Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving Licences and medical certs.

Driving Licences and medical certs.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:23 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all
Default Driving Licences and medical certs.

In yesterday's Euro Weekly News, in the article by 'Juan the Local Policeman' there was a question about whether a medical cert was required to be carried with your D/L

The writer said there was no law which required this, I will be writing to EWN as I believe that is wrong. With a Spanish licence of course one does not need to carry a Medical Cert as of course one was produced when the licence was applied for.

I believe 'Juan' either did not understand the question or is not aware that when a person who is a resident, is driving on foreign DL they do need a med. Cert. This is confirmed by Brian Deller, author of Motoring in Spain.

OK Guys I am now waiting to be shot down !!!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:20 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licences and medical certs.

Originally Posted by johncar61
In yesterday's Euro Weekly News, in the article by 'Juan the Local Policeman' there was a question about whether a medical cert was required to be carried with your D/L

The writer said there was no law which required this, I will be writing to EWN as I believe that is wrong. With a Spanish licence of course one does not need to carry a Medical Cert as of course one was produced when the licence was applied for.

I believe 'Juan' either did not understand the question or is not aware that when a person who is a resident, is driving on foreign DL they do need a med. Cert. This is confirmed by Brian Deller, author of Motoring in Spain.

Why would you be shot down? If you used search you would see that this has been discussed on numerous occasions and that most of us are fully aware that med certificates are required to validate your licence
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:23 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Why would you be shot down? If you used search you would see that this has been discussed on numerous occasions and that most of us are fully aware that med certificates are required to validate your licence
I speak from experience !!!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

I was issued a Spanish licence without producing a medical certificate. It's the first time I have heard this. Is everyone blanketly supposed to have medical certs or are there some exceptions? Or why was I issued a Spanish licence without a medical cert?
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:53 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Veleta
I was issued a Spanish licence without producing a medical certificate. It's the first time I have heard this. Is everyone blanketly supposed to have medical certs or are there some exceptions?
I think when I exchanged my licence I did not need a Med Cert. When I subsequently renewed the Spanish Licence I did.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I think when I exchanged my licence I did not need a Med Cert. When I subsequently renewed the Spanish Licence I did.
I think you've all missed the point of the original post - it asked whether the medical was needed to be CARRIED at all times!

We all know that we have to follow the Spanish law of having a medical and renewing this on a regular basis. When exchanging the UK D/L for a Spanish one, you may not be required to show a medical, but you still need to follow the law and have one.

John, it's not just needed when you obtain or renew a D/L, it's needed to be renewed as per the law and this depends upon age.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I think you've all missed the point of the original post - it asked whether the medical was needed to be CARRIED at all times!

We all know that we have to follow the Spanish law of having a medical and renewing this on a regular basis. When exchanging the UK D/L for a Spanish one, you may not be required to show a medical, but you still need to follow the law and have one.

John, it's not just needed when you obtain or renew a D/L, it's needed to be renewed as per the law and this depends upon age.
Sorry Snikpoh: I think you missed the point. I opened this thread, the original point was the one I made.

I said " ..... when a person who is a resident, is driving on a foreign DL they do need (to carry) a med. Cert.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 1:54 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

That's quite correct.

The logic behind it is that your current foreign licence meets any medical requirements in the country that issued it so no further medicals are required until it is due for renewal.

It creates the bizarre situation where if you had a serious eyesight problem that would prevent driving, you can get away with it if for some more time if you exchange it and not if you want to keep it!

Last edited by Fred James; Jan 29th 2010 at 1:59 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 9:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veleta
I was issued a Spanish licence without producing a medical certificate. It's the first time I have heard this. Is everyone blanketly supposed to have medical certs or are there some exceptions? Or why was I issued a Spanish licence without a medical cert?
If you exchange your license, they will assume that you are currently medically certificated, and issue you with the license, if you just get your UK license validated, then you will have to have a medical check. Another of the Bureaucratic idiosyncrasies. Makes sense to get you license exchanged.. (Good coming from someone who lived in Spain for 4 years and never did anything about his)..
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by mikelincs
If you exchange your license, they will assume that you are currently medically certificated, and issue you with the license, if you just get your UK license validated, then you will have to have a medical check. Another of the Bureaucratic idiosyncrasies. Makes sense to get you license exchanged.. (Good coming from someone who lived in Spain for 4 years and never did anything about his)..
I am aged 63. I am thinking of exchanging my uk licence for a spanish one. Last year I took a medical and got the certificate. Recently, I spoke to a gestor and he said that because I took the medical about 7 months ago, I would have to take another one to exchange my licence. Do you think he's wrong? - I hope he is!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by petew
I am aged 63. I am thinking of exchanging my uk licence for a spanish one. Last year I took a medical and got the certificate. Recently, I spoke to a gestor and he said that because I took the medical about 7 months ago, I would have to take another one to exchange my licence. Do you think he's wrong? - I hope he is!

I am not sure if when you change your DL to a Spanish one if you need to produce a medical cert. I was a bit younger than you when I did it and did not need a cert.

However, if you do then I am just about certain that the cert you get is marked as being valid for only 3 months.

If you are driving on a a foreign licence, you still must have a medical cert, which you would carry with your DL for the validity of that D/L.

Note: the foreign DL is only valid for the number of years, from when you take out Residencia, as a Spanish one would be, so not until you are 70.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

The certificate is valid for 90 days for its' usual purpose i.e applying for or renewing a spanish licence. However, what has been said on this forum and elsewhere is that a medical certificate is not required to exchange a u.k licence, because it is assumed that possession of a valid u.k. licence means you meet the medical requirements atnthat moment in time.

I am sure i can pass the medical again but I don't want to if I don't need to!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:04 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by petew
I am sure i can pass the medical again but I don't want to if I don't need to!
A friend of mine's mother, aged 90, passed her medical the other day, so I don't think most people will have any problem.

Last time I did mine I was not too sure about the eyesight test, but I passed. Although the guy who carried out the test later whispered in my ear that I should get my eyes checked !!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:14 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine's mother, aged 90, passed her medical the other day, so I don't think most people will have any problem.

Last time I did mine I was not too sure about the eyesight test, but I passed. Although the guy who carried out the test later whispered in my ear that I should get my eyes checked !!!!!
Don't forget, that if you do wear glasses, then you must carry a spare pair in the car at all times.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 2:24 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't forget, that if you do wear glasses, then you must carry a spare pair in the car at all times.
Am I correct in believing if one needs specs to drive that is noted on the DL ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.