Reload this Page >

driving from liverpool (uk) to santa susanna

driving from liverpool (uk) to santa susanna

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:40 am
Just Joined

scousedave08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default driving from liverpool (uk) to santa susanna

hi im planing on driving from liverpool to santa susanna in july
there is 4 off us 2 adults 2 kids ( 13-7)
i have got me self a chrysler voyager 2.5 crd

i am looking at leaving my house apx 20:00/21:00 on fri 15th july
get ferry from dover - calais sat 16th ( sea france ) @ 04:00
get into france @ 06:00
then drive down stopping around millau
next day do drive from millau-santa suzanna

i have been on web site finding out cost off tolls ect but how accurate are they
has any one done the same trip that could advise me

route im looking @ is
A-26
A-1
Thru paris ( drivin here b4 )
A-10
A-71
A-75
A-9
Thru to spain

thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 5:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving from liverpool (uk) to santa susanna

It's not the way I'd go, but thats up to you of course. I have sat in a traffic jam in Paris for 3 hours before. You'll be passing through there about late morning I guess ... good luck

Via michelin seems to be pretty accurate for tolls.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
It's not the way I'd go, but thats up to you of course. I have sat in a traffic jam in Paris for 3 hours before. You'll be passing through there about late morning I guess ... good luck

Every one has their favourite route. There is no way I would go through Paris. My route is A16 from Calais (toll) A28 to Rouen (Free) then A154 to Evreux, Druex, Chartres (Free) A10 & A71 (toll) to A75 (Free) apart from the toll to cross the Milau bridge then A9. I usually have two overnight stops in France then arrive in Olive on the Costa Blanca on the third day. Overall just over 1000 miles.

Have also tried the West coast route via Bordeaux then Pau and down into Spain via Zaragoza & Valencia but still prefer the other route if only for the lovely country travelling on the A75. The new bridge at Milau is something to see.

Keep clear of the Troyes, Dijon and Lyon motorway route it will cost you a fortune in tolls.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
Keep clear of the Troyes, Dijon and Lyon motorway route it will cost you a fortune in tolls.
Its abt €118 Calais to Gandia via Troyes / Lyon, you can do it in two days saving an overnight stop. Usually overnight in Valence
Old Apr 4th 2011, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Mataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really niceMataroni is just really nice

I agree the via michelin is accurate and offers you different possiblities to go. Price, time, motorways....
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:29 pm
Banned

JulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura aboutJulianWard has a spectacular aura about

Having driven to UK from Malaga and return several times, I would not use toll roads. There are reasonably fast alternatives.

I used to spend about 20 hours actual driving time from Malaga to Caen, (1,200 miles)without breaking the speed limit. I have done the journey a couple of times without an overnight stop, but its a long drive.

Liverpool to Santa Susana looks to be about 860 miles, certainly a one hop possibility.

Last edited by JulianWard; Apr 4th 2011 at 3:36 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:01 pm
Just Joined

scousedave08 is an unknown quantity at this point

My route is A16 from Calais (toll) A28 to Rouen (Free) then A154 to Evreux, Druex, Chartres (Free) A10 & A71 (toll) to A75 (Free) apart from the toll to cross the Milau bridge then A9. I usually have two overnight stops in France then arrive in Olive on the Costa Blanca on the third day. Overall just over 1000 miles.

is this route posible with one over night stay in around milau and
do you know cost off this way in tolls
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:43 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by scousedave08

Why dont you log onto ViaMichhelin as I suggested and that will tell you
Old Apr 4th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scousedave08
Definitely possible with one overnight stop. However to do that I would think you would need to arrive in France in the morning so you can get some miles under your belt before stopping for the night. Arriving later in the day or in the evening will mean some night time driving. The other thing to consider is how many miles do you have to drive to reach the ferry at Dover.

I found two overnights meant very comfortable driving regarding miles covered. As far as tolls are concerned and if my memory serves me correctly the tolls in France should be within €50.

From Oliva in Spain to the French border I don't pay any tolls going via Valencia, Segunto and Zaragoza and it's a good road all the way.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely possible with one overnight stop. However to do that I would think you would need to arrive in France in the morning so you can get some miles under your belt before stopping for the night. Arriving later in the day or in the evening will mean some night time driving. The other thing to consider is how many miles do you have to drive to reach the ferry at Dover.

I found two overnights meant very comfortable driving regarding miles covered. As far as tolls are concerned and if my memory serves me correctly the tolls in France should be within €50.

