Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Suppliers

Electricity Suppliers

Old Oct 16th 2010, 2:09 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 130
polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricity Suppliers

Since we bought our property in Spain our electricity supplier has be Iberdrola. I was wondering if the system is the same as in the UK where you can change to a cheaper supplier. If so, can anyone recommend the best one and how to go about changing.
polly.walker is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2010, 3:00 pm
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
EsuriJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Puente Esuri
Posts: 6,902
EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Since we bought our property in Spain our electricity supplier has be Iberdrola. I was wondering if the system is the same as in the UK where you can change to a cheaper supplier. If so, can anyone recommend the best one and how to go about changing.
Yes but there do not appear to be comparison sites so who knows which is cheapest?
EsuriJohn is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2010, 3:06 pm
  #3  
Retired and loving it!
 
snikpoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontinyent - Valencia region (campo)
Posts: 5,142
snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Since we bought our property in Spain our electricity supplier has be Iberdrola. I was wondering if the system is the same as in the UK where you can change to a cheaper supplier. If so, can anyone recommend the best one and how to go about changing.
Yes, you can change. However, the prices are government controlled so (in theory) you won't find a cheaper supplier.

The basis for change might be better customer services, better payment options or better package deals etc.
snikpoh is offline  
Old Oct 16th 2010, 3:14 pm
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
EsuriJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Puente Esuri
Posts: 6,902
EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Yes, you can change. However, the prices are government controlled so (in theory) you won't find a cheaper supplier.

The basis for change might be better customer services, better payment options or better package deals etc.
Since July 2009 you have to make an election about your service (change) or the price goes up at about 6% per quarter. We changed from Sevillana Endesa to Endesa Power and are now saving 15% per bill.
EsuriJohn is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 8:51 am
  #5  
Retired and loving it!
 
snikpoh's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Ontinyent - Valencia region (campo)
Posts: 5,142
snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Since July 2009 you have to make an election about your service (change) or the price goes up at about 6% per quarter. We changed from Sevillana Endesa to Endesa Power and are now saving 15% per bill.
What you seem to be saying is that as I did NOT elect to change my service, then my bill has been going up at the rate of 6% per quarter - it has NOT
snikpoh is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:00 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
EsuriJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Puente Esuri
Posts: 6,902
EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by snikpoh
What you seem to be saying is that as I did NOT elect to change my service, then my bill has been going up at the rate of 6% per quarter - it has NOT
Thats what the leaflet picked up in the Endessa shop in Ayamonte says and our bill has a -15% line on the electricity costs. It was also written about in much of the Spanish press when the government announced the efforts they would make to liberlise the market and encourage people to make the election. Of course it may only apply to us since we have a 3 phase supply and 13.6 potencia!
EsuriJohn is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:03 am
  #7  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,859
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

The 6% quarterly increase only applied to people with a potencia over 10kw.

As these users were excluded from the government controlled TUR tariff, they were forced to go into the "Free market". That could include staying with Endesa but with a change to the free market version of the same company.

If they did not change then they were hit by this quarterly increase.

All other users are able to change suppliers but as the TUR tariff is the same there is little point.

As I have a over 10kw supply I did change from Endesa to Iberdrola as their rates for the "off peak" tariff were better than Endesa.
Fred James is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 9:10 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
EsuriJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Puente Esuri
Posts: 6,902
EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by Fred James
The 6% quarterly increase only applied to people with a potencia over 10kw.

As these users were excluded from the government controlled TUR tariff, they were forced to go into the "Free market". That could include staying with Endesa but with a change to the free market version of the same company.

If they did not change then they were hit by this quarterly increase.

All other users are able to change suppliers but as the TUR tariff is the same there is little point.

As I have a over 10kw supply I did change from Endesa to Iberdrola as their rates for the "off peak" tariff were better than Endesa.
Thanks for that Fred I asked sometime ago if Iberdola were cheaper than staying with Endessa but you did not respond so I thought there must not be much in it. It has taken us from last September to get it al sorted so I am reluctant to dive into the open market again just yet but can you give us some idea of the difference in the rates?

