British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   El Chorro (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/el-chorro-534491/)

jdr May 5th 2008 7:44 pm

El Chorro

I know a few of you have been there, but have you been to this bit ?

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1438490562

Put it on full screen. :thumbup:

jules h May 5th 2008 8:14 pm

Re: El Chorro

Thanks for the link to a really amazing clip. Really worth a look.
El Chorro is a great place but think I will contine to enjoy it my way. From the bottom!!!

me me May 5th 2008 8:15 pm

OH my God, I was terrified and I was sitting on my sofa.

Sam Greenfield May 5th 2008 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6310451)
I know a few of you have been there, but have you been to this bit ?

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?title=1438490562

Put it on full screen. :thumbup:

:eek: dont think i could have walked that :eek: was bad enough just watching it - scarey stuff

happybunny May 5th 2008 8:33 pm

brillant video clip,where abouts is this place

bil May 5th 2008 8:49 pm

Dear god.

I really don't like heights, so there is no way I will be going there!

Same Difference May 5th 2008 8:57 pm

No health and safety there then? :eek:

Jeez, that is frightening!

jdr May 5th 2008 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by happybunny (Post 6310674)
brillant video clip,where abouts is this place

It`s inland from Malaga city, on the way to Granada, Alorra I think its called, they do free trips there with the blanket trip people, you can get info at the Palermo Park carboot on wednesdays.
It`s where they filmed the train scenes in Frank Sinatras film "Von Ryans Express"

CBANDY May 6th 2008 6:42 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6311018)
It`s inland from Malaga city, on the way to Granada, Alorra I think its called, they do free trips there with the blanket trip people, you can get info at the Palermo Park carboot on wednesdays.
It`s where they filmed the train scenes in Frank Sinatras film "Von Ryans Express"

That was one of the most scarey footage i have ever seen. Absolutley fantastic though. That took a brave person. I am, though, facinated by the history of it. What a great place.

jdr May 6th 2008 6:57 am

Originally Posted by CBANDY (Post 6312176)
That was one of the most scarey footage i have ever seen. Absolutley fantastic though. That took a brave person. I am, though, facinated by the history of it. What a great place.

Just Google it there is lots on it like THIS

Bri and Katee May 6th 2008 6:58 am

definately would be off limits to the health and safety zealots in the UK!!!

I like the way the guy just didn't seem to have any fear, I was worried just watching the movie! Especially the parts where he passed the others, one guy was even tethered to the wall with a sliding harness, he just walked around him!

jdr May 6th 2008 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee (Post 6312211)
definately would be off limits to the health and safety zealots in the UK!!!

I like the way the guy just didn't seem to have any fear, I was worried just watching the movie! Especially the parts where he passed the others, one guy was even tethered to the wall with a sliding harness, he just walked around him!

In the last three years 5 people have fallen off it.
Look on the link I gave to it in the previous post, it was made out of planks of wood.

El Capitan May 6th 2008 7:32 am

Have visited El Chooro a few times and the Camino de Rey is now closed to walkers. Many people wish they had tried the "walk" before it was closed. Note that in the clip the green bridge to the left looking downstream is a railway bridge on the old Alora to Bobadillo line.

jdr May 6th 2008 8:18 am

Originally Posted by El Capitan (Post 6312297)
Have visited El Chooro a few times and the Camino de Rey is now closed to walkers. Many people wish they had tried the "walk" before it was closed. Note that in the clip the green bridge to the left looking downstream is a railway bridge on the old Alora to Bobadillo line.

Thats the bridge where Frankie got shot in the film.;-))

El Capitan May 6th 2008 8:57 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 6312450)
Thats the bridge where Frankie got shot in the film.;-))

Ouch, painful. And I thought he was shot in the chest :D

Seriously though, El Chorro (correct spelling this time) is a dramatic place to visit, as are the lakes. If driving in from the West side as you would from or to the lakes it is worth taking the little dead end road which winds up to a cafe bar perched high on the hill next to a pump reservoir and you get a fantastic view down over the gorge.