Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Economy 7 Electricity (or Spanish equivalent)

Economy 7 Electricity (or Spanish equivalent)

Old Nov 8th 2012, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Economy 7 Electricity (or Spanish equivalent)

Apologies if I'm using the incorrect term, but am I right in thinking that Iberdrola provide 'Economy 7' or similar for running electric devices during the night on a lower tariff?
If so, what's it called here in Spain, and is it worth it? All I'd use it for would be to heat the water in an electric water heater during the night, switch it off for the rest of the day, then have it come back on again during the night. Also perhaps the washing machine. That's all really.
Presumably I would have to pay something to go on to this tariff, the question is, in my circumstances, would it be worth it and how much is it?
Any advice or experiences welcome.
Thanks.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economy 7 Electricity (or Spanish equivalent)

I think it's called "tarifa con discriminación horaria" - or "tarifa nocturna". But I don't know anyone who uses it.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I had a dual meter, cheaper night time with Endesa some years ago. However although the night time was cheaper the day time rate was higher than a single tariff account.
On one occasion I accidentally opened a neighbours bill and compared costs.
On a bill of approx €200 I had saved €0.50, had I been more energy conscious and saved power during that same period I would have lost money with the dual tarrtariff
Old Nov 8th 2012, 6:50 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

We have peak/off peak tariff and the cost is just over half as much per kilowatt for off-peak (23:00-12:00) than peak rates. We run the major appliances during off-peak hours (e.g., dishwasher, wash machine, boiler, water pumps, etc) , and have saved a bundle from our previous contract.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

I agree with Amideislas. If you manage your consumption it is possible to make significant savings. Although the standard tariff is lower than the premium rate under the dual tariff, the savings outweigh the cost. If you check the Iberdrola website its the day night tariff. However, if your power is less than 10kw you should opt for the Tariff of Last Resort, because the price is controlled by the government.

I've been on this tariff for nearly 3 years, and our consumption is approx 35% at the higher rate and 65% at the cheaper rate. The standard tariff per kwh is 14.5578c, and the day night is 17.8438c (between 12pm and 10pm) and 5.907c (between 10pm and 12pm). Based on my average use, thats an average price of 9.9655c, which is 45% cheaper. We use a lot of electric, so like Amideislas I have saved a significant amount.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:03 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CapnBilly
However, if your power is less than 10kw you should opt for the Tariff of Last Resort, because the price is controlled by the government.
If you are on less than 10kw then you are automatically on the TUR tariff - it's not an option. The TUR tariff is also available as the dual tariff.

We have been on the dual tariff for 12 years and the savings can be very significant so long as you manage when you use the power. Even if you don't it is difficult to see how you cannot save money. We save about €700 a year but we do use a load of power.
Old Nov 8th 2012, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you are on less than 10kw then you are automatically on the TUR tariff - it's not an option.
It is Fred, with Iberdrola you can switch to one of their advertised tariffs, but they're not as good as the TUR. I switched for a few months, because they were advertising a tariff as fixed, but in fact it's not quite what they advertise, so I switched back again. Someone on a local forum reported last week that Iberdrola called and asked them if they wanted to go onto a fixed rate.

The details of the TUR is also difficult to find on their website.
Old Nov 9th 2012, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

I am on the day and night tariff .

Its been great for us our old monthly bill was 100€ now we get a 2 monthly bill of about 120 to 150 €

We now use dish washer, washing machine, pool pump etc on the off peak time

winter 10pm to 12pm
summer 11pm to 1pm

Cheers Tony
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

list of tarifs
this takes you to iberdrola tarifs for up to 10 kw and above
Old Nov 10th 2012, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all who've taken the time and trouble to respond. Much appreciated.