Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

Old Nov 27th 2006, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

I was talking to steve Harris (the sky man) today, he was stopped in his van at the weekend, for driving a spanish vehicle using a british licence he was told that was illegal and was fined 300 euros,
he said what he now needs to do is go to traffico in Cadiz and get his british licence registered and stamped.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:27 pm
Just Joined

northsammi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

Originally Posted by Andy Pipken
I was talking to steve Harris (the sky man) today, he was stopped in his van at the weekend, for driving a spanish vehicle using a british licence he was told that was illegal and was fined 300 euros,
he said what he now needs to do is go to traffico in Cadiz and get his british licence registered and stamped.
if he has UK EU driving licence they will etch his NIF number on it if he has old green licence he will have to pay €17,50, fill form and (in time) they will issue Spanish EU driving licence.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:46 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northsammi
if he has UK EU driving licence they will etch his NIF number on it if he has old green licence he will have to pay €17,50, fill form and (in time) they will issue Spanish EU driving licence.
Anyone know if they are still issuing those crappy paper licences in Spain, or if they have switched over to plastic yet?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northsammi
I think it depends on which licence he has, if he has the Photocard (Pink UK licence) that should be OK Provided you do not have residencia in Spain (Go to UKGovabuse site and read articles on driving in Spain), I was stopped for speeding last week, I showed my UK photocard licence no probs However I did use my Passport as ID rather than my residencia card, I was still fined 266 Eu's though for speeding. I can see the logic in this because if you own a property in Spain and also a spanish car, and you only come here for less than 183 days per year you dont need residency and hence no need for a Spanish licence,so therefore you are driving as a non resident under the UK issued EU licence!!!!
I took my Photocard licence to the trafico about six months ago and asked them to register it and was told I didnt need to!!

So I thought I knew what the rules are, but I'm not sure all sections of the authorities in Spain are agreed on it!! so its probably best to get a Spanish licence and forget about EU conformity for the moment!!!

See Here,
http://www.ukgovabusesexpats.co.uk/W...egulations.htm

Last edited by Solarwhizz; Nov 27th 2006 at 8:59 pm. Reason: .
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:07 pm

RENE21 has a brilliant futureRENE21 has a brilliant futureRENE21 has a brilliant futureRENE21 has a brilliant futureRENE21 has a brilliant futureRENE21 has a brilliant futureRENE21 has a brilliant future

Do you think it had anything to do with the fact that he has the van sign written in english?Bit silly to advertise the fact if you haven't sorted out your licence after being in spain for so long!!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
.... its probably best to get a Spanish licence and forget about EU conformity for the moment!!!...
Good advice. By the way the Spanish driving licence now takes the form of a small plastic photocard.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough

If you have a photo ID licence with an EU logo in the top right (or left ??) then you DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE TO ANY OTHER TYPE OF LICENCE. New legislation which was approved in January of this year says that any EU licence is valid in any EU country irrespective of the place of issue.

I have a photo ID and tried to change it in Càdiz early this year and they flatly refused, citing this new legislation as evidence it was not required.

If Steve has been issued a 300€ fine and has the above type of licence he can contest it and should be able to get the fine revoked. The cops don't like it as they have no way of issuing points, which is why they give out hefty fines, but the document can be downloaded from the internet and as I do, have a copy in your vehicle just in case.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:01 am
Sun, Sea & Sangria.

BritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud ofBritBull has much to be proud of

I have the old pink paper licence.
When stopped they are quite happy so long as I also have my passport & NIE number.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
If you have a photo ID licence with an EU logo in the top right (or left ??) then you DO NOT NEED TO CHANGE TO ANY OTHER TYPE OF LICENCE. New legislation which was approved in January of this year says that any EU licence is valid in any EU country irrespective of the place of issue.

I have a photo ID and tried to change it in Càdiz early this year and they flatly refused, citing this new legislation as evidence it was not required.

