Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

EHIC card Spain Resident not retired

EHIC card Spain Resident not retired

Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:24 am
Just Joined

fyfin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EHIC card Spain Resident not retired

We registered as Spanish residents last month having been here permanently since October 2012 (so no chance to register before the rules were changed in April 2012). We are not pensioners and both have UK EHIC cards which expire in Sep 2013.

I am trying to see if we are entitled to an EHIC card from UK as it appears pensioners are - this was taken from Gov website :- "

"If you are a UK state pensioner living in Spain and registered for healthcare with an S1, the UK is responsible for issuing your EHIC to use on a temporary stay in the UK and a third EU country. For more information, telephone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999. "

But there is no mention of early retirees like us so are we left without any free emergency cover in any EU country we visit (obviously we can take out travel insurance)?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC card Spain Resident not retired

Originally Posted by fyfin

But there is no mention of early retirees like us so are we left without any free emergency cover in any EU country we visit (obviously we can take out travel insurance)?
As I understand it (I am in the same position myself) that is exactly right - we cannot get an EHIC card issued either by Spain or by the UK until we reach state pension age at which time we can apply to have one issued by the UK.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:35 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

We registered as Spanish residents last month having been here permanently since October 2012 (so no chance to register before the rules were changed in April 2012). We are not pensioners and both have UK EHIC cards which expire in Sep 2013.

I am trying to see if we are entitled to an EHIC card from UK as it appears pensioners are - this was taken from Gov website :- "

"If you are a UK state pensioner living in Spain and registered for healthcare with an S1, the UK is responsible for issuing your EHIC to use on a temporary stay in the UK and a third EU country. For more information, telephone the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 191 218 1999. "

An EHIC card wouldnt do you much good anyway, as they are mainly only used for emergency treatment / temporary cover whilst on holiday. You need private health care really unless you are working or are of pensionable age
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:45 am
Just Joined

fyfin is an unknown quantity at this point

I wasn't intending the EHIC card for use in Spain but more for when we visit UK or another EU country but I suppose travel insurance would cover that. I'm tempted to just renew the existing EHIC cards and lie about where we are living. We still have a UK address but I like to do things legal so I probably won't.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't intending the EHIC card for use in Spain but more for when we visit UK or another EU country but I suppose travel insurance would cover that. I'm tempted to just renew the existing EHIC cards and lie about where we are living. We still have a UK address but I like to do things legal so I probably won't.
why not, so many seem to do so.
but as Mitzy says - it is only for emergencies and will not cover you for anything here in Spain other than the normal EHIC remit.

Luckily I retired 18m early so was covered by an S1 until retirement, otherwise I was going to get a short term insurance policy. As things go they seem to be relatively cheap considering what you get covered for.

`
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:21 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
why not, so many seem to do so.
but as Mitzy says - it is only for emergencies and will not cover you for anything here in Spain other than the normal EHIC remit.

Luckily I retired 18m early so was covered by an S1 until retirement, otherwise I was going to get a short term insurance policy. As things go they seem to be relatively cheap considering what you get covered for.

`
cross purposes here

he has (temporary, as early retired) access to Spanish state healthcare via the S1

he wants to know if he gets an EHIC from the UK, as would a pensioner with the S1 - or does he apply for a Spanish EHIC/TSE??

I have to admit I don't know
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:25 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
cross purposes here

he has (temporary, as early retired) access to Spanish state healthcare via the S1

he wants to know if he gets an EHIC from the UK, as would a pensioner with the S1 - or does he apply for a Spanish EHIC/TSE??

I have to admit I don't know
surely you can't get a Spanish EHIC unless you are contributing to the system.
brings to mind the situation of being stateless
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

surely you can't get a Spanish EHIC unless you are contributing to the system.
brings to mind the situation of being stateless
I don't know!!!

if you have an S1 then your healthcare is paid for by the UK - so in a way you are contributing to the system

but of course the same applies to pensioners & they have to get theirs from the UK............
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:55 pm

I don't know!!!

if you have an S1 then your healthcare is paid for by the UK - so in a way you are contributing to the system

but of course the same applies to pensioners & they have to get theirs from the UK............
my understanding was that the EHIC comes from the country where you are resident and paying into the medical system.
if you have an S1 then that means the UK provides the EHIC
if the S1 expires, as we know it does then surely the EHIC would also expire until such time as the retirement S1 is issued and an EHIC can then be granted.

if falling between the two stools you would need to have medical cover or pay the autonomo and get a Spanish EHIC, but the former could be cheaper than €275/m. Depends on what you want out of it.

`
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:02 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

my understanding was that the EHIC comes from the country where you are resident and paying into the medical system.
if you have an S1 then that means the UK provides the EHIC
if the S1 expires, as we know it does then surely the EHIC would also expire until such time as the retirement S1 is issued and an EHIC can then be granted.

if falling between the two stools you would need to have medical cover or pay the autonomo and get a Spanish EHIC, but the former could be cheaper than €275/m. Depends on what you want out of it.

`
yes, logically

I think someone needs to phone the DWP....
Old Apr 5th 2013, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Worth a look here

http://www.healthcareinspain.eu/the-ehic.php
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish residents can get a Spanish EHIC card (Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea) to cover them when they travel in other EU countries outside Spain. But you have to be in the Spanish social security system, or the dependent of someone who is.

http://www.vivireuropa.com/2011/09/c...sanitaria.html
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by spainrico
I says 'insured person' - so I guess that means non-pensioners with S1s ?

I have S1s for me & my daughters - so I would get EHICs from the UK to use abroad?

(I do actually have S1s, but don't use them because I work here & we have TSEs )
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I could not apply for a UK EHIC card. When it became necessary I applied for a Spanish one because I was a dependent and eligible. I was not eligible for a UK one, although I had one when I first moved here. I was told that as I was no longer a UK resident, I did not qualify for an EHIC. I cant remember if that was when I had S1 or not, but to be honest for one reason or another we only ended up with 18 months cover

My take on it from what I was told is that your EHIC card is issued by your country of residence to cover you for emergencies when you are on holiday. Therefore if you live in Spain a UK EHIC card is no use to you when you are in the UK, as it is not relevant.

I have known people use UK EHIC cards when they live in Spain, but its a dodgy road to go down these days
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:13 pm
Senior Moment

I says 'insured person' - so I guess that means non-pensioners with S1s ?

I have S1s for me & my daughters - so I would get EHICs from the UK to use abroad?

(I do actually have S1s, but don't use them because I work here & we have TSEs )
No, because surely that covers you for holiday in Spain when you live and are resident in the UK, but the Op wants one to cover them when they are in the UK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.