Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving through France to UK

Driving through France to UK

Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Driving through France to UK

If you are doing the motorway route you enter the Paris outer ring road from the South on the A10 and pop out in the North on the A16. It's dual or triple lane highway all the way and if you do it at the right time you'll rarely have to drop below the 90 or 110 speed limits, brill

I'd venture to say that far more time has been wasted and tempers lost in attempts to bypass Paris then ever would have been by going through it
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
If you are doing the motorway route you enter the Paris outer ring road from the South on the A10 and pop out in the North on the A16. It's dual or triple lane highway all the way and if you do it at the right time you'll rarely have to drop below the 90 or 110 speed limits, brill

I'd venture to say that far more time has been wasted and tempers lost in attempts to bypass Paris then ever would have been by going through it
Any idea what the junction numbers are ?
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought, I've never had a problem and nothing like the problems on UK motorways.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 8:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorou...%C3%A7aise_A86

shows that the outer ring-road around Paris is the A86 and there's no question of passing THROUGH Paris to go northwards.
The OP is intending to travel in December, so they probably wouldn't be able to drive fast.
I suspect they'll be taking the ferry from Spain...
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

tuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nicetuk-tuk is just really nice

I would'nt consider going anywhere without my Tom-tom.
tuk-tuk.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tuk-tuk
I would'nt consider going anywhere without my Tom-tom.
tuk-tuk.
tuk tuks tom tom, sounds like a jungle beat
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:09 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

have I missed something here ?
what is it that is so good about Paris that is drawing everyone like a magnet?

as posted earlier (#5) , I managed to come down from Calais, based on the Western Route, without going near the place.
unless travelling down to Barcelona et al then, from what I can see, there is no need to go near Paris.

I am sure some of you guys (and gals) will tell me Madrid is a fiasco - but at 11.00 on a Thursday I found it a doddle, missed a turnoff on the southern ring but soon got back on course.

rgds
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
have I missed something here ?
what is it that is so good about Paris that is drawing everyone like a magnet?

as posted earlier (#5) , I managed to come down from Calais, based on the Western Route, without going near the place.
unless travelling down to Barcelona et al then, from what I can see, there is no need to go near Paris.

I am sure some of you guys (and gals) will tell me Madrid is a fiasco - but at 11.00 on a Thursday I found it a doddle, missed a turnoff on the southern ring but soon got back on course.

rgds
One of the main routes is through Paris via the periferique. It can be horrendous. Last time I did it I was stuck in traffic for 3 hours
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

It really has become so very much worse , in the last 10...6-5 years ;
and one wonders : why ?
Used to love driving into Paris but nowadays : who could be bothered with all that traffic and hassle ?
TGV is the only last resource remaining , i.e. : if you don't require to transport much stuff .
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:47 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray51
It really has become so very much worse , in the last 10...6-5 years ;
and one wonders : why ?
Used to love driving into Paris but nowadays : who could be bothered with all that traffic and hassle ?
TGV is the only last resource remaining , i.e. : if you don't require to transport much stuff .
did that to Disney and found it quite good
have done short trip on the Spanish AVE

UK really needs to have a think about how much longer they are going to cram people into sardine cans that are old and dirty
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
One of the main routes is through Paris via the periferique. It can be horrendous. Last time I did it I was stuck in traffic for 3 hours
Hi, there's no need to go as far in as the Périphérique (which is ALWAYS horrendous), the A86 outer ring-road is sufficient.
And if and when the outermost Francilienne is a complete circle, then it'll be a real doddle...
Old Jul 19th 2011, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, there's no need to go as far in as the Périphérique (which is ALWAYS horrendous), the A86 outer ring-road is sufficient.
And if and when the outermost Francilienne is a complete circle, then it'll be a real doddle...
Exactly, I'm getting very confused here, I have never driven through Paris on my way to or from anywhere via Calais.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

mariajose is an unknown quantity at this point

I have looked at ferries now, Brittany do the one for us, Santander to Portsmouth. Does anyone know if they have sales on or offers at any time? Are they like airlines and prices go up the nearer it gets? Any advice appreciated. At £534 return this is looking a viable option, similar cost with driving and no stress!!
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mariajose
I have looked at ferries now, Brittany do the one for us, Santander to Portsmouth. Does anyone know if they have sales on or offers at any time? Are they like airlines and prices go up the nearer it gets? Any advice appreciated. At £534 return this is looking a viable option, similar cost with driving and no stress!!
Ive never managed to get a deal on one of the Northern Spain ferries unfortunately. I get a small discount by being the friend of a holiday club member, and thats about it.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:35 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Exactly, I'm getting very confused here, I have never driven through Paris on my way to or from anywhere via Calais.
Neither have I since then. It was a route originally bought up by viamichelin, well before I graduated to a tom tom! I dont bother going via France at all now if I can help it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.