Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Eczema - any good tips anyone??

Eczema - any good tips anyone??

Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future
Default Eczema - any good tips anyone??

Does anyone know of any great products or things that can soothe or clear up eczema on the face......either products to buy, or home remedies!

Normally I would go down to Boots, but where we live here the range of shops is limited to say the least

Would be very grateful for any tips! Never had this problem before so not sure why its decided to start now
Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eczema - any good tips anyone??

Originally Posted by hellokittty
Does anyone know of any great products or things that can soothe or clear up eczema on the face......either products to buy, or home remedies!

Normally I would go down to Boots, but where we live here the range of shops is limited to say the least

Would be very grateful for any tips! Never had this problem before so not sure why its decided to start now
Go to your local farmacia, tell and show them the problem, they will give you what they think is the best for your problem.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:12 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

As Mike says, also it could be caused by a change in diet, too many dairy products perhaps ?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

During my first winter here, I had horrible excema type outbreaks on my skin. I tried the farmacy but they only offered me sensitive-skin creams such as Avene which did nothing to help.

Later I found in Yves Rocher a creme to reduce sensitivity and redness which helped, but what really did the trick was finding a Lush shop here - their Aqua Marina cleanser is fantastic - my skin cleared in a couple of weeks. I'd recommend it to anyone.

If there isn't a shop near you (they are definitely in Málaga and madrid) you can mail order from http://www.lush.es/

If you want to pay by credit card you have to order by phone, but if you order online you can choose cash on delivery.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:16 pm

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

You need a good emolient cream for moisture such as E45.........Moisturize 3- 4 times a day. keep out of the sun for a while too as if you wearing sun cream then this could irritate the skin more
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

hellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant futurehellokittty has a brilliant future

Great, thanks for the advice everyone. I don't eat any dairy products so I know it's not that (they already make my skin go bad so i've avoided them for a while)

I haven't changed my diet significantly, although I am wondering if it could be partly due to a Marmite overkill - apparently yeast can aggravate the condition?

Rachelk thanks for the Lush tip - I am a big fan of lush bath bombs and had heard that dream cream is good for eczema too, although I have not tried it. I will look into ordering some and hope the delivery doesn't take too long!

Any other tips gratefully received
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:35 pm
Paula Eddie and Family

Paula223 is on a distinguished road

Great, thanks for the advice everyone. I don't eat any dairy products so I know it's not that (they already make my skin go bad so i've avoided them for a while)

I haven't changed my diet significantly, although I am wondering if it could be partly due to a Marmite overkill - apparently yeast can aggravate the condition?

Rachelk thanks for the Lush tip - I am a big fan of lush bath bombs and had heard that dream cream is good for eczema too, although I have not tried it. I will look into ordering some and hope the delivery doesn't take too long!

Any other tips gratefully received
Hi my youngest daughter now 7 had really bad eczema we use imulsifying cream,huge tub like lard that did the trick ask ure doc,also no soap watso ever
Old Nov 1st 2007, 2:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

I've noticed that the different water has made my skin dryer and caused new problems too. When I avoid getting my face wet many problems clear up, more difficult if it is on your body though! We have a ton of chlorine in the water here. It smells like you are drinking a swimming pool, yuk!
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 3:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Issie
You need a good emolient cream for moisture such as E45.........Moisturize 3- 4 times a day. keep out of the sun for a while too as if you wearing sun cream then this could irritate the skin more
E45, as above, is fantastic if you can get hold of it - do you have anyone in the UK than can send you tubes of it?
Not being familiar with this bit of BE I don't know your story, but if the problem has just developed then think of any stress you are under - migrating is hell for eczema sufferers for example. If its on your face you then get more stressed thinking about how you look, but if you try and cover it make sure its hypo-allergenic make up. E45 do a suncream for sensitive skin too - thats another major trigger.
Any make-up you use can inflame it unless it hypo-allergenic and even then be very wary. If you have changed brands of anything lately that could have triggered it - not just make up but soap, washing powder - thats a major one, try and use hypo-allergenic liquid rather than powder. Beware of all the stuff like bubble bath, shower gel etc. If you can get something like an E45 medicated wash, use that instead of soap.
If this sounds like the voice of experience, its run my life for about 18 years now - not much on the face, but the rest of me. 4 years in Queensland but unable to wear shorts or tshirts cos my skin was too bad. I think its finally calming down, but not sure how long it'll stay controlled.
If I can be of any more help with suggestions, then ask away.
Good luck - hope its not too bad.
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Excellent, thank you so much for all your help and tips

