an upgrade. In fact you cannot get a supply in the first place without one.

If you haven't got one (or sometimes if it is more than 5 years old), as Snikpoh said, you will have to get an electrician to inspect you installation and issue a new one. The boletin will show the maximum load that the wiring will take.

As for the monthly charge, yes you will be charged €2 for each kw of contracted power.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

As for the monthly charge, yes you will be charged €2 for each kw of contracted power.
What is the maximum voltage allowed without having to pay for this extra monthly charge, ie is it 9.75Kw, below 10?

What is the KW used by a washing machine, & a clothes & hair dryer? I was so surprised to find out that a kettle uses 3KW.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:02 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

What is the maximum voltage allowed without having to pay for this extra monthly charge, ie is it 9.75Kw, below 10?

What is the KW used by a washing machine, & a clothes & hair dryer? I was so surprised to find out that a kettle uses 3KW.
I presume you mean Wattage as the voltage is pretty much the same all over europe at about 230V.

I don't think it's a question of paying extra - you pay for what you are contracted to have. So, if you are contracted for 10kW then you will pay more than if you are contracted for only 3.75kW

Hair dryers are all different but they will use anywhere from 1 - 3 kW, some kettles are only 1kW and washing machines can be 5kW.

The most consumption is used by hobs and some (big) electric radiators. If you have lots of things on, then the ICP can trip.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm confused. I thought if you upgrade to a higher voltage like 10Kw or more, you need to pay the extra monthly charge €2 for each kw of contracted power.

Of course you need to pay for what you used but I thought on top of that you need to pay extra for the standing charge.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm confused. I thought if you upgrade to a higher voltage like 10Kw or more, you need to pay the extra monthly charge €2 for each kw of contracted power.

Of course you need to pay for what you used but I thought on top of that you need to pay extra for the standing charge.
You are part right. You do pay for what you use based on the total each month of the total kilowatt hours used each month.

The Standing Charge is based on the contracted potencia that you take in Kilowatts.

We have a Potencia of over 13 kilowatts and so our Standing Charge is about €30 a month. In some complicated way this seems also to be linked to the actual usage so that the standing charge is not the same each month it varies by about €2 or €3.

Your existing bills will have all this information laid out but it is not easy to follow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.