Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving Licenses Oh what fun.

Driving Licenses Oh what fun.

Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:34 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Driving Licenses Oh what fun.

Here is a predicament.
A 'friend' of mine had a full UK driving license.. However it was stolen over here two and a half years ago. They applied for a new (replacement) one and were sent forms requiring a signature to ask for permission to contact a doctor due to the 'friend' having a form of epilepsy.
In the end they were granted a new (replacement) driving license but with all the categories taken off the back bar van and car and it was only valid for three years. It is since then that they have moved to Spain and have been told that DVLA will contact them 90 days before the license expires so they can apply for a full long term license. However, the problem arises that you are not allowed to apply in the uk for a license if you are living elsewhere and if you apply elsewhere i.e. Spain, will they not contact DVLA and ask for medical records proving that you are fit to drive (you have to be free of seisures for a period of three years or more). The medical records won't be available as the doctors over there ain't seen ya..
If anyone has any advice whatsoever then please let me know what they have encountered, for example if 'my friend' gets a license over here in exchange for their UK one will all UK rules go out the window and then it will be down to traffico.. PLease let me know as my 'friend' is driving my wife mad with questions that she can't answer..
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licenses Oh what fun.

I am sure some one on this site will be of help for your friend "lush daddy", an hope they sort their problem out soon.
Old Mar 17th 2010, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licenses Oh what fun.

When I changed my UK licence for a Spanish one my entitlement to pull a trailer was lost.
I had a very old UK licence that had no mention of trailers on it because it was an accepted fact in those days.
This went unnoticed for a few years until I wanted to tow a large trailer.
I then contacted the DVLA who sent me a form D737 which listed all my entitlements.
This was presented in Spain and all was corrected.

I would imagine that in the case of your friend the same would apply, I.E. if your friend supplies the DVLA with the relevant medical information their records will be updated and corrected.

Personally I would give the DVLA a ring and ask their advice.