Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electricity Help

Electricity Help

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:25 pm
Just Joined

BillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really niceBillyJo is just really nice
Default Re: Electricity Help

and plus Impuesto sobre electricidad (electricity tax), which together with IVA adds 24% to the cost.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I'm sure I posted this before but here goes again anyway;

Contracted rate - 0.056529 euros/kW/day so for 3.5kW for a month this is about 5.90 euros

PLUS

rental of equipment - 0.050301 euros/day so this is 1.5 euros per month.

Total monthly charge with no consumption based on 3.5kW is 7.4 euros

PLUS IVA of course

Thanks for your great reply.
My bill is quite easy to understand it looks like it is English, what I don't understand is the note on the right hand side which is a breakdown of distribution cost out of my 132.79 it says 59.40 goes to paying taxes and other charges and the remaning ammount 73.39 for the energy consumed , my contract is for 5.5 kw 10.88,
Perhaps someone can find time to explain better, and what is the differernce in having 8.8 kw or 5.5 kw ? baffled.
Many Thanks
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BigD
Thanks for your great reply.
My bill is quite easy to understand it looks like it is English, what I don't understand is the note on the right hand side which is a breakdown of distribution cost out of my 132.79 it says 59.40 goes to paying taxes and other charges and the remaning ammount 73.39 for the energy consumed , my contract is for 5.5 kw 10.88,
Perhaps someone can find time to explain better, and what is the differernce in having 8.8 kw or 5.5 kw ? baffled.
Many Thanks
The taxes quoted are not only the obvious ones (IVA etc. ) but are those governmental taxes included in the rates quoted.

The difference between 5.5 and 8.8 is 3.3 Nooooo! It's how much you are contracting to draw from the 'grid'. That is, how much you are allowed to use in one go.

So (in theory) if you have 6 1kW items on at the same time (hob, kettle, iron, heaters etc.) then you will be OK at 8.8 but will either trip the fuse or be charged extra for drawing more than the 5.5 contracted figure. This surcharge can be quite steep.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:11 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

So (in theory) if you have 6 1kW items on at the same time (hob, kettle, iron, heaters etc.) then you will be OK at 8.8 but will either trip the fuse or be charged extra for drawing more than the 5.5 contracted figure. This surcharge can be quite steep.
How can you be charged a surcharge for drawing more?

Surely the ICP will trip to prevent you doing that?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:14 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
How can you be charged a surcharge for drawing more?

Surely the ICP will trip to prevent you doing that?
As I said above, if one is fitted it will trip.

If one is not fitted, you will be charged a surcharge - I was for a long time until I had my potencia increased. (oh er, sounds bad having reread that )
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We are with a company call HC Energecia. We haven't had a bill in over a year. It used to be printed on the bank statement with the direct debit payment, but even this has stopped. We just have varying amounts paid by DD to the above company now. We have no way of knowing how much we have used or even if they are overcharging.

Anyone know if its legal to take money on DD without supplying a bill ?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:59 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As I said above, if one is fitted it will trip.

If one is not fitted, you will be charged a surcharge - I was for a long time until I had my potencia increased. (oh er, sounds bad having reread that )
So the surcharge is for not having an ICP rather than taking more power than your contract (they couldn't check that anyway!)

As I remember it from the letter they sent me, if you do not fit an ICP they increase your standing charge to the maximum (ie 10kw on a single phase supply).
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:24 am
Retired and loving it!

So the surcharge is for not having an ICP rather than taking more power than your contract (they couldn't check that anyway!)

As I remember it from the letter they sent me, if you do not fit an ICP they increase your standing charge to the maximum (ie 10kw on a single phase supply).
'round here Iberdrola are not interested in properties without an ICP - I know of many that don't have one and Iberdrola are not chasing them to have one installed.

My surcharge was based on usage (very clear on the bill) and my standing charge was not increased.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 1:09 pm

My surcharge was based on usage (very clear on the bill) and my standing charge was not increased.
The only time I have seen a surcharge like that was with Endesa about a year ago. If you used more than a certain number of units - about 1000 then anything above that was charged at a higher rate.

You would need a very special meter to be able to measure when you were exceeding the ICP rating (and as I said before that would trip it anyway).
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

The only time I have seen a surcharge like that was with Endesa about a year ago. If you used more than a certain number of units - about 1000 then anything above that was charged at a higher rate.

You would need a very special meter to be able to measure when you were exceeding the ICP rating (and as I said before that would trip it anyway).
Gee Fred! Read my points!

If you do NOT have an ICP, then excess usage will be charged!
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 5:47 pm

I do read your points but you need to be more specific.

You do have an ICP don't you?

If not what potencia are you being charged for?

Do you have a digital meter?

Was the surcharge per KW - if so what was the surcharge per KW?

Last edited by Fred James; Feb 3rd 2011 at 5:52 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Electricity Help

How?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We are with a company call HC Energecia. We haven't had a bill in over a year. It used to be printed on the bank statement with the direct debit payment, but even this has stopped. We just have varying amounts paid by DD to the above company now. We have no way of knowing how much we have used or even if they are overcharging.

No it's not legal. Are you down for having bills online maybe?
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

It's not possible to have online bills, this is the company that we were signed to by the solicitors when we bought. Just can't understand why they used to be on the bank statements and now they are not.

We'll have to check with the other brits in the village, everyone in the village gets their supply from the same company whether spanish or ex pats.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee

I am with Iberdrola and I don;t get a bill either, just a DD amount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.