Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

E106/E109 - Working offshore in North Sea but will stay in Spain

E106/E109 - Working offshore in North Sea but will stay in Spain

Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough
Default E106/E109 - Working offshore in North Sea but will stay in Spain

Hi There

I know that there are loads of threads on E106/E109 and i have been trawling through them - but havent found any help with this one as yet.

Myself, husband and kids move out to Spain in 3 weeks. My husband will continue to work offshore in the north sea and travel to spain every 2 weeks.

Whilst talking to the DWP today they seem happy enough for me to apply for an E106 - however due to my husband working in the UK for 2 weeks of the month they are considering that the rig he works on in the North Sea - could be classed as his "UK Residence" - and are still debating how we go about it.

Anyone had any experience? - Just wondering if should get private insurance ?

Thanks in Advance

Katya
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:42 am
stevetheradio

stevetheradio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E106/E109 - Working offshore in North Sea but will stay in Spain

Katya,

It's a bit of a minefield and it seems to depend whether he's on a floater or a jack up. Platforms unfortunately being fixed installations are ruled out of the equation.
Floaters because they are self propelled should be exempt, and Jack up's because they float when on tow MAY be classed as vessels and therefore come under the Shipping act and your Hubby would be classed as a Merchant Mariner...But it's a tricky one and the Taxman doesn't seem willing to give us a break!

I've not long been out of the NS myself and whilst I was working there I was subject to tax(PAYE) even though I live full time in Spain!
I was able to claw a lump of it back though eventually.

My advice is either get your man to work out of the UKCS , West of Ireland is booming I believe, or pick up work outside the EU.

In addition he would do well to speak to Jake Molloy of the OILC union.
I have his details. If you want them or any more info then just PM
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:22 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Where have you been hiding yourself ? ;-)
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:29 am
stevetheradio

Hello my Friend,

Keeping busy earning a crust over in sunny Borneo...

I trust that it's still going well with with you.
Havent been home for 4 months now, getting a little fed up of fried rice and NO beer!!!

Take it easy JDR.....
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevetheradio
Hello my Friend,

Havent been home for 4 months now, getting a little fed up of fried rice and NO beer!!!

Take it easy JDR.....
Crikey, you get about a bit. ;-))
No beer sounds bad though, make your own wine out the rice then. lol
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the info

Kat x
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: E106/E109 - Working offshore in North Sea but will stay in Spain

Originally Posted by stevetheradio
Hello my Friend,

Take it easy JDR.....
Is higher monty Ayamonte?
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:22 am
stevetheradio

Hello ....

It certainly is.!
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Ellan_Vannin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Katya
Hi There

I know that there are loads of threads on E106/E109 and i have been trawling through them - but havent found any help with this one as yet.

Myself, husband and kids move out to Spain in 3 weeks. My husband will continue to work offshore in the north sea and travel to spain every 2 weeks.

Whilst talking to the DWP today they seem happy enough for me to apply for an E106 - however due to my husband working in the UK for 2 weeks of the month they are considering that the rig he works on in the North Sea - could be classed as his "UK Residence" - and are still debating how we go about it.

Anyone had any experience? - Just wondering if should get private insurance ?

Thanks in Advance

Katya
Hi Katya,

I have investigated this quite thoroughly as as you know i am in a similar situation.:

1. It would be HMRC and not DWP that would issue your husband's E106 as he would still be paying Class 1 Nationanl Insuranance contributions (only DWP if you have ceased paying UK NICS). You should also be able to get an E106 for youself and children being his dependants. The E106 is usually valid for 2 - 5 years and depends on your previous NICS but if your husband continues to work in UK sector would just have to re-apply to get issued again.

2. UK residence - according to HMRC web site if you are outside the 12 mile limit you are not resident in UK however if you work on the UKCS you are still liable for UK tax and national insurance.

3. A holder of an E106 should be entitled to the same medical benefits as a local resident. Incidentally I have had it confirmed from the Dept of Health and the Scottish Government that a holder of UK issued E106 would also be elligible for planned treatment on the NHS and also workers on the UKCS and their dependants are exempt of NHS charges. Having said that no harm in also having insurance.

4. Always best to get professional advice and not to rely on forums as everyones situation is different.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info.

We are opting for Private Cover - WE are covered here in the UK with BUPA and thought we shall continue with cover.

However, Sanitas (Bupa company) - was going to cost us £290 Per Month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have since had a quote from someone in Spain - and the cost is 103 Euro per month - HUGE Difference

Kat x