Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving to spain with my dog, aaaargh

driving to spain with my dog, aaaargh

Old Jul 5th 2009, 6:08 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default driving to spain with my dog, aaaargh

I would love to go out to my place in spain and take my dog with me so i can stay a bit longer there rather than just go for a week whilst my dog is in kennels. now, I (a women) lol.... would love to drive down with doggie but my brother says "oh, its toooo far for you to travel, tooo much driiving so what I am asking is this, what is the EASIEST way to get to valenica with my pooch?????????? want to make it as easy as possible (dont we all)
is it better to go via santender?
thanks
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:10 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving to spain with my dog, aaaargh

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
I would love to go out to my place in spain and take my dog with me so i can stay a bit longer there rather than just go for a week whilst my dog is in kennels. now, I (a women) lol.... would love to drive down with doggie but my brother says "oh, its toooo far for you to travel, tooo much driiving so what I am asking is this, what is the EASIEST way to get to valenica with my pooch?????????? want to make it as easy as possible (dont we all)
is it better to go via santender?
thanks
I posted a nice easy route in next (Alicante)thread.
Forgot to mention Bordo/Bayonne roadside Motels take dogs overnight if needs be.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I posted a nice easy route in next (Alicante)thread.
Forgot to mention Bordo/Bayonne roadside Motels take dogs overnight if needs be.
I know the feeling when it comes to dogs, have 2 one of which is 14yrs, not to sure wether he would make the move, but the other is 5 she will be ok. I am moving to granada region so we are also looking for the best road route. Starting to ask myself, what on earth have I let myself infor
Old Jul 5th 2009, 7:40 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jay01
I know the feeling when it comes to dogs, have 2 one of which is 14yrs, not to sure wether he would make the move, but the other is 5 she will be ok. I am moving to granada region so we are also looking for the best road route. Starting to ask myself, what on earth have I let myself infor
Wonder if your Muts are good travellers.
I am very lucky with mine,just drove 3000 km to Sweden for the umpteenth time with him,no problem.
Within half an hour of arrival he was back in the car waiting for his next ride,.......seems to think its his first home.

On the other hand my girlfriends Mut, same breed,JRT,cant even get 5 km to the supermarket without throwing up 2 or 3 times.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Wonder if your Muts are good travellers.
I am very lucky with mine,just drove 3000 km to Sweden for the umpteenth time with him,no problem.
Within half an hour of arrival he was back in the car waiting for his next ride,.......seems to think its his first home.

On the other hand my girlfriends Mut, same breed,JRT,cant even get 5 km to the supermarket without throwing up 2 or 3 times.
I am one of the lucky ones, My dogs are fantastic travellers , they pretty much go every where with me as it is, regularly from london to north east and back again and touch wood never been ill yet. This will be a challenge for them but we always travel with regular stops for them, and what a way to see a new country.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:24 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I have used several channel crossings. It depends on where you are which route is most convenient. The Santander crossing is long, but if you are not in a rush, you could regard it as a mini cruise and meanader through spain as a holiday.

It is quite expensive to transport a dog. Rabies shots and vet bills etc. It is not kind to leave your dog in kennels either, not an easy choice?
Old Jul 5th 2009, 8:44 am
On the road again.

I am one of the lucky ones, My dogs are fantastic travellers , they pretty much go every where with me as it is, regularly from london to north east and back again and touch wood never been ill yet. This will be a challenge for them but we always travel with regular stops for them, and what a way to see a new country.
Wonder if they are similar to mine?

My last one,now passed on,used to make the N.E.to London trip quite often, sleeping virtually all the way and my present one much the same sleeping all the way to Spain,.......and yet........every time, within half a km of the destination they would suddenly wake up,sit up and look out, obviously fully aware from the scent exactly where they were.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Wonder if they are similar to mine?

My last one,now passed on,used to make the N.E.to London trip quite often, sleeping virtually all the way and my present one much the same sleeping all the way to Spain,.......and yet........every time, within half a km of the destination they would suddenly wake up,sit up and look out, obviously fully aware from the scent exactly where they were.
lol, tell me about it, they can be flat out on the back seat totally catatonic the entire journey but pull onto the last road and they are there, as if they had been following a road map. How would the dogs be treated on the ferries, as it is a very long journey time or would we be better taking the tunnel and going via france, I know it is likely to be a lot longer but is it more hound friendly. Moving in 3 weeks, would I be better waiting till spain to get them thier shots or start here first?.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:43 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

lol, tell me about it, they can be flat out on the back seat totally catatonic the entire journey but pull onto the last road and they are there, as if they had been following a road map. How would the dogs be treated on the ferries, as it is a very long journey time or would we be better taking the tunnel and going via france, I know it is likely to be a lot longer but is it more hound friendly. Moving in 3 weeks, would I be better waiting till spain to get them thier shots or start here first?.
are you moving out to spain permanently? if so dont think you need shots to take dogs OUT of the country.....
have heard its more hound friendly to take your dog on the boat or train.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

the dog will have to micro chipped and it is best if all the shots are up to date. so best to get it done before you leave UK
Old Jul 5th 2009, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
are you moving out to spain permanently? if so dont think you need shots to take dogs OUT of the country.....
have heard its more hound friendly to take your dog on the boat or train.
"Yes" moving out permanantly (finally), oh we set ourselves challenges. Both are already micro chipped, may have to update their information mind, jabs are due back end of the year.

Last edited by jay01; Jul 5th 2009 at 9:58 am.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Dave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant futureDave n Dee has a brilliant future

dogs will need passports, blood test etc, 6 months before they can
travel. ask a vet!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave n Dee
dogs will need passports, blood test etc, 6 months before they can
travel. ask a vet!
I think you will find that passports are only needed when re-entering the UK!
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I think you will find that passports are only needed when re-entering the UK!
Accordiing to our vet, all dogs need a passport. Our dog had one issued in Britain, but when the vet's scanner could not read the micro-chip (which she got when we lived in Hong Kong) she said she would have to be rechipped and a Spanish pet passport issued.
Old Jul 5th 2009, 11:17 am
On the road again.

lol, tell me about it, they can be flat out on the back seat totally catatonic the entire journey but pull onto the last road and they are there, as if they had been following a road map. How would the dogs be treated on the ferries, as it is a very long journey time .
If, as you say they are happy in the car, they can stay in the car on the St Malo ferry.Normally a smooth run,touch wood,as against the Bay of Biscayoh where you could spend quite a while talking to hughhhhhhie, down that big white telephone
They can be walked for an hour or two before boarding and car visits are allowed on the ferry by arrangement with reception.
I ve done countless European ferry trips with my present dog in the car Overnight,....Channel,North Sea,Baltic,Skagerak,etc.
Touch wood in all those trips not once has he peed or pood in the car.

The Kiel Gothenburg,(Stena) is the best having special doggy cabins to be with the master, with doggy beds and scraps plus a nice sheltered outside exercise area with doggy toilet, plus seats and table for owners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.