Reload this Page >

Driving to Spain

Driving to Spain

Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Boaz 7648 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving to Spain

Hi all

I will be driving to the Costa de la luz shortly from the Uk. I will be going to Calais and then driving. Can anyone recomend the best route to take and recommend any good stop offs on the way. I will be towing a trailer with a lot of personal belongings on board and so the parking must be secure. Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:29 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving to Spain

Originally Posted by Boaz 7648
Hi all

I will be driving to the Costa de la luz shortly from the Uk. I will be going to Calais and then driving. Can anyone recomend the best route to take and recommend any good stop offs on the way. I will be towing a trailer with a lot of personal belongings on board and so the parking must be secure. Any advice would be most welcome. Thank you
Are you wanting the faster toll roads, or non toll roads?
How big is your trailer?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Boaz 7648 is an unknown quantity at this point

overall dims 223 x 140 x 88cm
Open to advice on the route. Which do you think will be best?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 11:59 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on the forum. There are many threads about the drive with some recommendations of hotels and things like that.
One thing ive always said is go via lemans to avoid the Paris ring road. Its almost the same mileage and it could save a lot of time with traffic if Paris is busy.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

My route to the costa del sol from calais.

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichel...9&image2.y=14#

Just put your final destination in.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 4:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

overall dims 223 x 140 x 88cm
Open to advice on the route. Which do you think will be best?
Well I always go down through Rheims, Lyon, Perpignan, Barcelona on the toll as I can do it in two days and its a straight unchallenging road.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 7:33 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

We used the route provided by Michelin.com there is a choice of routes i.e. quickest, economical, recommended. Are you planning on using the tunnel to cross over to France? Have you considered using a ferry to cross? Look at speedferries.com, cheaper than the tunnel, slightly longer at 50 mins (as opposed to 30 mins) but worth considering.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Diddy Di will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lionda
We used the route provided by Michelin.com there is a choice of routes i.e. quickest, economical, recommended. Are you planning on using the tunnel to cross over to France? Have you considered using a ferry to cross? Look at speedferries.com, cheaper than the tunnel, slightly longer at 50 mins (as opposed to 30 mins) but worth considering.

Would you recommend this for someone who gets sea sick?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Taking a slight "detour" from this thread. Someone told me from the UK that they heard there is going to be a new route between north Spain and the UK. The ship is currently being fitted out in Norway and should be operational in October. Has anyone heard anything else. A Coruna port (in NW Spain) is currently undergoing a major refit to take larger ships. Could it be going from there. For my part that is only 1.5 hours away and would be brilliant.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:31 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddy Di
Would you recommend this for someone who gets sea sick?
I intend taking seasickness tablets if we use the ferry just in case though 50 minutes isn't a long time. I was OK on the quick ferry from Portsmouth to France (2+1/2 hours) but when we used the 5 hour ferry I was VERY ill. So not taking any chances.