British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Eggs in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/eggs-spain-394804/)

YMF Sep 5th 2006 1:59 pm

Eggs in Spain

Hi
Does anyone have any information on how safe it is to use raw eggs in Spain? I was about to make some mayonnaise when I was told that I shouldn't because of the problems with salmonella with Spanish eggs.
A google search seemed to confirm it Raw Eggs

I do wonder if the supermarkets source "safe" eggs only?

The initial info came from a friend who recently had a very serious case of salmonella, the doctor said it almost certainly was caused by the strain found in eggs.

I'm sure there is some saying about broken eggs and omelette's but cant think of it at the moment............I'm sure someone else will do though!

Yvonne

La Joconde Sep 5th 2006 2:21 pm

Re: Eggs in Spain

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi
Does anyone have any information on how safe it is to use raw eggs in Spain? I was about to make some mayonnaise when I was told that I shouldn't because of the problems with salmonella with Spanish eggs.

The initial info came from a friend who recently had a very serious case of salmonella, the doctor said it almost certainly was caused by the strain found in eggs.

I'm sure there is some saying about broken eggs and omelette's but cant think of it at the moment............I'm sure someone else will do though!

Yvonne

Have never had any problems with eggs, or with making mayonnaise, which I do often. When I purchase eggs I am careful to check that the date stamp has several weeks to go, and always transport them in a cooler box to keep them a fresh as possible. Eggs can go off very quickly in the heat.

I try to use the eggs within 2 weeks of purchase, after that, OK for omelettes etc, but I wouldnt use to make a mayo then.

Hope this helps.

Casa Santo Estevo Sep 5th 2006 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi

Yvonne

We run a Casa Rural and our inspector, from the Xunta, (Junta) says that raw eggs must not be used. It seems that salmonella, here in Spain, is prevalent. No source can be trusted it seems.

jjh Sep 5th 2006 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi

Yvonne

The saying is 'You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs' !!!! :D

poollounger Sep 6th 2006 7:55 am

Originally Posted by La Joconde
Have never had any problems with eggs, or with making mayonnaise, which I do often. When I purchase eggs I am careful to check that the date stamp has several weeks to go, and always transport them in a cooler box to keep them a fresh as possible. Eggs can go off very quickly in the heat.

I try to use the eggs within 2 weeks of purchase, after that, OK for omelettes etc, but I wouldnt use to make a mayo then.

Hope this helps.

Do raw eggs eventually explode if left in the heat??? We realised we had left some in the open switched off fridge when we were back home in London, and I wondered if they might eventually explode...have asked a friend to go and remove...

BritBull Sep 6th 2006 9:46 am

Originally Posted by YMF
Hi

Yvonne

Don't talk to me about eggs.
I have just resurfaced after 5 days of hell after a dose of salmonella :(
Caught it from a very runny egg as part of a English Brekky in Gibraltar.
Very very nasty.

sunnysenorita Sep 6th 2006 9:55 am

I've never had a problem with eggs here in Spain and I have eaten undercooked 'boiled' eggs at home when my partner has 'cooked' breakfast.

Also we always order alioli in restaurants and have never had a problem.

Perhaps we have just been lucky. I will certainly think twice before I let him cook breakfast in future.

Do we have to be wary of mayonnaise in restaurants too? surely these are made with Spanish eggs?

jdr Sep 6th 2006 10:40 am

Originally Posted by BritBull
Don't talk to me about eggs.
I have just resurfaced after 5 days of hell after a dose of salmonella :(
Caught it from a very runny egg as part of a English Brekky in Gibraltar.
Very very nasty.

How many times have you been told.... fry ups are bad for you ;)
;)

ScotinSpain Sep 6th 2006 11:43 am

Originally Posted by poollounger
Do raw eggs eventually explode if left in the heat??? We realised we had left some in the open switched off fridge when we were back home in London, and I wondered if they might eventually explode...have asked a friend to go and remove...

I've just asked a friend about this poollounger (I thought chicked laid fried eggs!) and he thinks you may have left the eggs in a microwave ;)

Chiclanagir Sep 6th 2006 5:36 pm

Well life is full of risks and it´s not going to stop me eating a runny egg. As for the allioli in restaurants, I would think that it is bought in in jars.