Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving a Motorbike on UK License?

Driving a Motorbike on UK License?

Old Jul 13th 2013, 8:57 am
Just Joined

CjrJmm is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Driving a Motorbike on UK License?

Hi,

After reading information on this site, i am in the process of transfering my UK driving license to a Spanish License.

I'm a little unsure of something and wonder if anyone can help. I know that I can ride a motorbike up to a 125cc on a UK License, but when my license has been transfered to a Spanish one, does this restriction up to a 125cc still stand or is that removed?

I think I may have to take a full bike test in order to ride larger engine bikes, is this the case? If so, does anyone know where i could take lessons and have a full bike test in La Linea (English Speaking)?

Any thoughts or comments?

Cheers. Christian.

Last edited by CjrJmm; Jul 13th 2013 at 9:26 am. Reason: To add further info to post
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:28 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving a Motorbike on UK License?

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Only residents can sign on the padron not people who only use their house in Spain for holidays.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a full UK car licence then yes you can drive up to 125cc on that but much the same as the UK system, you will have to pass the motor cycle test to allow the riding of unrestricted size engines. Can't help with your other query I'm afraid although I believe it is possible to take the theory test in english but don't know about the practical. I do however know that it is expensive as my daughter took her moped test (in spanish) recently and all in it cost the best part of 300€!!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 9:45 am
Just Joined

CjrJmm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by malagaman
If you have a full UK car licence then yes you can drive up to 125cc on that but much the same as the UK system, you will have to pass the motor cycle test to allow the riding of unrestricted size engines. Can't help with your other query I'm afraid although I believe it is possible to take the theory test in english but don't know about the practical. I do however know that it is expensive as my daughter took her moped test (in spanish) recently and all in it cost the best part of 300€!!
Cheers MalagaMan,

Thought this may have been the case, just was a little unsure where i stood regarding the language barrier for me, taking another test! It was worrying enough in English. LOL.

Many thanks, will start looking for a Bike Testing Centre.

Cheers, Christian.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi CjrJmm

I have recently been researching this very thing. You CANNOT take the Motorcycle theory in English anymore. I have pasted a link below to some practice tests to give you an idea of the level of Spanish you require to pass.

http://www.testvial.com/tests-motos.html

Once passed, you go on to a two part practical, the first off road, the second on road, followed by an examiner either in a car or bike with an intercom to you. This will also be in Spanish and bear in mind radio talk is often distorted.

Here is a link to a school who show you some of the off road parts and what you will need. There is also a good plan of the off-road layout.

http://www.carnetdemoto.es/carnetDeM...miso_A_A2.html

Once the test is passed you are restricted for two years to motorcycles but I cannot find the link to the requirements. Hope this is of some help. If your Spanish is not first rate, I would advise taking your test in the UK.

I have decided to take the Direct Access in the UK and then swap for a Spanish licence.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 1:51 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CjrJmm

I'm a little unsure of something and wonder if anyone can help. I know that I can ride a motorbike up to a 125cc on a UK License, but when my license has been transfered to a Spanish one, does this restriction up to a 125cc still stand or is that removed?

What makes you think that you can ride a 125cc bike? In january this year the rules changed. Unless your licence has category A1 or a full bike allowance (A), then you can only ride bikes up to 50cc (mopeds basically).

My wife only ever passed her car test so can NOT ride a 125cc bike in UK. Consequently, when the licence was exchanged for a Spanish one, she still can NOT ride a 125cc bike.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:09 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No, you can still ride a bike up to 125cc on a car licence if you have had that licence for 3 years.

It will not say that on your licence otherwise it would apply outside Spain which it doesn't.

However the rule still exists.

I quote:´

. El permiso de las clases B, BTP, B + E, C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D y D + E no autoriza a conducir motocicletas con o sin sidecar. No obstante, las personas que estén en posesión del permiso de la clase B en vigor, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, podrán conducir dentro del territorio nacional las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 13th 2013 at 3:19 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

pedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond reputepedro pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
What makes you think that you can ride a 125cc bike? In january this year the rules changed. Unless your licence has category A1 or a full bike allowance (A), then you can only ride bikes up to 50cc (mopeds basically).

My wife only ever passed her car test so can NOT ride a 125cc bike in UK. Consequently, when the licence was exchanged for a Spanish one, she still can NOT ride a 125cc bike.

Not so sure about that, this is copied from the DGT site and I 'think' it says that with a full car licence of more than three years, valid, the holder may ride motorcycles of class A1.

http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...20conducci%F3n

El permiso de las clases B, BTP, B + E, C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D y D + E no autoriza a conducir motocicletas con o sin sidecar. No obstante, las personas que estén en posesión del permiso de la clase B en vigor, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, podrán conducir dentro del territorio nacional las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1.

This is what is classed as A1:

A1 autoriza para conducir motocicletas con una cilindrada máxima de 125 cm³, una potencia máxima de 11 kW y una relación potencia/peso máxima de 0,1 kW/kg y triciclos de motor cuya potencia máxima no exceda de 15 kW. La edad mínima para obtenerlo será de dieciséis años cumplidos.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 3:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm missing something but isn't that what I just said?
Old Jul 13th 2013, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yes it is but looking at the timing of the posts, I think it is a case of great minds think alike!
Old Jul 13th 2013, 5:22 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
No, you can still ride a bike up to 125cc on a car licence if you have had that licence for 3 years.

It will not say that on your licence otherwise it would apply outside Spain which it doesn't.

However the rule still exists.

I quote:´

. El permiso de las clases B, BTP, B + E, C1, C1 + E, C, C + E, D1, D1 + E, D y D + E no autoriza a conducir motocicletas con o sin sidecar. No obstante, las personas que estén en posesión del permiso de la clase B en vigor, con una antigüedad superior a tres años, podrán conducir dentro del territorio nacional las motocicletas cuya conducción autoriza el permiso de la clase A1.

I didn't realize that, thanks.

So, can one drive a 125cc bike in Spain on a UK (European) licence or must it be a Spanish licence?

Also, can one drive a 125cc bike in UK with just class B held for 3 years +?

I presume so as I was under the impression that the rules were now standardized across Europe.
Old Jul 13th 2013, 5:50 pm

No, the basic classes of vehicle are now standardised but each country can have local exceptions to the rules.

Spain has the exception that you can drive a 125cc bike on a car licence, and no, it doesn't have to be a Spanish licence - just a licence that is valid in Spain.

The reason that does not say that on the Spanish licence is that it is a purely Spanish rule and if it was on your licence as a class then it would be valid across the EU - which it isn't.

So, no, it doesn't apply in the UK so you can't do it there - but it could if the UK chose to make an similar exception.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 13th 2013 at 5:53 pm.