Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Economic storm this weekend?

Economic storm this weekend?

Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Economic storm this weekend?

Will Spain decide to go for the big bailout ?

Will they decide to leave the Euro?

Will the falling value of the Euro save the Eurozone as their exports become more attractive to the rest of the world?

Or will the Eurozone collapse?

It's reminding me of that Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times"
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Economic storm this weekend?

It very well could. All Spain's pandering to Brussels and Germany has been to try and reduce the "prima de riesgo" i.e. how much more they have to pay to refinance debt than the Germans do

It hasnt worked - the markets are having none of it

So Spain will be trying to convince the EU than the ECB needs to buy Spanish debt cheaply (in effect QE, but with net flow from Germany to Spain)

If they dont get that, then their only other option is pulling out of the Euro

Euro has been losing value against GBP ober the past few days due to the uncertainty, now touching 1.29.

I'm worried, so much so that my savings have gradually moved out of Euros over the past year or so.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:14 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

If I was in charge of a newspaper I'd have a whole team shadowing Rajoy at the moment, to see what he's up to. And possibly post someone in a bar close to the Spanish mint to observe any abnormal activity... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mint_%28Spain%29
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:20 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Will Spain decide to go for the big bailout ?YES

Will they decide to leave the Euro? NO

Will the falling value of the Euro save the Eurozone as their exports become more attractive to the rest of the world? MAYBE.

Or will the Eurozone collapse? NO

It's reminding me of that Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times"
Pretty much covers everything I think....
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the falling value of the Euro will not please Mr Osborne Or Mr King, there is no way they want the £ strong. To me this is another problem with the set up, we are not in the Euro obviously they the EU will put their interests first an sod the UK. I am not complaining though but wish this could have happened last year. Obviously Spain will do what is in the best interest of Spain no one else. Only thing is with the devaluation or re setting of the Euro what happens when Germany starts overheating?
Old Jul 20th 2012, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Only thing is with the devaluation or re setting of the Euro what happens when Germany starts overheating?
Actually, that would solve all the problems

It means they could get the printing presses in motion and start printing serious quantities of Euros

Would mean serious Euro devaluation of course
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:09 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Actually, that would solve all the problems

It means they could get the printing presses in motion and start printing serious quantities of Euros

Would mean serious Euro devaluation of course
Hopefully. Increasing competitiveness with the rest of the world would be refreshing.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Economic storm this weekend?

Originally Posted by bobd22
I think the falling value of the Euro will not please Mr Osborne Or Mr King, there is no way they want the £ strong. To me this is another problem with the set up, we are not in the Euro obviously they the EU will put their interests first an sod the UK. I am not complaining though but wish this could have happened last year. Obviously Spain will do what is in the best interest of Spain no one else. Only thing is with the devaluation or re setting of the Euro what happens when Germany starts overheating?
About a month ago I read a very erudite paper written by an eminent American Economist who said his view was that Spain would leave the Euro of her own accord and backed it up with facts about the differences between Spain and the other pigs. Spain has industry, exports and a large South American market to sell to so it could well happen.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
About a month ago I read a very erudite paper written by an eminent American Economist who said his view was that Spain would leave the Euro of her own accord and backed it up with facts about the differences between Spain and the other pigs. Spain has industry, exports and a large South American market to sell to so it could well happen.
I read if not that article a similar one putting the same view. However I think Spain and the other struggling Countries are too tied to getting money from the Germans (no one else seems to be giving them much). I think the fear of the initial collapse after leaving the Euro outweighs at this time the possible benefits. This off course may change or the German public could just get sick of propping up the EU. As Cricketman says though opening up the printing presses? although not done a great deal for the UK so far!
Old Jul 21st 2012, 4:33 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Makes sense to me - so long as Spanish products aren't so expensive that nobody can afford them (e.g., overinflated Euro).
Old Jul 21st 2012, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

britishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond reputebritishbull has a reputation beyond repute

Will Spain need to leave the Euro if it keeps falling, already at £1.25-1.30 to the Euro prices are attractive again for British tourists (other than some bars where they try to charge you double!) and it must be making Spanish agro products attractive. The government cuts have also been huge without causing mass riots and the country is generally very attractive with good infrastructure (you can at least see where some of the billions have been invested) compared to say the UK. Really what they need to do is swap all their high priced debt for German backed Euro bonds at ultra low interest rates... think they will stay in the Euro anyway.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Like many, our town has just had a local fiesta spanning two days (not Moors & Christians). Fireworks, loud rock music to 5am etc: etc. It must have cost thousands of Euros.
OK, it's their culture and I accept that, but what I find difficult to accept is that all this is being done when the nation has no money, its banks are bust, the health & education services are starved of funds and unemployment is the worst in Europe. The Spanish government has been bailed out and now Valencia has become the first (of many) regions to seek a bail-out from the government (for that read from the Germans!)
It's all being done on borrowed money.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:32 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Like many, our town has just had a local fiesta spanning two days (not Moors & Christians). Fireworks, loud rock music to 5am etc: etc. It must have cost thousands of Euros.
OK, it's their culture and I accept that, but what I find difficult to accept is that all this is being done when the nation has no money, its banks are bust, the health & education services are starved of funds and unemployment is the worst in Europe. The Spanish government has been bailed out and now Valencia has become the first (of many) regions to seek a bail-out from the government (for that read from the Germans!)

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...86J0EG20120720

Valencia in big trouble.

Bond rate at record 7.29
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:47 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's tempting to say that deeply indebted countries in the Eurozone can simply leave, revert to their old currency and start all over again. But it's not as simple as that.

The debt cycle means that all countries continually borrow from others simply to pay their people. If that borrowing facility is withdrawn, then at first, nobody gets paid. A country like Spain can almost be self-sufficient (feed itself), but to divert the export bound fish and vegetable containers to the home market will take time.

All eyes will be on Greece when it leaves.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Bread and circuses. It's a time honoured way (been going on since the days of the Roman Empire) to keep the masses happy and divert their attention from serious problems. Theory is it reduces the risk of revolution, and even today in most countries people are stupid enough to fall for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.