Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

DRIVING LICENCE INFO REQUIRED--URGENT

DRIVING LICENCE INFO REQUIRED--URGENT

Old Mar 17th 2018, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Jamtart98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default DRIVING LICENCE INFO REQUIRED--URGENT

I doubt if there is a solution to this right now but perhaps someone has had a similar experience and can give me advice.

I renewed my driving licence (European PLastic) at a local clinic on the 2nd of March this year. They advised me I would receive my new one within two weeks.
It has not arrived.

They gave me a document which authorises me to drive until my new one arrives.

My problem is that I am flying to Edinburgh on Wednesday morning arriving 9.30am.

I have a rental car reserved at the Airport commencing 10.00 am.

The Document I have authorising me to drive is only valid in SPAIN.

This will not be acceptable to the rental company.

I have spoken with the Guardia Civil re a possible endorsement to the Document but they say I will have to contact DGT in Malaga.

I have until 10 am on Monday morning to find a solution or I will have to cancel the car hire to avoid being charged the full hire price for cancelling in under 48 hours.

Possibilities are going directly to DGT when it opens at 8.30am on Monday morning in the hope they can offer a solution or going to my local main post office first thing to enquire if they have it there.

If anyone has an alternative suggestion I would be very grateful to receive it/them.

Thank You
Old Mar 17th 2018, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DRIVING LICENCE INFO REQUIRED--URGENT

Best thing, speak to the car hire company and explain, they may understand. Two weeks is perhaps a little hopeful, but you never know!
Old Mar 17th 2018, 2:34 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jamtart98

I renewed my driving licence (European PLastic) at a local clinic on the 2nd of March this year.
There's no such thing as an European plastic licence - do you mean Spanish (I assume so) - The 'E' stands for Spain not European.

As suggested, best to ask the hire company as there is nothing else that you can do,.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 2:35 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, the hire company can decide to allow it if they want to.. getting the document modified won’t make any difference as their rules (laid down by their insurance company) will require a valid licence.

It’s not an unusual situation and the same would apply if you were in between licence coming from the UK tp Spain.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 3:20 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I was in a similar situation although my licence did come through in time - but what I did was to apply for an international permit to drive which cost in the region of ten euros I believe.

Ask you car hire company if that is acceptable as I was able to get one instantly

Davexf
Old Mar 19th 2018, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

An IDP is not a licence and is only valid in conjunction with one. Seldom was an official document more poorly and confusingly named and I'd be extremely surprised if any car hire company accepted an IDP on it's own.

Similar confusion existed, and still exists, over the now abolished paper counterpart to the UK photocard licence with many believing it to be a licence in and of itself and as such valid beyond the expiry of the accompanying card but of course it was nothing of the sort and as it didn't even list the groups you were entitled to drive never could have been.

I would argue that there is a 'European' licence, it's the whole point of phootocards, a common format throughout the Union
Old Mar 19th 2018, 7:04 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
An IDP is not a licence and is only valid in conjunction with one. Seldom was an official document more poorly and confusingly named and I'd be extremely surprised if any car hire company accepted an IDP on it's own.

Similar confusion existed, and still exists, over the now abolished paper counterpart to the UK photocard licence with many believing it to be a licence in and of itself and as such valid beyond the expiry of the accompanying card but of course it was nothing of the sort and as it didn't even list the groups you were entitled to drive never could have been.

I would argue that there is a 'European' licence, it's the whole point of phootocards, a common format throughout the Union
Hola

I think you miss the point; the poster HAS got a licence albeit a temporary one for Spain only - I reiterate - in the same situation I got an international permit from Trafico which may be acceptable to the hire car company

Davexf
Old Mar 19th 2018, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

Bang on correct. The only issue for the OP is if the temporary document will back up an IDP.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies and the advice.

I will phone the hire company although it`s hopeless as it just keeps going to voicemail.

I phoned them first thing Sunday morning to cancel before the 48 hour penalty kicked in.

I will now attempt to get an IDP and see if it gets me any further forward.

I went to Correos this morning but they could,nt help other than say it would take longer than two weeks to receive my new licence.

I also intend to write to DGT asking why a temporary licence is restricted to Spain. especially if you are waiting weeks to receive a new one.

Surely it `s a restriction on "Freedom of Movement within the EC"?
Old Mar 19th 2018, 8:34 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

An "IDP" from America is frankly, a joke. It means nothing really. Americans pay $20 and the document is handed to them. No test. Nothing. Just a document in a number of languages, requesting that the bearer be allowed to drive in a foreign country.

I'm a bit surprised that any country would recognise it as any assurance that the driver has any clue. Yet, it seems to be a technical requirement in some countries. And I doubt they even get a penny of the $20.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 9:55 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
An "IDP" from America is frankly, a joke. It means nothing really. Americans pay $20 and the document is handed to them. No test. Nothing. Just a document in a number of languages, requesting that the bearer be allowed to drive in a foreign country.

I'm a bit surprised that any country would recognise it as any assurance that the driver has any clue. Yet, it seems to be a technical requirement in some countries. And I doubt they even get a penny of the $20.
All an IDP is, is a confirmation that you have a licence to drive (this or that) in a language of the host country you are visiting.
It is recognised by most county's as it is issued by an official dept in the country where the "driving licence" was also issued.
Nothing to do with driving.
Nothing to do with tests.
Nothing to do with a drivers ability or ........... not ?
Old Mar 19th 2018, 10:41 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Since the OP no longer has a valid licence I don’t see how an IDP would solve the problem.

It’s no different from attempting to travel when your passport is in the process of being renewed. Basically, you can’t travel, and in this case, you can’t hire a car.

Hindsight is easy, but the answer is to plan your applications for renewals allowing plenty of time for the process to complete.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

UPDATE.
I,m now back from my visit to the UK and on the Monday evening before my Wednesday early morning departure I checked with two different Gestorias who advised me that irrespective of obtaining an IDP the Temporary Document authorising me to drive restricted me to driving in Spain. They advise that this is normal in most countries.
They also said I would probably have to wait 1 maybe 2 months for my new one to arrive.
However be it divine intervention,fate,destiny,post office felt sorry for me and had another look but the new licence arrived mid-day the day BEFORE my trip. So all was well that ended well although it seems incredible.
Thank You all for your help and advice.

P.S. Fred I think I mentioned earlier that had the clinic where I renewed the licence five years ago not sent me a text saying it would expire in three days time I would still be using it now. It`s not something that comes to mind every month or so.Well at least with me.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:20 pm

The probability is that if you had, no one would notice!

Glad it arrived OK, most people’s experience is that they only take about 2 weeks on average.

When you think about it, it’s a much better system than in the UK where medicals are not required even if you are obviously unsafe to drive and the way it is now set up where the medical centre do all the work and even take the photos is very good. Last time they kept taking photos until they had one I liked! The money they get for doing it hardly covers the cost. If you went to the same clinic and has as many tests and consultations for a medical condition, the cost would run into 3 figures!
Old Mar 31st 2018, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Post Brexit visitors with UK licences might find themselves in need of an IDP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.