As I said, I don't normally suffer from eczema so I've been desperately looking on the internet for information, but so much of it is conflicting - like, some people say to put Vaseline on it, but some people say you must never use Vaseline!

Seems to be clearing up slightly after my Marmite detox so perhaps it was the yeast after all! Well, I do get through Marmite at an alarming rate normally...!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Has anyone tried the different treatments/products of the Dead Sea (ie. Mud/ Salts)?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:02 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent, thank you so much for all your help and tips

As I said, I don't normally suffer from eczema so I've been desperately looking on the internet for information, but so much of it is conflicting - like, some people say to put Vaseline on it, but some people say you must never use Vaseline!

Seems to be clearing up slightly after my Marmite detox so perhaps it was the yeast after all! Well, I do get through Marmite at an alarming rate normally...!
The main problem is that eczema sufferers all have different "triggers" and what suits one won't suit us all. Very much trial and error. Vaseline doesn't suit me at all, yet I know it eases things for some people. Best thing I can suggest is that when you find something that suits you, stick to it whatever happens. Costs me a fortune in mail getting stuff flown to Aus, but I know what suits me and I'd rather stick to that than risk it getting worse.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:10 am
live free or die

welshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond reputewelshviking has a reputation beyond repute

I found out I had eczema last week, I get it on my stomach though, just started this year, and comes every few months, got some cream can't remember the name as I haven't had to use it yet

just like PA said, anything can trigger it, food, stress, washing up powder etc but also every 7 years your body changes apparently, i'm 28 this yr....got my own 7 yr itch!!!

Also, was told I have dermatitis on my face, which sucks, came out the day before the wedding, been there 4 months now, and have to take tabs for 6 weeks, i look really grotty

goodluck with yours
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:15 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I suffered really badly when I was a baby, aaah !, wartime dried egg powder my mum ate contributed to mine they reckon.
There are two types, one is incurable but treatable, the other is curable.
Apparently I had the incurable one, but its gone now ?
I always got it bad on my hands especially in the winter winds and had to use loads of different types of cream to relieve it.
Like already mentioned try them till you find something that suits you and stay with that.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:22 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by jdr
I suffered really badly when I was a baby, aaah !, wartime dried egg powder my mum ate contributed to mine they reckon.
There are two types, one is incurable but treatable, the other is curable.
Apparently I had the incurable one, but its gone now ?
I always got it bad on my hands especially in the winter winds and had to use loads of different types of cream to relieve it.
Like already mentioned try them till you find something that suits you and stay with that.
Mm, its incurable but it can go into a kind of remission. Trouble is, you never know when it'll flare up again, but the relief when it does vanish for a while is great, isn't it. The "curable" one is probably what is also known as contact dermatitus, the other is "pure" eczema, which although triggered often by food, beauty products etc is rooted in the immune system, its some sort of immune deficiency. .
Often caused by the same genetic problem that causes asthma - in families like mine we have a mixture of asthma sufferers and eczema sufferers on my mum's side. I had a weak chest as a kid, but during a very stressful period in my 20s it started to show through as eczema instead, and its never left. Apparently this genetic problem can also by linked to rheumatoid arthritis - which I had a very bad attack of at the same time.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 6th 2007 at 9:27 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.