Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Dual British/Spanish nationality?

Dual British/Spanish nationality?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dual British/Spanish nationality?

I have just posted an enquiry about passports for my son and started thinking... my South American husband has been granted Spanish nationality, our son currently has a British passport only (he was born in Spain), could he be granted Spanish nationality through my husband? And would this be a problem for him in any way? The Spanish passport is so much cheaper... that would be a major advantage, and he could get a Spanish ID card, I often wonder whether it is to his advantage, I'm not against them in principle, have got used to the whole thing now, and it might make life a bit easier for him than always dragging out the bit of paper and his British passport for any procedures. Any (informed) ideas please!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual British/Spanish nationality?

Could he? Talk to the Spanish authorities or a Spanish lawyer. Normally if a parent becomes a citizen, an application can also be made for the child.

Should he? Read the article below,
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Acquir...te_Citizenship

Shouldn't your son also be a citizen of the same South American nation, even if he doesn't have the passport?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

Mmm, food for thought! I have often wondered about the whole "EU breaking down" aspect of things! My son has an interesting situation: born of a British mother and Colombian father in Spain, with British nationality. We don't want him to have the Col. nationality because of the possible national service implications in the future (now wouldn't be a problem but whoever knows what is going to happen later on, rather not think about it...). I think we will keep him as a "Brit" for now, and he can decide when he is all grown-up and I don't have to make the decisions for him! Thanks (but I would be interested in hearing any further opinions or experiences to help make this decision in the future).
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dual British/Spanish nationality?

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
Mmm, food for thought! I have often wondered about the whole "EU breaking down" aspect of things! My son has an interesting situation: born of a British mother and Colombian father in Spain, with British nationality. We don't want him to have the Col. nationality because of the possible national service implications in the future (now wouldn't be a problem but whoever knows what is going to happen later on, rather not think about it...). I think we will keep him as a "Brit" for now, and he can decide when he is all grown-up and I don't have to make the decisions for him! Thanks (but I would be interested in hearing any further opinions or experiences to help make this decision in the future).
There is no provision in UK Law for him to loose his British Citizenship. He can take whatever other citizenship he is able to but he will always be British and providing he does want a passport can always get one.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Mmm, food for thought! I have often wondered about the whole "EU breaking down" aspect of things! My son has an interesting situation: born of a British mother and Colombian father in Spain, with British nationality. We don't want him to have the Col. nationality because of the possible national service implications in the future (now wouldn't be a problem but whoever knows what is going to happen later on, rather not think about it...). I think we will keep him as a "Brit" for now, and he can decide when he is all grown-up and I don't have to make the decisions for him!
The problem is that when he is grown up, the option (to become a Spanish citizen) may not be there for him. If he is going to grow up in Spain and identify as Spanish, is there a reason you would not want him to be a Spanish citizen?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish passport is so much cheaper... that would be a major advantage,
If you want him to be Spanish, that's fine, but personally I wouldn't be making my decision based on how cheap the passport was. As for the possibility of reintroducing the mili, who's to say National Service won't come back in the future! Not an easy decision, if it's possible, as you say, it might be better for him to make the decision when older. It's tricky, he might not agree later in life with whatever decision you make for him, even though you'd have his best interest at heart. Rather you than me!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

I made the cheaper passport comment flippantly actually, although when faced with some 160 euros compared to around 20 for an adult passport, it's food for thought! It is a difficult decision, but I think we'll leave things as they are for now. This is the problem with mixed nationality children, even more so where we now have three nationalities in the mix! Perhaps he will never really feel "Spanish" because none of his family are Spanish (as such), but will feel like Spain is his country. Hey, what do I know?! Anyone had a similar experience (parents from two different nationalities living in a third culture/country)? I'd like to hear what adults who have grown up like this think.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I made the cheaper passport comment flippantly actually, although when faced with some 160 euros compared to around 20 for an adult passport, it's food for thought! It is a difficult decision, but I think we'll leave things as they are for now. This is the problem with mixed nationality children, even more so where we now have three nationalities in the mix! Perhaps he will never really feel "Spanish" because none of his family are Spanish (as such), but will feel like Spain is his country. Hey, what do I know?! Anyone had a similar experience (parents from two different nationalities living in a third culture/country)? I'd like to hear what adults who have grown up like this think.
Slightly different but friends of ours, both Brits, moved to Spain when their son finished primary school in UK, and he has been to international school ever since. They were concerned about him adapting to the Spanish way of life etc, but he is absolutely and totally immersed in Spanish life, spending all his free time with Spanish friends, plays in the town band, weekends away with local friends etc. And even though his parents now seem to want him to go to UK university, he's adamant, it's going to be a Spanish one. He sees himself as "spanish" (albeit without a passport) and sees his future there.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our son was born here, has a mixture of friends at his tender age, will go to Spanish school, will be bilingual, has family in two other countries that he will remain close to as far as is possible. It's fascinating! He has already started to ask what is "England", "English", etc, he is starting to get a feel for different nationalities and different countries. Sometimes a bit confusing of course, but he will truly be a child of the world, not a bad thing during these difficult times. I have found this definition of third culture kids if anyone is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_culture_kid
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just found something else you might find interesting, funny to think we are existential migrants! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_migration
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The problem is that when he is grown up, the option (to become a Spanish citizen) may not be there for him. If he is going to grow up in Spain and identify as Spanish, is there a reason you would not want him to be a Spanish citizen?
I cant think of one good reason to become a Spanish citizen as oppssed to British
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you are born here, live here and will probably stay here, then there is an advantage to DUAL nationality. The problem is that Spain does not accept this form of dual nationality, unlike many other EU countries which do. The UK has no problem with it, but officially speaking, Spain does. Spain only accepts dual nationality when the countries are Ibero-American, Philippines, etc. It would be advantageous in practical terms for to my son to have both. As for what goes on in his head re his nationhood, that's another matter!
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:31 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

On the face of it, a child with a three-country background should be in an advantaged position on this globalised world of ours, and until ten years ago it seemed that such globalisation would go on and on. It seems to have halted a bit over the past decade, for various reasons with some form of nationalism coming back to the fore.

If the world goes back to more nationalism rather than striving for a global melting pot, then people with more than one country in their genes may be disadvantaged – depending on the country they are living in.

I would stick my neck out and suggest that such a child would be better off in Spain, which appears more tolerant than countries like the UK or Germany, which appear to be going backwards in their approach to foreign nationals in their countries.

And it’s a lot easier in life, though far less exciting, to be able to say, ‘This is my country, I was born here and so were my Mum and Dad.’

I can’t say that. (But I’m in good company, neither can President Obama). (Nor David Cameron).
Old Mar 8th 2011, 3:51 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

If you have dual nationality you don't have to choose. It is ok. to have 2 passports.

It is impossible to predict which way a child will choose. I have friends, she is spanish and Husband British. Both of their children went to UK universities. Despite spending long holidays with spanish relatives and having a spanish Mother the son has always refused to speak any spanish except when he had to. The Daughter has gone on to be a Teacher of spanish after having spent 2 years at a Spanish university. Another friend's Daughter was born in Spain to British parents, always attended spanish schools. She went to stay with her Grandmother in the UK at 17 years and never returned to Spain except to see her parents.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dual British/Spanish nationality?

Originally Posted by Rotor
I cant think of one good reason to become a Spanish citizen as oppssed to British
The suggestion is not one or the other but both I think that is an ideal solution.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.