Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Help

Electricity Help

Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Help

[QUOTE=amideislas;9232286]
Originally Posted by snikpoh
If you ring through the actual readings every month (before they issue the bills) then they SHOULD use your figures rather than estimating.QUOTE]

For whatever reason, the electric companies religiously avoid giving refunds or even crediting your account. I can only speculate there's a loophole in the law enabling them to do this. I suppose our only defence is to prevent them from taking it in the first place (cancel direct debit and pay manually upon receiving satisfactory factura). This is legal and works for us, but Endesa refuses to refund what they owe us if we don't give them direct debit. But I think they would refuse anyway. They always did before.

Anyway, we've tried phoning AND using Endesa online to enter the meter readings, but using both of these methods, the readings we give are completely ignored.

The only way we've found to enter an official dispute and enter the meter readings is to go to the office personally (sometimes waiting hours in queue), give them the meter reading, and have them give you a paper stating that the factura is in dispute. Then they issue a new factura in a couple of weeks, and during that time they are unable to take action against you for not paying it.

The first time you go, however, be sure to have both last month's meter reading and this month's. Otherwise they will estimate last month's reading as low as possible so that this month's usage will appear higher. If you give both month's readings, they can't dispute it.

We are now using a digital camera to take snapshots of the meter readings. I now give them a photo of the meter each month. Hard to dispute that, and they also know I have the evidence...
It sounds like a real nightmare, and not having been through anything like that myself, I can only imagine the frustration.

Ok, a point has been made that if you cancel the direct debit, this "pardons" the refeund that the suplier has to give the customer. Do you mean that it is lost forever, or would the refund still be paid if you restarted the DD?

If you could restart the DD then in theory you could still get your refund, (I dont know) but it is possible.

Why no reinstate the DD, but make sure that there is not enough money in the account, then you can check with the bank (if possible) and find out the amount of the rejected payment.

You could then pay in cash, at least you would have a bit more control over what they take from your account and as the DD would still be active, then possibleyyou could still get the refund.

Not an ideal solution I know, but surely they cannot deny the customer a refund if the DD is in place, but without the funds availablbe in the account.

The point about taking photos is a good one, you have to beat the dirty barstewards at their own game.

Good luck....
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
We are now using a digital camera to take snapshots of the meter readings. I now give them a photo of the meter each month. Hard to dispute that, and they also know I have the evidence...
But how can you prove what day you took the photo?
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
But how can you prove what day you took the photo?
Obviously you have never held anyone to ransom.

You take the photo with the front page of the newspaper on show, and then keep the paper as evidence.........

Not that they give a stuff anyway probably, the sods would not even look at the evidence.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:10 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JLFS;9232799]

It sounds like a real nightmare, and not having been through anything like that myself, I can only imagine the frustration.

Ok, a point has been made that if you cancel the direct debit, this "pardons" the refeund that the suplier has to give the customer. Do you mean that it is lost forever, or would the refund still be paid if you restarted the DD?

If you could restart the DD then in theory you could still get your refund, (I dont know) but it is possible.

Why no reinstate the DD, but make sure that there is not enough money in the account, then you can check with the bank (if possible) and find out the amount of the rejected payment.

You could then pay in cash, at least you would have a bit more control over what they take from your account and as the DD would still be active, then possibleyyou could still get the refund.

Not an ideal solution I know, but surely they cannot deny the customer a refund if the DD is in place, but without the funds availablbe in the account.

The point about taking photos is a good one, you have to beat the dirty barstewards at their own game.

Good luck....
Well, that was my original idea.. but...

What they told me at Endesa was that becasue I cancelled Direct Deposit, the refunds are cancelled permanently. If I reinstate Direct Deposit, I will still not be eligible for the refunds, but would be eligible for any refunds in the future.

Well, outside of losing about €1000 in refunds, in addition to all the time and efforts required to get them to even acknowledge it in the first place, this doesn't help because from now on I will only pay bills which reflect actual use, not estimated use, and therefore there won't be any refunds since they won't be able to overcharge me in the first place.

I strongly suspect they would never have refunded the money anyway, but my goal was only to get an acknowledgement ,so that I could take it to the next level. Apparently, that is no longer possible.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

fadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the roughfadingstarlight is a jewel in the rough

Your bills sound ridiculously high, unless for some reason you are using a lot more electricity than a normal home. It looks very much like typical overcharging by issuing "estimated" bills. It is apparently a very common practice.
no we do not use more then a normal home would.
we have a friend who runs a computer business from his home and has 3 computers and more things plug in then us at all times and he pays a fraction of what we do. same as a friend of ours who owns a bar.

we are not a business.. how can a home with one fridge, one alarm clock, 2 computers that are new and that are maybe 500 watts, and a brand new energy efficient tv that is on maybe 10 hours intermittently per day and then like various things like cell phone charging, using hair styling tools sparatically, we rarely use our heat. in summer 24/7 going of our a/c was cheaper then more recent bills.
it is a brand new unit installed in 2010. i dont get it.

i thought maybe i was just used to really cheaper power in Canada (where i used to live) and that my bills were normal till we started talking to friends here about it.

i dont think the legal route sounds very beneficial.
i hate to have to be so anal about bills but i guess iberdrola is a child that needs to be held by the hand in order to correctly bill me.

well i can start taking the photo as others have and write down maybe my readings daily for a few weeks and see if there are any power spikes or unequal usage day to day and see if anything was different one to to another and really watch the numbers indicated on my bill...

like i dont have enough in my life already to worry about hahaha
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:17 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fadingstarlight
no we do not use more then a normal home would.
we have a friend who runs a computer business from his home and has 3 computers and more things plug in then us at all times and he pays a fraction of what we do. same as a friend of ours who owns a bar.

we are not a business.. how can a home with one fridge, one alarm clock, 2 computers that are new and that are maybe 500 watts, and a brand new energy efficient tv that is on maybe 10 hours intermittently per day and then like various things like cell phone charging, using hair styling tools sparatically, we rarely use our heat. in summer 24/7 going of our a/c was cheaper then more recent bills.
it is a brand new unit installed in 2010. i dont get it.

i thought maybe i was just used to really cheaper power in Canada (where i used to live) and that my bills were normal till we started talking to friends here about it.

i dont think the legal route sounds very beneficial.
i hate to have to be so anal about bills but i guess iberdrola is a child that needs to be held by the hand in order to correctly bill me.

well i can start taking the photo as others have and write down maybe my readings daily for a few weeks and see if there are any power spikes or unequal usage day to day and see if anything was different one to to another and really watch the numbers indicated on my bill...

like i dont have enough in my life already to worry about hahaha
my nextdoor neibours (who only come for holidays) both sides are having the same problem