We use about 3 to 1 off peak to full rate and it certainly pays for us to be on the split tarrif and use the dishwasher, washing machine, pool pump and as much aircon/heating as possible after it goes to the cheap rate.
EsuriJohn is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:42 am
  #9  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,859
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Thanks for that Fred I asked sometime ago if Iberdola were cheaper than staying with Endessa but you did not respond so I thought there must not be much in it. It has taken us from last September to get it al sorted so I am reluctant to dive into the open market again just yet but can you give us some idea of the difference in the rates?

.
It was probably before I changed over. That was a story in itself. I tried 3 times to get a new free market contract from Endesa and every time they lost or ignored the paperwork It took about six months and they kept increasing my bill with the 6%.

I eventually gave up and went to Iberdrola who sorted it all out online and by email with no problems at all.

As for the rates, they have probably changed by now but they are all on the Endesa and Iberdrola websites.

Have you had an ICP fitted recently?
Fred James is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:52 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
EsuriJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Puente Esuri
Posts: 6,902
EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by Fred James
It was probably before I changed over. That was a story in itself. I tried 3 times to get a new free market contract from Endesa and every time they lost or ignored the paperwork It took about six months and they kept increasing my bill with the 6%.

I eventually gave up and went to Iberdrola who sorted it all out online and by email with no problems at all.

As for the rates, they have probably changed by now but they are all on the Endesa and Iberdrola websites.

Have you had an ICP fitted recently?
We are so new that I assume it was fitted at the get go. Endesa have examined our system many times since for the first 6 months we had lots of supply problems which turned out to be one phase having a tree planted through it outside our boundary and they eventually replaced that phase up to our box. Every time we complained they said it was not them and came in and checked our boards and systems and could find no fault. It was our electrician who said that there was something wrong on their side and the builder read the riot act over the phone to get them to move their butts. It also helped that a personal friend of his is a senior officer in Endesa locally. Its Spain its who you know not what you know!
EsuriJohn is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:54 am
  #11  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,859
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

The reason I ask is that up until last year they did not fit an ICP if you went for the off peak supply.

They are now insisting on it and if you have not got one they will "fine" you every month until you have one fitted. You "should" have had a letter or a visit.

The reason I mention it is that it can create problems if you have a 3 phase supply - it certainly did for me.

It is a triple breaker with ICP on it in small print alongside the rating which should be 20 amps for your supply. It should have a metal/plastic seal on it
Fred James is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:24 pm
  #12  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
EsuriJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Puente Esuri
Posts: 6,902
EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by Fred James
The reason I ask is that up until last year they did not fit an ICP if you went for the off peak supply.

They are now insisting on it and if you have not got one they will "fine" you every month until you have one fitted. You "should" have had a letter or a visit.

The reason I mention it is that it can create problems if you have a 3 phase supply - it certainly did for me.

It is a triple breaker with ICP on it in small print alongside the rating which should be 20 amps for your supply. It should have a metal/plastic seal on it
Yes I have got three of those one in each building and they all have a blue plastic seal through the eye.
EsuriJohn is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 6:30 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 943
olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by Fred James
The reason I ask is that up until last year they did not fit an ICP if you went for the off peak supply.

They are now insisting on it and if you have not got one they will "fine" you every month until you have one fitted. You "should" have had a letter or a visit.

The reason I mention it is that it can create problems if you have a 3 phase supply - it certainly did for me.

It is a triple breaker with ICP on it in small print alongside the rating which should be 20 amps for your supply. It should have a metal/plastic seal on it
What does ICP stand for? My OH would like the translation if you have it.
Thanks.
olivia is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 7:07 pm
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: London (mainly)/Oliva
Posts: 2,137
johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

When I bought my house I left my lawyer to set everything up. However my electricity potencia is set at a peak of 5.75kw.
Is it easy to change to higher potencia and does it entail a visit from Iberdrola to implement the change?
As I am only over every 6 weeks or so this could be a problem.
johnnyone is offline  
Old Oct 17th 2010, 10:44 pm
  #15  
 
Fred James's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Granada Costa
Posts: 10,859
Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Suppliers

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Yes I have got three of those one in each building and they all have a blue plastic seal through the eye.
What sort of buildings do you mean?

Is each building on a separate phase with a single ICP?
Fred James is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.