Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Driving licence and passport names different

Driving licence and passport names different

Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Driving licence and passport names different

When I divorced I changed my driving licence (which is the photo type) back to my maiden name but my passport had only been renewed a couple of yrs so I have left it till it needs changing again.

Moving to Spain and would like to drive there with my Brit car, will not having both doc's in the same name be a problem if I carry a copy of my birth certificate and my decree absolute with me.

Has never posed a problem in the UK as never needed passport and licence together.

Has anyone had a similar problem and most of all is it possible.

Last edited by jay01; Aug 10th 2009 at 4:07 pm. Reason: Addition of text
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving licence and passport names different

Originally Posted by jay01
When I divorced I changed my driving licence (which is the photo type) back to my maiden name but my passport had only been renewed a couple of yrs so I have left it till it needs changing again.

Moving to Spain and would like to drive there with my Brit car, will not having both doc's in the same name be a problem if I carry a copy of my birth certificate and my decree absolute with me.

Has never posed a problem in the UK as never needed passport and licence together.

Yes I would think so .

Ive got a history of names(maiden married maiden married) also and even in the UK I ve had to gather my name changing info at times.

I am not having a laugh thinking about spanish bureaucracy today and we havent gone yet.

I envisage problems cos you cant match your id up and I think also with all in order in the same name isnt good enough sometimes.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will possibly have problems. Just had one in the office the other day - passport in maiden name, NIE in maiden name, residency certificate in maiden name, documentation from Newcastle in married name - no office would accept the documentation because it was in different names even though she could produce marriage certificate. It may have been "jobsworth" but she still didn't get anywhere.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:39 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been asked for my passport in all the time I have been here. In fact I wonder why I carry it (apart from I'm supposed to).

I've been stopped a few times and all they have ever asked for is my driving licence, and on one occasion the insurance.

Sods law rules OK though
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:08 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I recently re-married and my new English wife enquired about all the name changes that would be necessary for her to 'exist' legally here in Spain. We're both fluent in Spanish and English, and have some knowledge of English law.

We started on our list in England; bank accounts, house deeds, more than one occupational pension, life insurances, driving licence, etc etc.

Then we started on the Spanish list: Residencia, NIE. Padron, driving liceence, Escrituras, wills, passport etc etc.

Then we stopped and came to the conclusion that it was impossible - we could not get all the documents together to satisfy the authorities, here, or, and, in England.

We may try again next year.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I would think the Guardia would take your PP as your ID and probably fine you for driving without a licence.
Get the name changed on your PP before you leave, it will be half the price in the UK too.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

It only costs 72 pounds (in the UK) to change name on passport to your maiden name.

Spanish women do not take their husbands surname when marrying which is why you will almost certainly come up against problems here.

Its often difficult enough to get things done when in possession of the correct docs with jobsworth not up to date with current legislation. They have no idea whatsoever what is legal or not in another country so tons of paperwork only serves to make the situation worse.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:08 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

To make matters worse, we got married in an exotic location, which provided us with an exotic marriage certificate, which clearly did not impress the few officials we have so far approached in our quest to become 'legal'.

The only authorities ready to change the names at the stroke of a pen were two large British banks, surprisingly, but that caused even more problems further down the line; even last night she couldn't book a flight home because the security information didn't comply with the previous information supplied two years ago and there was no point in trying to persuade Easyjet to change it, it didn't have the relevant boxes. If it did it would need a million of them.

What's the answer? We're learning to lie, and I suspect we will be lying for some time to come.