Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Elderly parents needing nursing or care home

Elderly parents needing nursing or care home

Old Jul 7th 2019, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Thelazyveggie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Elderly parents needing nursing or care home

Hi I hope someone can give me some advice. My parents who are now in their 80s have been living in Torrevieja since 2002. They are both Spanish residents now. My mum had a stroke last November, and with support from neighbours, nurses and my dad they were managing OK. However my dad who is 85 has fallen ill and is no longer able to do much for himself, let alone take care of someone else. It's clear now that they need to go into a nursing home in Spain, as they aren't well enough to travel to the UK. I realise it will be a private one as state run homes have a waiting list. Can anyone advise me of how to go about this. I speak Spanish but have never had to deal with anything like this before. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Jul 7th 2019, 1:45 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Elderly parents needing nursing or care home

I speak Spanish but have never had to deal with anything like this before.
See town hall web page Ayuntamiento de Torrevieja
Possibly the best nursing home in the area is RESIDENCIA ROJALES >

Last edited by missile; Jul 7th 2019 at 1:47 am.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks I'll check both of those out. Any other suggestions gratefully received.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

We looked into this for my mum last year.

expect to pay at least 1000 per month, each.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 6:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks that's what lots of people are saying. Looks like they'll have to put the house on the market.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 7:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thelazyveggie
Thanks that's what lots of people are saying. Looks like they'll have to put the house on the market.
I don't know what the legal situation is in Spain, but in France, the children are legally responsible for paying nursing home fees if the parents' income isn't sufficient. When they discovered this, my elderly neighbour's children managed to whisk her back to the UK, but I appreciate that your two parents' handicaps might be greater than hers (she was wheelchair-ridden). In France, Nursing Homes are well over 2000€ per month.....
As for selling your parents' house, you'd have to see about finances with the Home's Accountant. Your parents' Doctor should start the administrative balls rolling, I imagine there's the same amount of paperwork as in France!
I do wish you all the best and hope you find a solution quickly.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

tebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond reputetebo53 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I hope someone can give me some advice. My parents who are now in their 80s have been living in Torrevieja since 2002. They are both Spanish residents now. My mum had a stroke last November, and with support from neighbours, nurses and my dad they were managing OK. However my dad who is 85 has fallen ill and is no longer able to do much for himself, let alone take care of someone else. It's clear now that they need to go into a nursing home in Spain, as they aren't well enough to travel to the UK. I realise it will be a private one as state run homes have a waiting list. Can anyone advise me of how to go about this. I speak Spanish but have never had to deal with anything like this before. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
​​​​​​
​​​​​
www.anneke.es is a care home for the elderly at Alfaz Del Pi. All information is on their website.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair.. wouldn´t it be better to take them back to the UK ? Drive back if they cant fly, but get them closer to family.

Without being rude, I would get them to make a will now, while they still can. Dividing stuff up afterwards in Spain, without a will.. is a nightmare. Any assets go automatically to the first son I believe? If they still have a car in their name, transfer it now. Maybe put their house in your name too?
Old Jul 8th 2019, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi fortunately they've already made a will, I'm in the process of getting power of attorney in Spain so I can take care of everything. I would love to bring them back to the UK but they're really not able anymore.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi fortunately they've already made a will, I'm in the process of getting power of attorney in Spain so I can take care of everything. I would love to bring them back to the UK but they're really not able anymore.

My mum passed a couple of years ago, over here. She had a will - the house and the car were the only assets she had, but some people have things alot more complicated.

I´m sorry, I wasn´t trying to be rude or upset you, I was talking from experience. My mum had a stroke. I wish I had taken her back to the UK, she´d of received better care I think.