Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving from UK to Spain via Calais

Driving from UK to Spain via Calais

Old Aug 25th 2020, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving from UK to Spain via Calais

Originally Posted by quixote
Hi All
..........................- I've seen some people talking about a stamp on the Spanish border to prove date of entry to Spain. Is this even possible? Where would you go to get that done?

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about any stamps. I assume that you're apply for residency this trip, if this is the case then your 3 months bank statements will show when you're financialy active in Spain.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I took the scenic route via Andorra once. Great place to visit and overnight.
Likewise but also took in the Millau Viaduct and the Carmargue
Old Sep 1st 2020, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

quixote is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All -- thanks for all the tips. A quick update:

- we stayed in Chartres and Burgos, I think that worked quite well because the initial short drive enabled us to get over the packing and the early start.
- Burgos is beautiful and we stayed at the NH Palacio Burgos, which was a gorgeous hotel
- We followed some advice here to avoid Madrid and went further west following the Via de la Plata past Valladolid and Salamanca, Badajoz and Seville. Our friends here say Madrid would have been fine in terms of traffic, but it was an interesting and peaceful drive, except that there was an accident at Valladolid.
- I just managed to see the police building when crossing the border but it was late and they said they wouldn't stamp anything, and to ask the police when we arrived in Seville -- we called them and they also said it's unnecessary and they wouldn't do it.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

bolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond reputebolton wanderer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All -- thanks for all the tips. A quick update:
.....................................- I just managed to see the police building when crossing the border but it was late and they said they wouldn't stamp anything, and to ask the police when we arrived in Seville -- we called them and they also said it's unnecessary and they wouldn't do it.
They are correct, free movement was one of the advantages of being in the EU.

Proof that you are now residing in Spain will be evident from your bank statements If/when you apply for residency. I'm not sure what the requirements are in Seville but in Alicante they require 3 months certified Spanish bank statements for a residency application. However, forum members have said that that in Malaga will accept UK bank statements. Seville may be different again.

Good luck.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

quixote is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bolton wanderer
They are correct, free movement was one of the advantages of being in the EU.

Proof that you are now residing in Spain will be evident from your bank statements If/when you apply for residency. I'm not sure what the requirements are in Seville but in Alicante they require 3 months certified Spanish bank statements for a residency application. However, forum members have said that that in Malaga will accept UK bank statements. Seville may be different again.

Good luck.
Indeed -- but according to posts here (I think) some offices have asked for a stamp and I think I remember reading that someone managed to get one from somewhere.

I'm hoping that they won't insist on 3 months' local bank statements, we have begun the process now, but assuming we get it opened next week that will put the earliest date of application for residency well into December, which is cutting things a bit fine! But we should be able to get onto the padrón well before then so hopefully that will do the trick.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Indeed -- but according to posts here (I think) some offices have asked for a stamp and I think I remember reading that someone managed to get one from somewhere.

I'm hoping that they won't insist on 3 months' local bank statements, we have begun the process now, but assuming we get it opened next week that will put the earliest date of application for residency well into December, which is cutting things a bit fine! But we should be able to get onto the padrón well before then so hopefully that will do the trick.
We're in the same boat. Our latest visit was in the middle of August and we opened an expensive branch based non-res account for our residency application. The annoying part is that we recently closed our old expensive non-res account in favour of a free online Spanish account for all our bills..... and then found that this account is not acceptable for residency! We are now waiting until the middle of November when we can start our application.

Good luck, I hope things work out OK........Let us know how you get on, it may help others moving to Seville

Last edited by bolton wanderer; Sep 1st 2020 at 5:27 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2020, 11:36 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Contact your nearest town hall and ask.