Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Electrical insurance with Iberdrola

Electrical insurance with Iberdrola

Old Jun 23rd 2023, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Electrical insurance with Iberdrola

Do you think that the home electrical insurance offered by providers is worth it?. I never paid any attention to it but this month Iberdrola has doubled it to 8.35€ a month. I live in an apartment block in a one bedroom flat and no expensive electrical units. I can't see what major electrical issues I might have that couldn't be dealt with by a private electrician. What do folks think?

Last edited by Ronnyone; Jun 23rd 2023 at 7:24 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrical insurance with Iberdrola

I was scammed into it by one of those contract reviews done by people in Carrefour and Leroy Merlin - when I realised what was going on and I was paying over 100€ a year I went to the Iberdrola shop twice and was told the computer was down - I eventually cancelled it in another of their shops.

I suppose if you have an old installation it may be useful insurance but my house is only 20 years old and I don't have problems so IMO a waste of money.

But I do keep the telephone number of an electrician handy just in case.

Old Jun 23rd 2023, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I was scammed into it by one of those contract reviews done by people in Carrefour and Leroy Merlin - when I realised what was going on and I was paying over 100€ a year I went to the Iberdrola shop twice and was told the computer was down - I eventually cancelled it in another of their shops.

I suppose if you have an old installation it may be useful insurance but my house is only 20 years old and I don't have problems so IMO a waste of money.

But I do keep the telephone number of an electrician handy just in case.
Okay thanks. I never really noticed it originally as it was heavily discounted but now it has rocketed. They make all these things so hard.with all the different discounts running out at different times. I also have a good electrician who is not expensive so if anything happened I can get things fixed
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is what happens - the Iberdrola lady accepted that I wanted to cancel but said at the time I was getting a very good price because new contracts were more expensive.

Yes I was lucky and found a good sparky as well who also does other odd jobs that I don't want to do (or can't!!)
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, this is what happens - the Iberdrola lady accepted that I wanted to cancel but said at the time I was getting a very good price because new contracts were more expensive.

Yes I was lucky and found a good sparky as well who also does other odd jobs that I don't want to do (or can't!!)
I just phoned them. God they really do everything to prevent you cancelling!!. Admittedly I have to do it in spanish so I have a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to dealing with all the ploys and discounts they use to try and stop you cancelling- anyway finally got it removed.
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 8:11 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

In any case your home insurance might already have a "servicio manitas" (handyman).
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, most do now but the scope of work is quite limited.

Can I suggest everyone checks their Iberdrola contract/invoice and if they are being charged this consider if they want/need it - maybe a good opportunity to save money.
Old Jun 23rd 2023, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I changed supplier to Iberdrola, and they sent me a new contract in the post. Not only was there a new contract for the electricity supply, but also ones for maintenance of electrical installation and for gas (and I don't have gas in the property!). I used the desistimiento process (a cooling off period in law which allows consumers to cancel new contracts without penalty within 15 days and the company cannot refuse it). I checked the t&cs to find where it had to be sent to and it could be done by email, so if anyone takes out a new contract and finds they have been signed up to something they don't want it is a good way to get them cancelled without having to struggle on the phone.

Desistimiento de Contrato: ¿qué es? ▷ Actualizado 2023 (conceptosjuridicos.com)

Old Jun 23rd 2023, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, most do now but the scope of work is quite limited.

Can I suggest everyone checks their Iberdrola contract/invoice and if they are being charged this consider if they want/need it - maybe a good opportunity to save money.
We dont have it but I can remember it being one of the tick boxes I unchecked when we took the five year deal out..

I do have the electrical emergency but I dont think thats something you can opt out as it covers call outs to the meters (which I cant access anyway as they are in a large green shed across the road. Its €3 a month.

I have noticed that the IVA reduction is still being applied to the bill and the standing charges have also reduced to less than 25% of the total bill instead of the over 50% it was a couple of years ago..
Old Jun 24th 2023, 12:19 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

My bill doesn't have this. Looks like an additional service.
Old Jun 24th 2023, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Don’t take it, it’s a way of trying to keep you as a customer, when it comes to it they will not honour it.

I was going to change supplier but they offered me this offer of electrical installation cover.

lo and behold my three phase system started to fail on one phase, which resulted in flashing lights.

I found the issue, it was the supply cables connection before the fuse, on one phase. BEFORE THE FUSE being the important issue here, ie it’s not a DIY fix, in fact it’s dangerous.

I called them in all confidence that they would repair it.

they turned up looked at it and said it was not their responsibility.😳😳

I phoned them and they said it is definitely not their bag, so I argued if my system is protected by their paid for scheme, then prior to the fuse MUST be protected..

no it’s not, so I told them their insurance is not worth the paper it’s written on!

I had to BRIBE or pay cash if you want the less angry version, to the Iberdrola guys to fix it, which they did. They took out rubber mats, rubber gauntlets and huge rubber boots to fix what in reality was a loose connection.

BTW I’m a U.K. spark and anything before your fuse/meter in a normal country is the responsibility of the grid/supplier..

Do not take it out, in fact avoid Iberdrola they speak with fork tongue!

regards
Al