Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving in Spain (legality of tourist plates)

Driving in Spain (legality of tourist plates)

Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

cavester is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Spain (legality of tourist plates)

Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help me out here.

My brother has a holiday apartment in Marbella and has just bought (january) an Aston Martin DB9. The car has been put on tourist plates to reduce the tax he must pay. He has purchased insurance which covers anyone over the age of 25 to drive it (I am 27).

I am from the UK and have been down a couple of times and drove it about etc. My brother has just phoned the dealer to arrange me to take the car in for its courtesy service when I go in May. However the dealer has said that I should not be driving the car as it is on tourist plates and only he (my brother, the legal owner) can drive it.

Can anyone shed any light on this and tell me what the dealer on about?

Thanks,

Lee.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Spain (legality of tourist plates)

Originally Posted by cavester
Hi,

My brother has a holiday apartment in Marbella and has just bought (january) an Aston Martin DB9. The car has been put on tourist plates to reduce the tax he must pay. He has purchased insurance which covers anyone over the age of 25 to drive it (I am 27).

I am from the UK and have been down a couple of times and drove it about etc. My brother has just phoned the dealer to arrange me to take the car in for its courtesy service when I go in May. However the dealer has said that I should not be driving the car as it is on tourist plates and only he (my brother, the legal owner) can drive it.

Thanks,

Lee.
sorry i dont have any answers however is he single
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:58 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,

Lee.
I have also heard this.

When a vehicle is on tourist plates or temporary plates, etc., it should ONLY be driven by the owner.

Martha
Old Mar 25th 2007, 3:59 pm
MnM

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
well he sounds like my kind of bloke i mean what woman can resist a db9 I am sure i can part ex Mr Naughtyxxxxxx
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:05 pm
MnM

Hi,

Thanks,

Lee.
Check this link....

Paragraph 9 states....

..."In the past it was possible to run a car tax-free; for their first six months in Spain new residents were classed as tourists, and able to simply use tourist plates. Once this expired, they would take the car back to the UK , return with the vehicle to Spain and apply for a tourist registration plate for a further six months. Unfortunately this is no longer possible, as citizens of the EU are no longer classified as tourists within the EU."
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

hmmm thanks for the link however it is still not clear cut. He lives in Baku (Russia) so is therefore a non-EU resident, which is why he doesn't pay the 16% IVA on the pruchase of the car. However I don't see why I can not drive it on these plates if it is insured for me too.

Is there any place I can obtain a definitive answer on this?

Thanks,

Lee.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like its Russian money Miss N, you stick with old faithful!
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

He's not Russian, he's British (English) lol he has just worked in Baku for over 10 years now making a business there (oil industry)

Anyone any ideas on the original question?

Cheers,

L.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:29 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

He's not Russian, he's British (English) lol he has just worked in Baku for over 10 years now making a business there (oil industry)

Cheers,

L.
Just a joke!

This passage is taken from the site linked bellow,

2. Tourist Plates In Spain

When referring to tourist plates, one must make the following distinctions:
A. Residents within the customs area of the community.
B. Residents outside the customs area of the community.

A. Residents Within The Customs Area

Persons With Habitual Residence Within The Community, But Outside Of Spain - Conditions

This system is applicable to all persons complying with the following conditions:

1) That they have their habitual residence within the community, but outside of Spain.
2) That they do not have any business activity in Spain.
3) That they (or spouse, parents or children complying with the same conditions) use the car only for private purposes.

Keeping Car On Tourist Plated - Only Paying VAT (IVA)

Under this system any person residing within the community, but outside Spain, may continue to keep their car on tourist plates only paying VAT (IVA) of 16%. These tourist plates may be prolonged every year, without further payments other than the municipal car tax.

Circumstances In Which VAT (IVA) Is Not Payable

There are two exceptions whereby persons resident within the community area, but outside of Spain, may qualify to have a car on tourist plates without having to pay the IVA:

1) Persons on the point of transferring their habitual residency to a country outside the community. In this case three months are allowed for the transfer.
2) Correspondents for foreign newspapers in Spain, teachers in schools established by foreign governments and employees without diplomatic status in embassies, consulates and international organisations located in Spain. In such cases there is no limit on the use of the vehicle.

B. Residents Outside The Customs Area Of The Community

Exemption From All Taxes

Persons resident outside the community area may have a car on tourist plates with total exemption from all taxes (meaning they do not have to pay the IVA, nor the special registration tax, nor the 10% customs if the car is produced outside the community).

Period Of Use

Such persons may use a car with tourist plates continuously or not for six months, per 12 month period.

Application For An Extension

However, to be able to continue to use the vehicle for more than the first six months, they must apply for an extension that will be granted by the customs authorities, if the circumstances permit. Customs make the decision regarding extensions.

General Rule

The general rule is that after six months, the car should be imported into Spain on normal Spanish plates as stipulated in Law 38/1992 on Special Taxes.

Special Circumstances

However, under special circumstances, this may be extended. The family of the car's owner who has a vacation property in Spain and takes their holidays at intervals throughout the year may have a good case for extension.

http://www.graysworld.co.uk/spanish-...ain-cars.htm#B
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. It still doesn't seem to answer the question however I can not find anywhere on the net which says only the owner of the vehicle can drive it if it is on tourist plates?

Wonder if I could ask the british embasy or something?

L.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:35 pm
Straw Man.

Thanks for that. It still doesn't seem to answer the question however I can not find anywhere on the net which says only the owner of the vehicle can drive it if it is on tourist plates?

Wonder if I could ask the british embasy or something?

L.
Thought it said in the link that the owners familly could?! You read it all?

Want me to read it for you as well?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cheers,

L.
Are you sure he does not want a nice girl xxxx i have already stated i am available
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Thought it said in the link that the owners familly could?! You read it all?

Want me to read it for you as well?
Yes it does but thats for extension of the 6 month rule. However it does beg the question that if you can apply for extension where family members may take holidays and drive the car that the car can therefore be driven by other people (family). The other spoke that this puts in the works is that he is a non-eu resident which is why he pays no tax, however I am an eu resident.

May ask a copper lolol
Old Mar 25th 2007, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Are you sure he does not want a nice girl xxxx i have already stated i am available
Dunno, send me your photo and I will ask him lolol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.