Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EHIC Health Card for Ex Pat Pensioners

EHIC Health Card for Ex Pat Pensioners

Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

cadiar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EHIC Health Card for Ex Pat Pensioners

For your information, those EU Pensioners and Dependants who are at present covered on a Spanish EHIC, will find that any new card will now show an expiry date of 28/02/2010 irrespective of when it is issued. Unless a member of the Spanish Social Security system.

I have been informed by the the British Consulate in Malaga, that from 01/03/2010 all EHIC cards for this category will be issued by the applicants Home Country and not Spain.

I have sent an enquiry to: https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do
If I get a reply I will add the information.

Last edited by cadiar; Jul 8th 2009 at 8:15 pm. Reason: omitted info added
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC Health Card for Ex Pat Pensioners

That reminds me I don't have mine.

Last edited by twistedmelon; Jul 8th 2009 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:46 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadiar
For your information, those EU Pensioners and Dependants who are at present covered on a Spanish EHIC, will find that any new card will now show an expiry date of 28/02/2010 irrespective of when it is issued. Unless a member of the Spanish Social Security system.

I have been informed by the the British Consulate in Malaga, that from 01/03/2010 all EHIC cards for this category will be issued by the applicants Home Country and not Spain.

Ours expire in April 2010.

So do we have to apply to the DWP in the UK for them??
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

At what age do you become eligable for free health care in spain, my partner is 61 and gets it here in the UK, but not sure if he will be entitled to it there.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
At what age do you become eligable for free health care in spain, my partner is 61 and gets it here in the UK, but not sure if he will be entitled to it there.
When you reach UK retirement age. So 60 for women, 65 for men. However, when one or other reaches retirement age, the other is covered as a dependent on an E121 form from the Dept of Work and Pensions in Newcastle.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks for the info, unfortunately I have far to many years before I reach 60, he will hit 65 first.

I am going to be working out there so he should be covered by my ss payments but will have to look into it with social here prior to us moving which is in about 3 weeks,
Old Jul 8th 2009, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
Many thanks for the info, unfortunately I have far to many years before I reach 60, he will hit 65 first.

I am going to be working out there so he should be covered by my ss payments but will have to look into it with social here prior to us moving which is in about 3 weeks,
If you are working and paying social security and your husband isn't working, he will be covered.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:04 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the issue is how one defines "Home Country" - place of birth or place of residency?
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that it only applies to resident expats who are not members of the Spanish heath system?

As far as I was aware, INSS currently only issue EHIC cards to people who are on the Spanish system. Are you saying that they have been issuing them to any resident - in the system or not?