El Chorro

Old May 6th 2008, 9:15 am
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: El Chorro

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Ouch, painful. And I thought he was shot in the chest

Seriously though, El Chorro (correct spelling this time) is a dramatic place to visit, as are the lakes. If driving in from the West side as you would from or to the lakes it is worth taking the little dead end road which winds up to a cafe bar perched high on the hill next to a pump reservoir and you get a fantastic view down over the gorge.
I would love to go up there but i know i just could not get past the 4th step. 5 steps up a ladder and i am shitting myself.
Old May 6th 2008, 9:41 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CBANDY
I would love to go up there but i know i just could not get past the 4th step. 5 steps up a ladder and i am shitting myself.
To get to the cafe bar there is no walking, just a drive up a dead end road to the top and the mirador overlooking the gorge.
Old May 6th 2008, 10:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
To get to the cafe bar there is no walking, just a drive up a dead end road to the top and the mirador overlooking the gorge.
Is that the hotel near the station ?
Old May 6th 2008, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

Its called Bar La Mesa. This bar is sited on one of the oldest buildings in the area with a full circle corn thrashing type! There is also an old roman fort up there as well. You can watch the condors soaring up and the pictures you could get would be fantastic.
Carry on past El Chorro station and continue driving upwards, after about 6 kms you come to a bar called Rockabellas, well worth a visit, food to die for and cheap.
Old May 6th 2008, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

Further to last. Travel through Alora and continue to follow El Chorro signs. After about 10kms you come to the hydroelectricity station on your right at the end of the lake. Continue ahead and do not go over any bridges but keep up to the left of the lake. You will then come to small bar on your left and ahead of you you can see the gorge with the wooden bridge across. Continue on this road for about 3kms and you come to small white church facing you. Keep going and the next small turning on your left is opposite some bins. Turn left and keep going to the very end. Oh yes there is the remains of a church carved out of the sandstone on the way up about three quarters the way.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:39 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Kin ell I would rather jump out of a plane, well ok then maybe not
Old May 6th 2008, 2:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keddyboy
Further to last. Travel through Alora and continue to follow El Chorro signs. After about 10kms you come to the hydroelectricity station on your right at the end of the lake. Continue ahead and do not go over any bridges but keep up to the left of the lake. You will then come to small bar on your left and ahead of you you can see the gorge with the wooden bridge across. Continue on this road for about 3kms and you come to small white church facing you. Keep going and the next small turning on your left is opposite some bins. Turn left and keep going to the very end. Oh yes there is the remains of a church carved out of the sandstone on the way up about three quarters the way.
I will have a look there when we next go, we usually only go as far as the lakes.
Old May 6th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I know a few of you have been there, but have you been to this bit ?

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1438490562

Put it on full screen.
Unbelievable, have walked along the railway track through the bridge...and when the vultures are out, awe-inspiring, amazing place.