Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving in spain

Driving in spain

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:59 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in spain

Sorry that should have been scrappers------ forking spill chick
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xxfrecklesxx
Hi,
And the stickers with the barcodes on? (no idea what they are called)
They are called Etiquetas
Old Apr 24th 2008, 1:38 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zel
You can still use/keep your UK license, some people get it stamped in Spain but I believe you then have to go for semi regular health checks (basic as they are)
These "semi-regular" health checks are actually a simple eyesight and coordination test which you have to do at the same regularity as if you had a Spanish license. Until you are 45 it is every 10 yrs and between 45 and 70 it is every 5 years thereafter ever 2 years. Exactly the same test either to keep a UK license valid or to renew your Spanish license. They no longer stamp your UK license and they cannot insist you change to a Spanish one. Every EU state must recognise a driving license of another EU state but they can impose additional conditions on residents such as medical checks. In my case I did the test and got Trafico to issue a note confirming validity for 5 yrs.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I bought a new car a month ago I needed,

My NIE (mines the new type on the green sheet)
My passport

My padron

Also had to have proof of insurance when I collected the car, that was easy I gave my insurance all the details about a week before (Direct Linea) then when I went to pick up the car, they just faxed it through

I did not need anything to show I owned my house, or that I rented

Garage was useless though, car was not ready, was not cleaned, they did not show me how everything worked, ok sounds stupid, but when its dark and you drive off, and realise its got no fuel in it, it would of been handy if they had shown me where the button is to unlock the petrol cap!
etc......... this is the 5th new car ive had (2 here- 3 in the UK) it was the worse service ive had

PS, if part exchanging an old Spanish car, they want all the old suma (road tax) bills, and for it to show its paid

That's the new Residency Certificate
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:01 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by El Capitan
These "semi-regular" health checks are actually a simple eyesight and coordination test which you have to do at the same regularity as if you had a Spanish license. Until you are 45 it is every 10 yrs and between 45 and 70 it is every 5 years thereafter ever 2 years. Exactly the same test either to keep a UK license valid or to renew your Spanish license. They no longer stamp your UK license and they cannot insist you change to a Spanish one. Every EU state must recognise a driving license of another EU state but they can impose additional conditions on residents such as medical checks. In my case I did the test and got Trafico to issue a note confirming validity for 5 yrs.
Any idea if you get to a certain age then you have to do a complete re-test?

I only ask as I'm a qualified driving instructor in the UK (tho I don't actually do it for a living) so it would be one more string to ones arrow when I move over.

I assume you must also have the 'new' photo ID version of the UK license?

Last edited by zel; Apr 24th 2008 at 3:03 am.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:10 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I bought a new car a month ago I needed,

My NIE (mines the new type on the green sheet)

My passport

My padron

Also had to have proof of insurance when I collected the car, that was easy I gave my insurance all the details about a week before (Direct Linea) then when I went to pick up the car, they just faxed it through

I did not need anything to show I owned my house, or that I rented

The fact that you are on the Padron indicates you either own a house here in Spain, or are long term renting with a contract, which is why they didn´t need that sort of proof. Also if you are on the padron now you have to have the residency certificate. All I needed the first time was my padron and passport, and bank account info for them to organise my insurance.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

does anyone know about other rules about driving..I know that you have to have yellow vests in the car and carry spare bulbs for the vehicle you are driving..I was told when i was in spain that it was illegal to drive in flip flop or toe thong sandals??? as i wear this type of shoe most of the time because i have neuropathy [and have difficulty with foot wear.].I cant wear shoes and socks and tights i would like to know what others do.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:02 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Theres's a very comprehensive book on the subject, called, I think driving in Spain.

Just checked.

Motoring in Spain by Brian Deller.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:33 am
hoski and Myra

hoski is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bil
Theres's a very comprehensive book on the subject, called, I think driving in Spain.

Just checked.

Motoring in Spain by Brian Deller.
Hi there,

That's a great book!
Old Apr 26th 2008, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hoski
Hi there,

That's a great book!
i have ordered it from amazon.. hopefully it will be here by the middle of the week..

thank you for the name of it
carole

Last edited by madcarole; Apr 26th 2008 at 2:00 am.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 3:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole
does anyone know about other rules about driving..I know that you have to have yellow vests in the car and carry spare bulbs for the vehicle you are driving..I was told when i was in spain that it was illegal to drive in flip flop or toe thong sandals??? as i wear this type of shoe most of the time because i have neuropathy [and have difficulty with foot wear.].I cant wear shoes and socks and tights i would like to know what others do.
All the car reg paperwork, valid insurance docs and payment receipt, road tax, test certificate, driving licence, spare pair of glasses if you need glasses to drive, flourescent jacket for everyone in the car, two red triangles, first aid kit, surgeons rubber gloves, baby seats for babies, booster seats for small children, restraints for animals, don`t upset the Guardia as they will find something you don`t have.
A lot of the driving laws are changing to criminal law soon and some are hard, like two years jail for driving without a licence.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:30 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that when you consider the problems someone faces if they are hit by an uninsured driver, then those acts that leave the driver uninsured, like not having a license, or properly maintained vehicle should be severely punished.

I love watching the programmes that show the police taking and crushing uninsured cars.

Serves them right.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
All the car reg paperwork, valid insurance docs and payment receipt, road tax, test certificate, driving licence, spare pair of glasses if you need glasses to drive, flourescent jacket for everyone in the car, two red triangles, first aid kit, surgeons rubber gloves, baby seats for babies, booster seats for small children, restraints for animals, don`t upset the Guardia as they will find something you don`t have.
A lot of the driving laws are changing to criminal law soon and some are hard, like two years jail for driving without a licence.
can i ask how you carry all these documents around..as surely you do not leave these documents in the car when you go shopping?

carole
Old Apr 26th 2008, 5:19 am
bil
Banned

This is something that bugs me. I have heard of people carrying copies that have been stamped/verified by the Notary, which has got to be safer than the originals, but can all the relevant vehicle documents be carried as copies?

A friend did get stopped, and wasn't carrying docs, and just had to show them in the Vejer station, just like in the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 6:18 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole
can i ask how you carry all these documents around..as surely you do not leave these documents in the car when you go shopping?

carole
Yes they're left in the car when you go shopping, sightseeing, at the garage when its serviced and more often than not in the car at night because you get fed up of taking them in and out of the car all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.