Wikiposts

Electrician

Old May 12th 2014, 1:56 am
Just Joined

jamie83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electrician

Hi.

I'm a fully fledged UK electrician, I'm self employed in the UK and for some time now I have been thinking about offering electrical services in highly populated expat areas of europe, such as Spain. The reason, many people move abroad and buy do up properties or older properties which need re wires etc. My train of thought is that I could provide a reliable honest service where you know that im trained and qualified to a high spec, being time served from the UK and basically you know what you are getting. Just wondered if anybody thinks thia could be a possibility and if so where I could advertise to get maximum exposure.

Kind regards

Jamie
Old May 12th 2014, 2:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician

Originally Posted by jamie83
Hi.

I'm a fully fledged UK electrician, I'm self employed in the UK and for some time now I have been thinking about offering electrical services in highly populated expat areas of europe, such as Spain. The reason, many people move abroad and buy do up properties or older properties which need re wires etc. My train of thought is that I could provide a reliable honest service where you know that im trained and qualified to a high spec, being time served from the UK and basically you know what you are getting. Just wondered if anybody thinks thia could be a possibility and if so where I could advertise to get maximum exposure.

Kind regards

Jamie

Hi Jamie, I'm sorry but I'm probably going to burst your bubble. Not because I want to but because this is reality.

There is actually little construction work going on at the moment so that means that the existing electricians are quite plentiful.

The other, main issue, is that you would need to re-qualify here in Spain. Until you've done that, you will not be able to sign any work off and so will have to call upon an existing, Spanish electrician.

You may find it's possible to get the smaller jobs that don't need to be 'signed off', but I doubt that wil be enough work to live off.

Sorry!
Old May 12th 2014, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Chester50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Snikpoh

Do you know how you can re-qualify in Spain and if so, where?
Old May 12th 2014, 4:28 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Did you realise that Spain´s electrics are somewhat different and they don´t use ring mains? Obviously you can adapt - but you will need to

Davexf
Old May 12th 2014, 4:34 am
Just Joined

jamie83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Did you realise that Spain´s electrics are somewhat different and they don´t use ring mains? Obviously you can adapt - but you will need to

Davexf
Hi mate

Yeah have a fair idea on their systems plus they just put everything on an rcd. Noticed the no ring main situation on various holidays. From what iv seen its not the greatest setup.

Jamie
Old May 12th 2014, 4:51 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chester50
Hi Snikpoh

Do you know how you can re-qualify in Spain and if so, where?
No I'm sorry but I don't.

I don't know how true it is but I have heard that they make it very hard for 'foreigners' - almost like a closed shop.
Old May 12th 2014, 5:11 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

And I would imagine fluent Spanish would be a requirement.
Old May 14th 2014, 4:34 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Two of my friends are electricians. They work almost exclusively for English speaking clients and seem to have sufficient work.

The systems used in Spain are completely different to that you will be used to in the UK.

Technically you are not permitted to carry out any work other than where you are supervised by a qualified electrician qualified to Spanish regulation.

Just as in the UK, many do ignore the rules. However please be aware, you and your client are liable to prosecution if you carry out work illegally.
Old May 14th 2014, 4:42 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Hi,

Two of my friends are electricians. They work almost exclusively for English speaking clients and seem to have sufficient work.

The systems used in Spain are completely different to that you will be used to in the UK.

Technically you are not permitted to carry out any work other than where you are supervised by a qualified electrician qualified to Spanish regulation.

Just as in the UK, many do ignore the rules. However please be aware, you and your client are liable to prosecution if you carry out work illegally.
My husband was a qualified electrician and electrical engineer but he decided that he would not re-wire our house but employed a Spanish electrician as he wanted everything to be totally legal.

Rosemary
Old May 14th 2014, 4:43 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
My husband was a qualified electrician and electrical engineer but he decided that he would not re-wire our house but employed a Spanish electrician as he wanted everything to be totally legal.

Rosemary
Very sensible man
Old May 17th 2014, 10:54 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth I know a guy who was an electrician back in the UK. He's been out here working for himself for the last 15 years. He's also very busy with work.
He doesn't do any "big electrical" stuff but is always been called upon by expats to go and fix this that or the other.
I'll be calling him soon as some led lights have failed in my business and I know he'll know how to fix them.
I think he advertises as a being a handy man as he doesn't have the Spanish certification for electrics.
Old May 18th 2014, 1:35 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

all this about "Spanish Certified Electrician", and I have just had a kitchen fitted where the "fitter" was supposed to be doing the electrics as well.
AFAIK he isn't certified but his employer lets him do the electrics as it is all hidden at the back of the units. And electricians cost money.

So when I saw he had wired the hotplates and the oven to the standard 16A circuit for things like the kettle by removing the fittings and adding chocolate blocks I went mad. Found many other basic faults, one of which he only had a bag of 10A chocolate blocks but hey ho they worked in any situation so that was alright.

Called in the company boss, he told me it was alright everything would work on the day. Told him where he could go, what he could do with his kitchen and what time he could come round the next day to remove it as I was not going to sit next to an unsafe kitchen appliance for the next 20 years.
So he brought out 2 electricians who came in, pulled out all the pigtails and choc blocks, put back the proper connectors, connected the hotplate and oven to the correct circuit with 45A cable, wired extension sockets permanently fitted for each other electrical item and gave me a safe kitchen.
And the "fitter" stood there stoney faced and watched it all go on around him.

I am years out of practice but after years of doing project management and overseeing some really excellent work will not accept sub-standard work. The problem is that just like the UK you will get guys who will try it on. And remember that if the installation is wrong then the owner holds responsibility and any insurances will be null and void.
Old May 18th 2014, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Forget it, As an Electronics Eng, IERE, with Sat comms experience since the late 60s (Apollo) and later IBA/Sky and 30 yrs plus of microwave design and implementation cannot legally install my own dish. (I might forget the Earthing installation/and measurements or the self vulcanising tape etc).
M
Old May 18th 2014, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Chester50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Iamstu

Although my trade is electrical and lighting I can put my hand to most things. I am installing a new shower in my parents house at the moment and when I move to Spain my first project will be to make a bespoke console table for the hallway.

I know that the employment situation isnt very good in Spain at the moment and when I move over at the end of the month I can sustain myself but I like to have projects to keep my mind busy so that was why I was wondering what I would need to do to be legal in Spain.
Old May 18th 2014, 11:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I know a guy who was a carpenter, came out here, became a general builder, refurbed a couple of houses, did some electrical work.
then The Crisis hit.
He ended up installing wireless telephone systems and satellite systems. Got all his work from expats, no Spanish, and obviously that was drying up as well as he lived in Granada but most of his work came off the coast.
He would have to visit the coast at 90km ++ more than once to get a system right.

Anyway he is now back in the UK, working as a carpenter, and it looks like the marriage may last.

Sorry to be negative but they have good weather in Italy, perhaps there is a need for people out there - or will expats on the Italy forum give the same warnings

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.