From Oliva in Spain to the French border I don't pay any tolls going via Valencia, Segunto and Zaragoza and it's a good road all the way.
The OP route is the one we took when we departed for good.
Coming from Cheshire, we drove to the tunnel on day one crossed, and stayed about 40 k into France. we were seeking accommodation as we found it and our intention was to stop around Saint Flour, which is short of Millau but very senic, and there is one of Eiffel's rail bridges there that I wanted to see. We didn't make it and ended day two just south of Clermont Ferrand.

Norman's bridge at Millau is a must once, and onward we made our next stop at Girona which is not too far from your ultimate destination.

My vehicle is not the best for long distance work, a FULLY laden RAV 4. you may fare bette cruising. My only concern for you would be the children, how are they at long distance.

P.S. Paris is ok with a Sat Nav, don't trust the wife !
Old Apr 5th 2011, 9:20 am
Senior Moment

We came twice

First time in a LWB Luton van. Three of us non stop from Birmingham to Oliva via Dover / Calais and Paris straight down. We got to Paris about 4 in the morning and it was dead easy. Took 26 hours iirc.

Then we bought my car down, Portsmouth / St Malo and down the West coast to Bordeaux, over the Pyrenees, down past Barcelona etc. By far the most enjoyable route was via St Malo

We also have done Troyes, Lyon, etc, and we've come over Portsmouth to Bilbao / Santander also. The Santander crossing cost about €250 last time and the tolls were only about €35, so surprisingly its cheaper than coming through France. It's the route we take now if we are driving. You end up refreshed early in the morning with about 7 hours to drive to home.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

We came twice

First time in a LWB Luton van. Three of us non stop from Birmingham to Oliva via Dover / Calais and Paris straight down. We got to Paris about 4 in the morning and it was dead easy. Took 26 hours iirc.

Then we bought my car down, Portsmouth / St Malo and down the West coast to Bordeaux, over the Pyrenees, down past Barcelona etc. By far the most enjoyable route was via St Malo

We also have done Troyes, Lyon, etc, and we've come over Portsmouth to Bilbao / Santander also. The Santander crossing cost about €250 last time and the tolls were only about €35, so surprisingly its cheaper than coming through France. It's the route we take now if we are driving. You end up refreshed early in the morning with about 7 hours to drive to home.
Thats a strange route Mitzy, surely Bordeaux on past Zaragosa is much quicker than Bordo.on through Barca.
Just been rechecking the routes and prices myself.
The Viamichelin seems out of date, regarding the Zaragosa route and it shows up quicker and shorter on the RAC routefinder.
Also the prices on the Santander ferry were showing up at about 50% higher than your last trip, though maybe much depends on the time of year.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Thats a strange route Mitzy, surely Bordeaux on past Zaragosa is much quicker than Bordo.on through Barca.
The Viamichelin seems out of date, regarding the Zaragosa route and it shows up quicker and shorter on the RAC routefinder.
Also the prices on the Santander ferry were showing up at about 50% higher than your last trip, though maybe much depends on the time of year.
Will be coming down from Kidderminster this September. Santander/Bilbao is £400 plus so had a look at Poole/Cherbourg which was £149 but a longer drive down to Oliva. At least there are no tolls using the Zaragoza/Teruel/Segunto route and then N332. I wonder if the prices will come down later in the year.

Going to UK in August the Tunnel at £54 seems about the cheapest. Fuel prices in France now are a real killer though
Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:51 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It would, but we had a specific route on that occasion, and thats they way we went. I wasn't in a rush .. it was our "moving to Spain" trip

I dont know, I havent checked Santander prices recently, and yes it does vary. At Christmas time its around £605 return. I also get a small discount as a guest of a holiday club member.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: driving from liverpool (uk) to santa susanna

Will be coming down from Kidderminster this September. Santander/Bilbao is £400 plus so had a look at Poole/Cherbourg which was £149 but a longer drive down to Oliva. At least there are no tolls using the Zaragoza/Teruel/Segunto route and then N332. I wonder if the prices will come down later in the year.

Going to UK in August the Tunnel at £54 seems about the cheapest. Fuel prices in France now are a real killer though
Mitzy and I have checked and re-checked this journey and with a sensible no of stops fom Calais to Irun one overnight cheap but not fleapit the cost of the ferry to N Spain from Portsmouth is about equal to Train + Fuel + Tolls + hotel through France outside mid June to mid September, Christmas, Easter and May 1/2 term. This is my view as a pensioner who has driven hundreds of thousands of miles since 17 and with regard to a sensible driving day similar to that allowed by Tachograph for the HGV drivers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.