Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dvds in Spain??

Dvds in Spain??

Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

thestens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dvds in Spain??

If I buy a DvD player and TV in Spain will i be able to play my British DVDs on it?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dvds in Spain??

Yes
Old Mar 12th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thestens
If I buy a DvD player and TV in Spain will i be able to play my British DVDs on it?
In theory yes but only to add that it may depend on the region thing, not sure if that still applies and also if you have recorded DVD's yourself they may not especially if they have not been finalised.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

thestens is an unknown quantity at this point

Region thing? Have not really explored DVDs yet so this just a query to see how you go about this thing.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Region thing? Have not really explored DVDs yet so this just a query to see how you go about this thing.
I'm not 100% sure but I think this was more of an issue in the past and UK and europe are all region 2 now.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Admittedly we moved over 9 years ago so things may have changed but the year before we moved from the UK we went to buy a DVD player. One of the main questions was would it work in Spain and would any DVD's bought in Spain work on the player. After visiting many shops who couldn't help we ended up in a small independent shop where they were able to tell us that the UK, rest of Europe and (surprising to us) Japan were all region 2 so there would be no problem. America is region 1 so you could have problems with American DVD's. We now have a Spanish DVD player/recorder which plays all our English DVD's and any we buy in Spain (we always check that they have English as a language as my husband doesn't speak Spanish).
Old Mar 12th 2010, 3:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Most DVD players you can recode to make them region free, if you have different region films.
Just google the name and region free code.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:23 pm
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

Hi watch out when buying dvd's , always look at the back. I got some in gibraltar few yrs back, had take them back wrong region they where 1, instead you need 2. They where happy to change it .

Last edited by w1ldcat; Mar 12th 2010 at 9:02 pm. Reason: being dizzy
Old Mar 12th 2010, 8:29 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w1ldcat
wrong region 2 instead of 1.
Why would you want region 1? They won't play on a European DVD player which are all region 2.

Are you sure it wasn't the other way round?
Old Mar 13th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Join your public library you can borrow two dvds at a time and can keep them for a week. My library has four thick folders constantly being added to. I normally write down a dozen I would like to see and they give the first two available at that time and I cross them of my list and keep going until I have to draw up a new list You can watch all of them in English, Spanish and original language with or without subtitles.
Old Mar 13th 2010, 6:56 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Or alternatively........download everything you want for free, put them on a multimedia drive and enjoy
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:28 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Or alternatively........download everything you want for free, put them on a multimedia drive and enjoy
while it's still legal

A couple of months ago it was all over the news that 'they' were going to rush through a new law making it illegal.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:07 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
while it's still legal

A couple of months ago it was all over the news that 'they' were going to rush through a new law making it illegal.
That all came to light when a Spaniard was in court after downloading 1000's of DVD from the net. The judge rules that as they were for personal use and he was not profiteering from doing this, then it was OK. However, if he sold or got a gift from anyone for a DVD he had downloaded then he would be fined and / or jailed.

It has also been reported that Spain is one of the top "net downloaders" of moves and TV programmes inthe world, and so pressure from TV and FIlm comapaies on the gvmt and net providers to do more is growing.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

If you download your own DVDs then ensure that the DVD player you buy will play DiVX, not all will, and many of the DVD burning programmes use this format. Just check the box carefully. We are now back in the UK, and still use the DVD player we bought in Spain, a cheap Phillips from Carrefour.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:16 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
That all came to light when a Spaniard was in court after downloading 1000's of DVD from the net. The judge rules that as they were for personal use and he was not profiteering from doing this, then it was OK. However, if he sold or got a gift from anyone for a DVD he had downloaded then he would be fined and / or jailed.

It has also been reported that Spain is one of the top "net downloaders" of moves and TV programmes inthe world, and so pressure from TV and FIlm comapaies on the gvmt and net providers to do more is growing.
yes, I remember.

They haven't changed it yet though, although it was supposed to be rushed through.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.