Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

driving license help 2!

driving license help 2!

Old Jan 29th 2010, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all
Default driving license help 2!

Now, my problem, is that if my OH gets his Gib car repaired (rather than getting a new car), can I drive it legally with my spanish driving license?

Em
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving license help 2!

Originally Posted by Emma-Louise
Now, my problem, is that if my OH gets his Gib car repaired (rather than getting a new car), can I drive it legally with my spanish driving license?

Em
If you are a Spanish resident, no.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:19 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by valenciatim
If you are a Spanish resident, no.
Except in special circumstances. Example taking it for a test drive, picking up someone from the airport when the owner can't drive for some reason, but in general the answer is as Valenciatim said, NO

That would also apply to anyone of they are resident even if they have a foreign DL.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Emma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to allEmma-Louise is a name known to all

thanks guys...

I am a Spanish resident...

so.........

I have been added to his insurance on the Gib car..... so my name is on the papers....
If got I stopped and produced my passport and my UK driving licence and those insurance papers would I be ok?

any ideas?

Last edited by Emma-Louise; Jan 30th 2010 at 11:41 am. Reason: removed the incriminating bit :-)
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:08 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys...

I am a Spanish resident...

so.........

I have been added to his insurance on the Gib car..... so my name is on the papers....
If got I stopped and produced my passport and my UK driving licence and those insurance papers would I be ok?

(NB: I still have the UK drivers licence as I did what most do and declared my UK licence lost, got sent a new one then submitted the old one to traffico in exchange for my spanish licence...)

any ideas?
probably strictly speaking no
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:14 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnxa
probably strictly speaking no

That your name is on 'the papers' does not change the fact that a person who is Resident in Spain is not allowed to drive a foreign registered car.

Of course you could lie, as you suggest, but if you get found out you will be in trouble.

PS. Declaring here that you made a false statement to obtain a duplicate UK DL is tantamount to pleading guilty to at least one criminology offence in UK. ,
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Bugger!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:44 am
Banned

Bugger!
Emma, in the light of his job, don't tell the OH !!!!!!
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:50 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify please chaps - are you all saying that I cannot drive a friends car when they are over from England on holiday (UK plated car) despite having a valid D/L and despite being insured?

This would not be the case in UK - or would it?
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Just to clarify please chaps - are you all saying that I cannot drive a friends car when they are over from England on holiday (UK plated car) despite having a valid D/L and despite being insured?

I am sorry but how much clearer can one say this:-

IF YOU ARE RESIDENT IN SPAIN (AS YOU SAY YOU ARE) YOU CANNOT DRIVE A FOREIGN PLATED VEHICLE IN SPAIN. That is any foreign plated vehicle.

It has nothing to do with what DL you have, and it has nothing to do with what you can or can't do in UK or any other country.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 30th 2010 at 11:58 am.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

So all those expats here who drive UK plated vehicles are not only illegal because the vehicle has not been matriculated etc. etc. but also because, as residents, they can't drive a UK plated vehicle either!

Thank you all. This has not come up on the forum before. I knew they were driving illegally but not realize that it was for MULTIPLE reasons.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:11 pm
Banned

Wow.

So all those expats here who drive UK plated vehicles are not only illegal because the vehicle has not been matriculated etc. etc. but also because, as residents, they can't drive a UK plated vehicle either!

Thank you all. This has not come up on the forum before. I knew they were driving illegally but not realize that it was for MULTIPLE reasons.
Yep that's it. But I don't think we need to be too concerned, its their choice, their problem if caught. Live and let live.

I am surprised that it has not come up before though.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johncar61
Yep that's it. But I don't think we need to be too concerned, its their choice, their problem if caught. Live and let live.

It has come up several times.
Also it's their problem if caught, yes, just hope they don't hurt anyone along the way.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61

Do a search on UK cars in Spain, it must be close to 400 threads now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.