If Steve has been issued a 300€ fine and has the above type of licence he can contest it and should be able to get the fine revoked. The cops don't like it as they have no way of issuing points, which is why they give out hefty fines, but the document can be downloaded from the internet and as I do, have a copy in your vehicle just in case.
Can you publish link for the document for download
Old Nov 28th 2006, 2:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Driving Spanish Vehicle With English Licence

Originally Posted by cdlcaretaking
I have a photo ID and tried to change it in Càdiz early this year and they flatly refused, citing this new legislation as evidence it was not required..
It may not be required any longer but the law clearly states that you have the option to change it if you wish.

They refused because they either don't know the law or are too lazy to do it for you. Trafico offices have the worst reputation in Spain for "customer care" so if you want to change your licence you may find that it would be better to get a gestor to handle it for you.

Personally, I think it is much easier to have a Spanish licence just to avoid confrontations with the Guardia late at night! They do have a habit of making up the rules as they go along and with the new points system they really don't like the idea of not being able to apply it to a foreign licence holder. It's under circumstances like this that your rear lights suddenly don't seem to work any more
Old Nov 28th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

If you are going to argue with the police or guardia over the validity of your UK licence you had better be 100% certain that the rest of your paperwork is in perfect order and that your vehicle will stand up to a very rigorous construction and use check.

As Fred says, or intimates, (and I know from experience but I'm not saying on which side) a quick tap on an obstreperous motorist's tail light with a baton will do very nicely, thank you, and waving a printout of a fax downloaded from the internet under their noses will do you absolutely no good whatsoever.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
If you are going to argue with the police or guardia over the validity of your UK licence you had better be 100% certain that the rest of your paperwork is in perfect order and that your vehicle will stand up to a very rigorous construction and use check.

As Fred says, or intimates, (and I know from experience but I'm not saying on which side) a quick tap on an obstreperous motorist's tail light with a baton will do very nicely, thank you, and waving a printout of a fax downloaded from the internet under their noses will do you absolutely no good whatsoever.
Interesting, however I have had two brushes with the Guardia over the last 4 years, and on both occasions they were efficient polite and helpful.

1st time was a paperwork check routine, Salute and all, no problems and the last time was me fine last week, again polite, helpful, and the only question I was asked was why there was a sign on my van, I explained it was not my van but my friends and i was on holiday. paid my money and left.

I suspect that Fred is right in that they just couldnt be bothered to dig any deeper, they had made their cash quota or numbers caught and that was it.

I am still gonna get a Spanish licence though, as i think that is the easiest and safest solution.!!
Old Nov 29th 2006, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

northsammi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz
Interesting, however I have had two brushes with the Guardia over the last 4 years, and on both occasions they were efficient polite and helpful.

1st time was a paperwork check routine, Salute and all, no problems and the last time was me fine last week, again polite, helpful, and the only question I was asked was why there was a sign on my van, I explained it was not my van but my friends and i was on holiday. paid my money and left.

I suspect that Fred is right in that they just couldnt be bothered to dig any deeper, they had made their cash quota or numbers caught and that was it.

I am still gonna get a Spanish licence though, as i think that is the easiest and safest solution.!!
If you are getting your Spanish licence in Cadiz go up the stairs in traffico. The girl (or her boss) that sits opposite the doors knows the procedure and will start things moving to get your Spanish EU licence. Good luck.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 7:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Been stopped here once already (in 2 months) and paperwork thankfully spot on.

I have read that if you own and drive a Spanish registered vehicle you must have one of the following additional docs otherwise you can be fined EUR 300

1. An International driving permit in addition to you home licence

2. An official translation of your driving licence

3. Or a certificado de Equivalencia (which is prepared by RACE)

Appaprntly the Spanish police want someone who is regularly using their roads to have a licence that they can read.
Old Nov 29th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

They also want to be sure that you comply with the rules regarding renewal of driving licences and medical requirements over the age of 50 which as a resident you are required to conform to whether you change your licence or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.