Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving through France to UK

Driving through France to UK

Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving through France to UK

Depends how rushed one is ; the Paris peripherique is bad ;
but otherwise I find much of France quite refreshing , in many a way , so long as you don't have to do more than 500, max.600 km a day ; much depends on the season , the comfort of your car and your various preferences ;
me , I love to drop by at a shopping complex , eat at a self-service Flunch ( UK will Never come to those levels of gastronomy on the cheapo ) , even a coffee at a petrol station , maybe a few words with some unknown native ...all part of the greater experience , IMHO .
There are bad parts , like the black zone around Lyon - but , generally , the travel can be very nice , the cheap , neat accessible hotels are something UK can never match , the country is well-geared to car travel and is more customer-friendly than before .
For my money , if I had the time , I'd go Calais , then either ferry ( Seafrance ) or Le Shuttle to England .

Last edited by Ray51; Jul 28th 2011 at 7:04 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

adra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really niceadra04778 is just really nice

Brittany ferries charge the same price whether you book a day before or 6 months before, I have never seen offers only for when you are doing the return trip, as a weekend holiday.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

mariajose is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks, that is useful. We are still unsure of what to do so likely wait till a bit nearer the time and i want to research more things like accommodation and eating out through France versus the ferry.